Project: Shouldn't have to do this

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Caught a sweet break today, guy didn't go on vacation yet at the machine shop and finished up my rods! Block will go back together tomorrow.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Here is the current status, waiting on 1 rod bearing because I had one defective one which had a chip in it :icon_mad:

Tomorrow I will sandblast and paint some engine bracketry, should get the bearing Tuesday.

p1112429_1.jpg

p1112429_2.jpg

Jeff

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
IJ.;1088128 said:
That head looks VERY rough for 30ra......

Painting inside a block is a bit of an old school thing believed to aid the Oil drainback... (I don't buy it)

yeah, its a special type of paint called "glyptol" as i recall. spelling might be off. i know lots of old school guys that did it and never had probs. its to help speed the oil drainback to the pan. supposedly a sliperier surface then the block. kinda beats trying to polish the inside of the block like the group a motors were done.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
williamb82;1112991 said:
yeah, its a special type of paint called "glyptol" as i recall. spelling might be off. i know lots of old school guys that did it and never had probs. its to help speed the oil drainback to the pan. supposedly a sliperier surface then the block. kinda beats trying to polish the inside of the block like the group a motors were done.

Maybe for my next build...hopefully no time soon! :)

Update for today, sandblasting, 2 coats of primer, and 2 out 4 of the brackets have 2 coats of black on them. My engine bay is turning into a satin black, silver, and polished piece. Also got in my last rod bearing and oil pump torqued in to specs. Tomorrow more painting brackets, more assembly of the front cover.

p1113280_1.jpg

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
I need to order a bunch of stuff from Toyota tomorrow. More painting parts today.

Question: Can I cut and block off this already blocked off hardline off my heater hardline to make it shorter and cleaner? Also what does it go to?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
from memory, doesnt that feed the TB/ISCV? Its commonly deleted and you can just crimp it and weld it shut. I also cut the coolant nipples off the TB and ISC when I did that.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Facime;1114237 said:
from memory, doesnt that feed the TB/ISCV? Its commonly deleted and you can just crimp it and weld it shut. I also cut the coolant nipples off the TB and ISC when I did that.

Sweet, will do that tomorrow!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Thought you're supposed to loop it to the fitting on the lower intake manifold so coolant still flows the way it should through the block?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I could be wrong, its been a while since I even looked at a 7M, but if nothing else is in that circuit then it shouldnt need to have an in/out direction to flow. Its an auxiliary circuit with one purpose and thats the TB/ISC. Unless there is something else in that circuit Im not remembering. The heater core circuit is much the same way, its blocked some of the time.

EDIT: just looked at the TSRM and there is nothing else in that circuit, and in fact the diagram shows it joins the flow downstream of the heater core. I see no logical reason that cant be deleted entirely, much like the heater core can be for those going for hardcore weight reduction.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Facime;1114873 said:
I could be wrong, its been a while since I even looked at a 7M, but if nothing else is in that circuit then it shouldnt need to have an in/out direction to flow. Its an auxiliary circuit with one purpose and thats the TB/ISC. Unless there is something else in that circuit Im not remembering. The heater core circuit is much the same way, its blocked some of the time.

EDIT: just looked at the TSRM and there is nothing else in that circuit, and in fact the diagram shows it joins the flow downstream of the heater core. I see no logical reason that cant be deleted entirely, much like the heater core can be for those going for hardcore weight reduction.

Excellent, I've already had the car running on this setup and didn't have any overheating problems and I see the port on the lower intake manifold today and its been blocked off as well so I assume I'm good to go cut it off.

Today: I got the lower timing cover on, waiting on a few gaskets and tomorrow I should have it all together down there.

p1115142_1.jpg

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Pictureless update: Water pump, crank gear, and oil pump gear are on. Working on cleaning up the head right now while waiting for my head gasket. My dad's gonna teach me how to shim cams and how to put a head together tomorrow so I should have updates tomorrow and hopefully learn a lot as well!

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
It's coming together! HKS 2.0mm bead-type MHG came in today and I put the head on today torqued down on my ARP studs to 80 ft. lbs. with the moly lube. Also threw the transmission belhousing gull wings on. Tomorrow, manifolds go on and **hopefully** drop the engine in the car!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1120741_1.jpg

p1120741_2.jpg

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Damn you are running WOT with this thing!

Where are you getting your stuff sandblasted? I've got a couple of small items I need blasted, and I don't feel like going to Ocala to do them ;)

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Doward;1120895 said:
Damn you are running WOT with this thing!

Where are you getting your stuff sandblasted? I've got a couple of small items I need blasted, and I don't feel like going to Ocala to do them ;)

I'm actually pretty pissed that I realize I've been really fucking slow and lazy on this project, I should have been driving the car a long time ago so I've been kicking and busting ass lately and shit is finally getting done.

Partsco, I can sneak in a few small items for ya John. Btw did you drop off those 13's?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Not yet, ended up taking Brian (BlackSS on here) down to get a new car - a nice silver 6 speed LS1 '98 Z28 for $5400 ;) WITH 30k less miles than his old car! (this one has 92k miles!)

I'll bring them with me if I think of it tomorrow morn!

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Intake manifold check, cams check, exhaust manifold check, heater hardline check. Waiting on the oil filter housing gasket and mainly just cleaning parts before installation, engine will be ready to put in if not in by tomorrow night!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1121893_1.jpg