Project: Shouldn't have to do this

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I put new Toyota main bolts in. Don't just reuse your stock main bolts without checking them out first, is what they are saying :)

Yeah, it's good to be back!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I change out my ARP's and the 2000 series bolts in the Pauter Rods every 3rd>4th rebuild/teardown just to be safe.

There is probably no reason at all to do this but having lost an engine to a rod bolt in the old days it's cheap insurance.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Per Bryan Maloof (the machinist that did my work) the absolute bottom end (mains) of the 7M will handle every bit of power you can throw at it. The main bolts, stock, are anything BUT weak and unreliable!

Rod bolts, on the other hand, see a lot more cyclic stress.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Funds are my only obstacle at the moment, I scored a deal on 94 Legend for $300, nothing wrong with it but a messy interior I cleaned up. Suprawise, I scrounged up enough to go pick up my bearings tomorrow and actually do some assembly. Someone check back tomorrow and make sure somethings done or I need to kick my own ass. And here's a pic on the stand, OH and I retapped every hole and stud on the block.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

AND can anyone tell me what this is and if I need it or should use it on my current block? It was on the center main cap.
p1100284_1.jpg

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Last edited:

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Yes the head has some porting done. The metal piece wasn't left in there by the machine shop it been in the engine since I've had it and it didn't cause me any problems but the question is do I use it?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Interesting...

Very very interesting...

Definately not something I've seen before. The main cap was modified to fit it, and it's obviously there to strengthen it. Maybe the engine builder had seen breaks in main caps because of the machining for the thrust washers? Really odd...

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
IJ, should I use it in my new shortblock? I assume getting if checked if I go this route as well?

BTW sorry guys the engine got nothing today I forgot the machine shop is closed on the weekends duh! But updates will come Monday!

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Bank couldn't cash my check till tomorrow so the assembly went on hold, but I put in some block sensors, did some polishing on the turbo compressor housing and thermostat housing. Also cut off the j tube and smoothed it down, ready for some black paint!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1102273_1.jpg

(gonna be sandblasted before paint)
p1102273_2.jpg