Project: Shouldn't have to do this

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Looks more like it was surfaced with a belt sander than anything. That gouge/chip doesnt look healthy either. If it were my engine I would find another head.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Faded87T

Nov 29, 2006
Richmond,VA
Yeah both places look like pitting from lack of coolant changes &/or driving it with a BHG. I'm surprised they didn't keep surfacing the head until those marks were gone. I'd be afraid to use it that way.

Dale

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dale: As long as they don't extend under the gasket sealing surface they'll be fine, there's a limit to how much you can remove from a 7M head the surface isn't that thick.

On a related note I saw errosion like that starting using Green coolant on a brand new block within 2 weeks :(

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
I have an extra head laying around but I'd rather use this one because its been ported slightly.

IJ: What I'm getting is if the gasket it in anyway "moved" from the pit I should use the other head?...I'll just post a picture when I get the head gasket? Oh also, I was thinking about going with ARP main studs but I've been TOLD that I'd have to remachine or use different or something for them, is that true?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It all locates on dowel pins so it can't "move"

Lay the HG on the head line up the dowel holes grab a sharpie and trace around the holes in the gasket and take a pic.

If the errosion ISN'T under the gasket edge it'll seal no probs.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'd get the block align-honed with the main studs due to differences in clamping force - but honestly, our stock bolts are RIDICULOUSLY strong for the bottom end - you won't see much in the way of extra strength going with the main studs.

As for the head RA, please tell me you didn't let Partsco do the machine work on that head. I had them do my head (it was Adam that did the work, actually) and the brand new Titan MHG would not seal on it. I brought that head with me to Bryan Maloof, and he said the RA was nowhere near the 25 I asked for. When he did my head for me, it came out almost like a mirror!

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Doward;1088809 said:
I'd get the block align-honed with the main studs - but honestly, our stock bolts are RIDICULOUSLY strong for the bottom end - you won't see much in the way of extra strength going with the main studs.

As for the head RA, please tell me you didn't let Partsco do the machine work on that head. I had them do my head (it was Adam that did the work, actually) and the brand new Titan MHG would not seal on it. I brought that head with me to Bryan Maloof, and he said the RA was nowhere near the 25 I asked for. When he did my head for me, it came out almost like a mirror!

JOHN! Glad your back.

Anyways, I'm gonna take the head back to Partsco and make sure I get it 30RA, I know the new guy in the head room and I'll repost once I get it back to see if its up to par. I kind of have to go with Partsco because of price and conveinace but I'll make sure I get a good job.

I'll keep the stock mains, that's the $125 savings I wanted to hear :)

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Poodles;1088830 said:
600Hp is in the "go big or go home" territory...

I plan to go big, beat hard, track and drive this car a ton! This car will see the dragstrips, airstrips, autocross, and local highway... :)