My restoration project - Rusty 89

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
gtsfirefighter;1268635 said:
That harness sure is purty. I've got a 91 automatic and should really splurge for one, if they have it.

Adam, are you going to have this on the road this season. I've waited patiently for two winters and then some and I really don't know how much more I can stand. Honestly....:biglaugh:

From my understanding they still carry 89+ harness and 90+ auto harnesses still

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
gtsfirefighter;1268635 said:
That harness sure is purty. I've got a 91 automatic and should really splurge for one, if they have it.

Adam, are you going to have this on the road this season? I've waited patiently for two winters and then some and I really don't know how much more I can stand. Honestly....:biglaugh:

I'm 100% certain it will be on the road this season, hopefully before July. There really isn't that much left to do.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
JDMMA70;1268633 said:
yes i am :( Pre89, i found a some what good condition 91 harness that im going to use to make my exsisting harness like new :D I would love to have that black cover that goes across the valve covers.

I hope someone starts making harnesses, like they do for the Z, and old muscle car guys.

It really wouldn't be that tough to make your own harness actually. I sourced most of the pins used on our harness, as well as the proper crimp tool for reasonably cheap. All you would need is a lot of wire, connector bodies scavenged from other harnesses/junk yard, and some patience.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
adampecush;1268671 said:
It really wouldn't be that tough to make your own harness actually. I sourced most of the pins used on our harness, as well as the proper crimp tool for reasonably cheap. All you would need is a lot of wire, connector bodies scavenged from other harnesses/junk yard, and some patience.

would you mind telling us where you sourced the pins, connectors and crimp tool from?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Here are some adapter harnesses for my injectors. While the white connectors don't directly clip into the harness, all I had to do was de-pin the stock connectors and clip on the appropriate mating connectors. (note, I've still gotta order a few more plug assemblies...)
p1271502_1.jpg

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Figured out the throttle body...it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Now, no more hitting the hood, although I still might have to make some adjustments to the leverage of the gas pedal.

Before (it was the silver arm that hit the hood)
p1284645_1.jpg

After (black arm directly connected to throttle plate)
p1284645_2.jpg

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Was the plate travel non-linear before?
It looks the way the black piece was slotted into the silver one that were made to swing the silver piece faster as you get closer to WOT. I see that kind of thing on a lot of cars.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
miekedmr;1285423 said:
Was the plate travel non-linear before?
It looks the way the black piece was slotted into the silver one that were made to swing the silver piece faster as you get closer to WOT. I see that kind of thing on a lot of cars.

Correct. Like most throttle lever arrangements, it is set up so there is a lot of pedal travel for the initial opening of the throttle and less for WOT, making the car a lot more driver-friendly. I'll see how this works out, I may have to hit the junk yard in search of "profiled" throttle levers.

I did install the TB last night and pedal travel is perfect for opening the TB all the way...so that's a step in the right direction at least.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
sthmstr;1288654 said:
Fantastic restoration!!! Great work!!

Do you happen to have a link for the rear brake conversion?

not really, I just kind of made it up as I went along. It really helps to have a machine shop at your disposal. If you want, I can list everything you need to have made/purchase to make the conversion work.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
And to the engineers who designed the engine bay wiring harness, you can lick my sweaty beanbag. Thanks for making the rear transmission plug easily accessible.[/sarcasm] Bastards.

(if anybody has tried to change an engine bay wiring harness, you'll understand)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
mobes;1289666 said:
Oh I understand, and I concur.

I finally added a Deutsch connector to that wire near the starter.

My first thought was to add a connector to that line, but I couldn't bring myself to cut a new harness. Crimping those wires in the engine bay would have been a pain in the ass as well.

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
adampecush;1289654 said:
not really, I just kind of made it up as I went along. It really helps to have a machine shop at your disposal. If you want, I can list everything you need to have made/purchase to make the conversion work.

That'd be awesome if you could. I'm kinda frustrated with my Samurai right now and i'm gonna go back to working on my Supra. I really wanna finish my suspension and braking in the next couple months. Thanks for your help!