maftpro is working

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
ARGHRGHRHGHRHGHGHRGHRGH! i was just finishing typing up a single reply to everyone and my browser crashed! AAAAAGHRHRGHRGHRGHRGHRGHRGHRGH. anyway, fear not, i'll reply to everyone later today.....too ticked off @ the computer to do it now. ;)

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
If my reply is any longer than a paragraph, it's typed in word. I've had the browser crap too many times for that. It's soooo annoying when that happens.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
drjonez said:
ARGHRGHRHGHRHGHGHRGHRGH! i was just finishing typing up a single reply to everyone and my browser crashed! AAAAAGHRHRGHRGHRGHRGHRGHRGHRGH. anyway, fear not, i'll reply to everyone later today.....too ticked off @ the computer to do it now. ;)

lol ive had that happen before as well.... since you are gonna reply later.... this system works with an GM map sensor or will it work with any map sensor period?

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
after reading the replies in this thread. I'm sold. I'll be going maftpro on my next Mkiii. i'm exteremely glad new products are coming out in full-force! go back four years ago and no one was even thinking about this stuff.

if the maftpro will work with big singles and control 30+lbs of boost, I'll be even more sold when the time comes.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Wow, after reading through this thread I am completly sold on the MAFTPro. I was going to just go with the normal MAFT but not anymore.

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
I'm sold!

Doc I will be in touch with you in the next few weeks to purchase one once I sell my existing MAF-T/S-AFC setup.

But before I do that, Is the ZT-2 wideband going to work with the MAFTpro?

Travisimo

I need a job
Apr 9, 2005
Sonoma, California
CtSupra said:
after reading the replies in this thread. I'm sold. I'll be going maftpro on my next Mkiii. i'm exteremely glad new products are coming out in full-force! go back four years ago and no one was even thinking about this stuff.

if the maftpro will work with big singles and control 30+lbs of boost, I'll be even more sold when the time comes.
A 3 bar map sensor can't read over 29 psig, but their site says you can use a 5 bar. I'd use a 4 if possible for more resolution.

Seems this thread is really sellin Maftpros. Just make sure you guys tell them it's for a Mk3 (I don't know if it's really universal or you need to) so they see how the crowd is coming out and will have more upgrades.

Turbo Denis

Apr 4, 2005
Toronto
I think im also sold, but i had three questions.

Im running the AEM wideband with the Bosch sensor, would it be possible to adapt MAFT Pro to use TAF feature with it, and/or datalog it?

Is there any control over ignition/timing with this unit?

Is there any nitrous control that would allow me to easly adjust fuel maps for use with nitrous?
Thanks

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
Fuzz420 said:
Thanks please find out a definate answer.If it turns out it can handle the flapper system that would open up many more possibilties.

The definite answer is that someone would need to flowbench the flap AFM while powered and record the output vs. flow. Once we have those numbers we can add the flap AFM to MAFT pro.

lagged said:
so, this completely solves the problem of tuning during openloop operation that you would have otherwise have had to go standalone to get around?

I’ll assume you mean closed loop. ;) The three different throttle ranges and the A/F tracking certainly would help to minimize any problems you have closed loop or w/the closed/open loop transition.

tte said:
I am very interested in this setup.
Why dont someone compile this info into a list which would be easier for those who are not familiar with MAFT-PRO?...example..

MAFT-PRO Unit with harness - $399 +$24

For Speed density:
MAFT-PRO unit with harness + whatever sensors.

And list other options...

Would be a great help...

Cheers,
Roy

There really seems to be some confusion about what all the MAFT pro can do. The nice thing is the flexibility:

-you can buy the unit itself for $399 and use it like a SAFC until you can afford to go farther
-you can use it like the original MAFT and use a GM hotwire MAF (blowthrough, etc.). all you need is a GM MAF
-you can use it to go speed/density (i.e. no AFM or MAF). All you need is the MAP + IAT + harnesses (which harnesses you get depends on how you’re going to wire it…).
-you can use it to control boost in addition to any of the above, you’ll just need the boost control solenoid + the harness.

Travisimo said:
that's what I mean, MAP in the spot of the 3000 pipe. I've heard people call that blow through MAP, maybe I'm a little confused.
The internet isn't an infallible resource?

MAP = manifold absolute pressure, i.e. speed/density method of fuel/timing control.

Blow through = blowing through a GM MAF.

Blue87T(Dan) said:
Might as well throw this out since many of us own the ZT2 WB which I believe is not on a linear scale. Will the A/F on the fly tuning work with this or must the input to the unit be linear?

The ZT2 factors will be added to the next software release.

JT87NA said:
Could this be run with 7MGE electronics?

Please read above.

Idealsupra said:
personally i wouldnt want my air/fuel device tuning boost also...unless its standalone which all these piggybacks obviously arent. for some reason it bothers me.

To each their own, personally I find too many “black boxes” floating around to be annoying…better to condense it all into one box.

Idealsupra said:
the map ecu does have a IAT sensor that has to be purchased to run without the afm...and uses that in tuning purposes.

yup, it does. The important thing is WHAT does it do w/it…..AFAIK it’s only used to fool the stock ECU into not freaking about about the absence of the stock temp sensor….it’s not used for temp correction in the speed/density calculation.

Idealsupra said:
the map ecu doesnt have a little keypad but frankly i like that...i like that i can unplug a cable and not have a box sitting there all the time...and plugging a laptop in is easy as hell. not to mention aside from tuning you shouldnt have to mess with it every day all day anyways.

good point. If you feel this way, just do the same w/the MAFT pro. ;)

Idealsupra said:
and finally the map ecu DOES use wideband input and log it and will help build maps based on it.... you just need to make the sure the WB is compatable with it...

yup, but can it alter the mixture based on this input? Nope.

Idealsupra said:
so like i said before....i still vote mapecu...however obviously the product development is AWESOME...the more options the better IMO so i commend you for helping the development and its a great piece.

thanks!

Idealsupra said:
lol ive had that happen before as well.... since you are gonna reply later.... this system works with an GM map sensor or will it work with any map sensor period?

Any MAP sensor can be used, the “cal factors” just need to be present in the MAFT pro. Example a: I’m currently using an AEM 3.5 bar MAP.

CtSupra said:

good to hear! The reason I jumped on board was to help bring some new/better products to the MKIII platform.

Loki said:
Wow, after reading through this thread I am completly sold on the MAFTPro. I was going to just go with the normal MAFT but not anymore.

Excellent! The MAFT pro is definitely a better choice if your goals are higher….

blackout_89t said:
I'm sold!

Doc I will be in touch with you in the next few weeks to purchase one once I sell my existing MAF-T/S-AFC setup.

But before I do that, Is the ZT-2 wideband going to work with the MAFTpro?

Sweet! Just drop me a line when you’re ready to order….

As for the ZT, read above, it will be added to the next software release.

Travisimo said:
A 3 bar map sensor can't read over 29 psig, but their site says you can use a 5 bar. I'd use a 4 if possible for more resolution.

Right on….then again, how many people will run over 30 psi? ;)

Travisimo said:
Seems this thread is really sellin Maftpros. Just make sure you guys tell them it's for a Mk3 (I don't know if it's really universal or you need to) so they see how the crowd is coming out and will have more upgrades.

Seems to be sparking interest, though I haven’t had any orders yet…..all the more reason to order through me as they know what car I am supporting. ;)

Turbo Denis said:
I think im also sold, but i had three questions.

Im running the AEM wideband with the Bosch sensor, would it be possible to adapt MAFT Pro to use TAF feature with it, and/or datalog it?

Yup, the AEM WB is currently supported. You can log it and use it for A/F tracking.

Turbo Denis said:
Is there any control over ignition/timing with this unit?

This is in the works….watch this space! ;)

Turbo Denis said:
Is there any nitrous control that would allow me to easly adjust fuel maps for use with nitrous?
Thanks

There isn’t a N2O control directly, but there is an aux in that you can use to trigger extra fuel, etc. that should work pretty well with N2O.

Turbo Denis

Apr 4, 2005
Toronto
Doc, you're the shit!
More questions:
How much is the boost controll solenoid? I cant find the price anywhere.
Is there a way to scale the AFM signal to deal with the boost cut?
Is it possible to use other brand MAP and IAT sensors? I dont like having anything GM in my car :)
Thanks

kikdurazz

what's the birdcage for?
Apr 1, 2005
winnipeg
If you are clamping the signal what issues will you have with tuning?
Would you have to then run larger injectors so that you are not leaning out past that certain hz that is clamped? Would clamping the signal really be necessary?

With the MAFT-pro is fuel cut just raised? I have the LEX/550 and SAFC now and am planning on upgrading to an SP63. I hit fuelcut with the setup as it is now on 60-1 at 20psi, would the MAFT-pro be able to resolve these issues? When adjusting the fuel how much timing adjustment is putting you into the danger zone of grenading the motor? Or will it be safe just running higher octane?

How far away is development for the timing control?

How hard is the wiring setup for the novice, installer and the userbility of the unit? Basically is it idiot friendly. :1zhelp:
With the function for the WB AF control manually adjusting, how would you set that up if just going to the dyno to tune or is it only meant to work if you have a personal WB installed in the car?

Sorry for all the Questions, just looking for something cost effective to use that is a little more advanced then LEX/AFM to keep me out of fuelcut at 20-22psi with functionality for improvement in tuning for the future.

Last edited:

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
Hey Doc, You haven't answer my question! ;-)
-----------
Question about MAFT-Pro software update: can I update software (firmware) in the future myself? (using PC with some cable maybe?) or should I send it to manufacturer for update?

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
so, what are the basic functions of the unit- meaning before you add any of those extra goodies what will just the basic unit do without any additions to it?

can the boost control solenoid and the MAP/IAT/Harness be purchased from you? or should that be bought elsewhere?

Last edited:

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
kikdurazz said:
If you are clamping the signal what issues will you have with tuning?
Would you have to then run larger injectors so that you are not leaning out past that certain hz that is clamped? Would clamping the signal really be necessary?

the AFM signal clamp is meant as a more "advanced" tuning technique....eventually i'll write somehing up on it...

kikdurazz said:
With the MAFT-pro is fuel cut just raised? I have the LEX/550 and SAFC now and am planning on upgrading to an SP63. I hit fuelcut with the setup as it is now on 60-1 at 20psi, would the MAFT-pro be able to resolve these issues? When adjusting the fuel how much timing adjustment is putting you into the danger zone of grenading the motor? Or will it be safe just running higher octane?

FCO will get moved based on tuning- lean it out (remove AFM signal) and FCO moves up. how far depends on your setup.

as with all AFM scaling devices, it's near impossible to quantify the changes made to timing based on % AFM scale. a good rule of thumb is nothing larger than 25%.

kikdurazz said:
How far away is development for the timing control?

it's mid-way down the list....in theory it SHOULDN'T be too hard, but we'll see.

kikdurazz said:
How hard is the wiring setup for the novice, installer and the userbility of the unit? Basically is it idiot friendly. :1zhelp:
With the function for the WB AF control manually adjusting, how would you set that up if just going to the dyno to tune or is it only meant to work if you have a personal WB installed in the car?

wiring is no more difficult than a SAFC install.

the A/F control is meant to have a WB permanently installed in your car.

kikdurazz said:
Sorry for all the Questions, just looking for something cost effective to use that is a little more advanced then LEX/AFM to keep me out of fuelcut at 20-22psi with functionality for improvement in tuning for the future.

not a problem. sounds like you're moving more towards the standalone territory than anything. it also sounds like you need to do some reading on basic tuning/function of the systems in a MKIII....you're on dangerous ground, if you're unsure or not clear on anything it's best to see a local shop.