maftpro is working

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
QuikSylver6 said:
so, what are the basic functions of the unit- meaning before you add any of those extra goodies what will just the basic unit do without any additions to it?

basic functions w/o any extra harnesses/parts: AFM scaling (same deal as SAFC), sensor monitor, datalogging, aux output.

QuikSylver6 said:
can the boost control solenoid and the MAP/IAT/Harness be purchased from you? or should that be bought elsewhere?

yessir, you can buy anything that fullthrottlespeed sells from me. just drop me a line and we'll get it rolling.

kikdurazz

what's the birdcage for?
Apr 1, 2005
winnipeg
drjonez said:
the AFM signal clamp is meant as a more "advanced" tuning technique....eventually i'll write somehing up on it...

FCO will get moved based on tuning- lean it out (remove AFM signal) and FCO moves up. how far depends on your setup.

as with all AFM scaling devices, it's near impossible to quantify the changes made to timing based on % AFM scale. a good rule of thumb is nothing larger than 25%.

it's mid-way down the list....in theory it SHOULDN'T be too hard, but we'll see.

wiring is no more difficult than a SAFC install.

the A/F control is meant to have a WB permanently installed in your car.

not a problem. sounds like you're moving more towards the standalone territory than anything. it also sounds like you need to do some reading on basic tuning/function of the systems in a MKIII....you're on dangerous ground, if you're unsure or not clear on anything it's best to see a local shop.

Thanks for the responses Doc. Cost wise and knowledge wise i do not have the expertise to go standalone, I do have a respectable shop that deals with the MKIII and I have a tuner here and a few boosted guys to help with tuning. I'm liking the advancement of the MAFT-pro. I would still like fuelcut in effect as a safety measure so that if I do boost too high I have the safety measure to save the motor.

With the clamped signal then would there then be an option later on for injector control?

Doc Can you point me to any good documents for tuning and function of the systems I have gotten bits and pieces from the net but nothing elaborate.

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
Sounds like this will be a great product.

As always, I have questions.

How would the boost control be adjusted? Would it be able to be done with the handheld (for lack of a better term) device. Will you be able to preprogram any triggers to adjust the boost such as TP. In other words, could I set my boost for a level say before 70% TP and once I exceed that could it automatically up the boost to a predetermined level.

Will the software datalog all the parameters it controls when running speed density.
Things like
PSI
A/F(used with a suitable WB)
RPM
TP
EGT(if you have a probe)
VF voltage
Karmann freq.
Timing (when available)
I would love to see what the ECU does with timing since as far as I know there has never been a product made for our cars to monitor it.

When do you feel code for the ZT will be available?

When do you feel the timing control option will be available?

Will the A/F autotune function be something that can be activated at a given TP while letting the ECU do the work in closed loop?

Will you or FTS offer a replacement pipe(with the proper ports and vacuum fittings) since when running speed density both the accordian hose and AFM can be eliminated but I would prefer to have my air filter as close to the snorkel hole as possible.

Will there be any way to set it up to trigger fuel cut at a given boost pressure since not all of us want to eliminate fuel cut?

I assume my 3.5 bar sensor from the ZT would work since you are also using a 3.5 bar sensor.

Sorry for all the questions.

Dan

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Regarding the closed loop with a wideband feature:

The common wisdom among experienced standalone tuners is that this isn't the best idea to use @ WOT. If the wideband isn't 100% accurate, the fuel will be off. In essence, you are "leaning" on the wideband and just like leaning on the knock sensors isn't the best idea, neither is leaning on the wideband.

Overall, the MAFT Pro seems like a really sweet piggyback so far, especially if they come thru with a timing monitor/control feature.

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
chevyeater said:

The common wisdom among experienced standalone tuners is that this isn't the best idea to use @ WOT. If the wideband isn't 100% accurate, the fuel will be off. In essence, you are "leaning" on the wideband and just like leaning on the knock sensors isn't the best idea, neither is leaning on the wideband.

Overall, the MAFT Pro seems like a really sweet piggyback so far, especially if they come thru with a timing monitor/control feature.

That's a good point, especially in my case, since I have my WB mounted in my test pipe. There is a short delay, maybe 0.1-0.25 sec depending on flow before my WB starts reading the proper AFR. That could get me in trouble if I were trying to tune to the limit. If you targeted a safer ratio (read richer) you might be able to set it and forget it, but of course you wouldn't be getting every bit out of it. Still a good feature I think, even if only for the entry level tune. I can just about guarantee it would give me a better tune than I currently have running with my SAFC, but that's my fault. :)

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
Blue87T(Dan) said:
Sounds like this will be a great product.

As always, I have questions.

How would the boost control be adjusted? Would it be able to be done with the handheld (for lack of a better term) device. Will you be able to preprogram any triggers to adjust the boost such as TP. In other words, could I set my boost for a level say before 70% TP and once I exceed that could it automatically up the boost to a predetermined level.

heh.....always w/the long questions, eh dan? ;)

boost control (as well as any other function) can be adjusted from the keypad. take a look @ this page to get an idea how you can configure boost control: http://www.maftpro.com/info.shtml

Blue87T(Dan) said:
Will the software datalog all the parameters it controls when running speed density.
Things like
PSI
A/F(used with a suitable WB)
RPM
TP
EGT(if you have a probe)
VF voltage
Karmann freq.
Timing (when available)
I would love to see what the ECU does with timing since as far as I know there has never been a product made for our cars to monitor it.

again, see http://www.maftpro.com/info.shtml for a list of what parameters you can log.

yup, i can't wait to see what the ECU does w/timing vs. % AFM scale. heck, i'd love to know what sort of timing it's putting out @ max flow....

Blue87T(Dan) said:
When do you feel code for the ZT will be available?

probably w/the next release of the software....

Blue87T(Dan) said:
When do you feel the timing control option will be available?

this will take some more work, i'm going to guess early next year if we can do it.

Blue87T(Dan) said:
Will the A/F autotune function be something that can be activated at a given TP while letting the ECU do the work in closed loop?

that's exactly what it is, see maftpro.com

Blue87T(Dan) said:
Will you or FTS offer a replacement pipe(with the proper ports and vacuum fittings) since when running speed density both the accordian hose and AFM can be eliminated but I would prefer to have my air filter as close to the snorkel hole as possible.

not to my knowledge. we may look into that if demand is high enough (HINT HINT...i.e. BUY 'EM!).

Blue87T(Dan) said:
Will there be any way to set it up to trigger fuel cut at a given boost pressure since not all of us want to eliminate fuel cut?

yup, that will be in the next software release or soon there after...

Blue87T(Dan) said:
I assume my 3.5 bar sensor from the ZT would work since you are also using a 3.5 bar sensor.

as long as the scaling/factors are readily available, yes.

Blue87T(Dan) said:
Sorry for all the questions.

Dan

no you're not! ;)

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
chevyeater said:

i fully agree on the WB thing....then again, if you can't trust your WB, why do you have it? aren't you "leaning" on it when you make power/tuning runs?

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
drjonez said:
i fully agree on the WB thing....then again, if you can't trust your WB, why do you have it? aren't you "leaning" on it when you make power/tuning runs?

I'd say we are just using it when tuning, not leaning on it. Just like using knock sensors and leaning on them are two different things. We have reasoning ability that will tell us when the wideband isn't correct. Tuning with a wideband allows you to analyze the data and decide if you want to believe it or not. A computer does not, it is taking the reading at face value, no matter what. I like to check my wideband against a reference too. Maybe I'm just a bit more anal than others...

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
drjonez said:

I bought my WB for the exact purpose of using it to tune. As Adam stated, if I can't trust whats coming out of it, why bother.

Edit-If Chevy is referring to not trusting the auto tune function, that I can understand.

Hey, give me credit for at least putting some thought into my questions.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
supralover2000 said:
Doc,
have you been using the MAFTPRO in your car since you began your involvement with FTS? If so, how does it compare to whatever you were using before it?

the MAFT pro is up and running on my car, running speed density and has been for a few weeks.

i have the AEM EMS, but i threw in the stock ECU to help out w/the MAFT pro development....

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
tte said:

yeah, it is kinda funny, but you need to look @ the point. i could care less if you buy through me....it's about supporting new products, not about making me $$. the thing that NEEDS to happen is people need to support new products like this. do you think it's a good thing? then say so by purchasing one.....just my $5....

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I think its the greatest thing in the world but I am so far in debt and now with no job it kind of sucks.

Someone want to buy me one? :) :)

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
keepin the 92 mint,

stil hunting for another 7m for rebuild and install of this. going for power not looks on the next one as soon as i find the platform.