Doward's 375rwhp Build.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Which belongs to the roommate, and you know it! 350 4 bolt sitting in the garage, waiting for said roommate to get off his ass and start working on it :3d_frown:

Notice the Supra resides in the garage, alone, though ;)

BlackSS

Nov 19, 2007
FL
Doward;878518 said:
Managed to wrangle some free time today - oil squirters are in, pics will be up later.

Thrust clearance - 0.004" ;)

You can put oil squirters in.....but you can't answer the damn phone!!!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Rod bearings are @ .017"

Shortblock is assembled.

Camera is giving me problems. :3d_frown: I will get this pics up TONIGHT dammit.

BlackSS

Nov 19, 2007
FL
Looks good.....and I JUST CALLED YOU...I KNOW YOU ARE THERE, YOU JUST POSTED!!! Looks like there won't be much left for me to help out on next week.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Alright, pulled the oil pan out. Gonna scrub it nice and clean, and then decide how I want to go about modifying it.

Thus far, my problems with the oil pan are 2 part:

1) Not nearly enough oil kept in the lower sump. Seems like you could suck almost all the oil out of there, especially in a road racing application, and suck up air into the pump.

2) Lack of oil control.

I've been studying IJ's pics of his GroupA pan (thank you very much for those pics, btw!) and I'm leaning toward the following:

a) Kick out both sides of the sump area, increasing approx 1qt on both sides.

b) Use the stock plate keeping oil down, and weld baffles around the oil pump pickup (think of taking a pipe and splitting it into 2 hemispheres, and splitting those hemispheres into half)

My primary concern with this, is under high rpm/high G turns.

I'll have pics up later of me starting this, as well as measuring exactly the current sump capacity.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
John did you ever see my oil pan, the guy before me modified it, I don't know if it could be of any help but I'll be at the shop tomorrow if you wanna drop by and check it out.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
csnow;881420 said:
That is a purdy short block.

Thanks!

Jeff - when you planning on being around the shop - I'd love to take a look :)

Sorry, no pics of things yet :( Vista SUCKS. I can't believe I'm putting myself through this :3d_frown:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Stock oil pan - 4 qts of liquid:

Stock oil pan - 5 qts of liquid:

As a little side note, 5 qts of liquid is almost exactly to the lip of the oil cooler return line.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Ok, did some cleaning and measuring of the stock oil pan.

Edge of the oil pump pickup is 5 and 13/16 inches from the oil pan rail. The stock oil pan is an additional 3/8" deep. This tells me that there is room to move the oil pump pickup down at least 1/4", so I'm going to work on that (may just unbolt the stock pickup, and see about building a new one)

Still working on a design for the oil pan kickouts and all. Need to go pick up some sheetmetal, as well ;)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Doward, I'm not a technical guru and you definately know more than I do, but I think that is too much water in your oilpan. I usually try to mix my oil to water at about 1 to 1..........:icon_roll

The shortblock looks awesome...............:love:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yeah, I was always under the impression that the stock oil pan sucked balls. It seems to me that anything short of the wildest builds, would do fine to simply run an oil accumulator as a precaution.

Gonna send Ian a PM, see if he's got any idea how much oil the 7M is keeping in the block at any given moment. I can see 1-1.5 qts of oil pulled from the pan - which still keeps the pickup completely immersed. The pickup just needs to be moved down 3/8"

White Zombie

Feb 1, 2007
Hampton , VA
Funny you mention the oil pan mod.:icon_razz I actually put my motor back in the car and took some measurements tonight. to see how much room there was to do the oil pan (kick out). Looks like you could widen the pan to 12" by
9" across the bottom and hit nothing! Only in the sump area. you could lower the pan bottom 1/2" and still not be below the cross member. Also it looks like theres room to lower the engine 1" before there is contact with the xmember. I have solid mounts and am probably gonna go this route.