Doward's 375rwhp Build.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Both lows on relay #1

Both highs on relay #2

I always keep extra headlights, fuses, and relays with me, so I'm not so worried about it :)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
If I'm speeding and it's wet out, I deserve whatever I get for being that stupid, especially if I'm doing it in an area I am not intimately familiar with!

The biggest thing holding me back, though, is I can't seem to locate a dual 87 relay :(

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Ok, wiring 95% complete. Relays are wired up (but not the correct relays in place, not till my Hella relays arrive) except for ground and power. I'm considering pulling power from the fuse block (as you can see how I have this run) but I'm thinking the extra load may be too much.

I may, however, run two extra 10 gauge wires into the fuse block, use two of the empty slots, and go for a completely stock wiring look ;)

Pic!

How do you like the placement of the twin relays? :D

I even color coded the wiring in all of this. Black = ground, red = high beam, green/yellow = low beam.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
My Hella relays arrived Tuesday... finally got to go do some more wiring today.

Running two dual 87 terminal relays now ;)

Hooked up the battery, make a quick ground, and presto - I have interior lights! I turn on the headlights - nothing. :(

My interior dash lights came on (forgot I had redone them all in LEDs, gotta snag a pic of them!)

Outer lights are all on. No response from the headlight retractor motors, either.

*grumbles* I must have forgotten a wire somewhere, so I'm going to sit down with my TSRM and go through the wiring in the car. Even without the headlights in, the retractors should still work, from what I am seeing!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Congratulations, I FRIGGIN' FAIL.

Remember my comment about 'color coded'?

Yeah... dual 87 terminal relays.

I wired it up so that BOTH low beams trigger relay #1. BOTH high beams trigger relay #2.

That was all well and good!

The problem is my wiring from the relay block OUT.

My relay block has a blue 12ga wire (feed line in) a white 14ga wire (trigger +) a black 14ga wire (trigger -) a red 12ga wire (feed line out) and a yellow 12ga wire (feed line out)

I'm running the reds to the highs, and the yellows to the lows. Problem is, a dual 87 terminal relay triggers BOTH together. So yeah. 1 high and 1 low. What joyous failure on my part. :3d_frown:

Tomorrow = re-wiring.

For whatever reason (chalk it up to insufficient planning)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yeah, headlights come on!

High beams work wonderfully.

Low beams work wonderfully.

Headlight retractors and auto-light-off? Fail. Swapped the integration relay with another, no go. Gonna swap out the combo switch, see if that fixes it :)

Still awaiting the goodness of my motor.

In the mean time, snapped a couple pics of the new gauge cluster, that I repainted the needles and swapped LEDs into -

led1.JPG

led2.JPG

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Nice.

So latest progress - removed the rear hatch, and pulled the stock '88 wing off. No wonder the hatch was rusting out - the seals were totally shot :(

Taking off the rear hatch is a BITCH to do by yourself. Oh, and you have to remove like 1/2 the damn interior to do so :3d_frown:

I'm going to start building the integration relay tester tonight (went by RadioShack and picked up leds and such)

*edit*

Forgot to mention - I've got a set of ST Swaybars on the way, and a JZA70 charcoal canister on the way, courtesy of Aaron @ Driftmotion.com

:D

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Got all the trim off the hatch :D Those side pieces are DEFINITELY one time use only! I'll finish cleaning the hatch, remove the one very shallow ding, and consider if I should re-seal the glass or not.

Either way, the hatch will get painted, and then I'll order new trim to put on. The rear trim pieces are one of those things, imho, that really make a difference in how 'clean' your car looks!

Pic:

Also went shopping for more Castrol 0w30 :D I've got 28 qts stashed now!

Pic of my lubricants (Redline for the Supra, German Castrol for everything else I own:

You may also spy my turbo in there ;)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Been meaning to update this with machine work status:

Every rotating part of the bottom end is exactly zero balanced.

.012" came off the block to clean it up.
.007" came off the head to clean it up.

Align hone is done

Had him go ahead and measure the crank for absolute straightness (even though it spun super easy) - Bryan found .002" bend in the crank.

To give you an idea of how much I'm LOVING this guy's machine work, .0024" is the limit in the TSRM. ACCORDING TO TOYOTA MY CRANK IS FINE.

Bryan straightened the crank to .0005" runout. Now, according to Bryan, my crank is fine.

Flywheel pilot hole of my XTD chromoly was .003" too small. He honed it out to a .0005" slip fit.

Cost me $115 extra, and well worth it for the precision I am getting (crank and flywheel work)

Oh, and he went ahead and bottom tapped all the head bolt holes in the block ;)

.019" + .054" = .073" aka 1.85mm Looks like a 2.0mm MHG for me!

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I'm waiting for the first car to be up and running our pistons. I think you are the front runner but I don't watch many build threads.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Bryan sent me another email today. All mains are .0022" clearance, except #1, which is .002"

Once I get everything back (december at the earliest :() I'll be sending the bearings off to get them coated.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yep. Gave him the UPS tracking and all. With all the updates, I'm thinking Bryan was just working through some other motors, and then got to mine.

I'm going to ask him - if that's the case, then I'm sorry, I will recommend that *anyone* in the Southeast doing a build, bring the motor to him. That level of detail astounds me!