Doward's 375rwhp Build.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I know what you are all thinking - Doward! Did you fall of the planet? Were you consumed by Hondas? What's the latest, dear boy?

Well, I'm going to Duluth, GA tomorrow to pick up my motor from Bryan Maloof, that's what! Leaving between 4 and 5am, and planning on being back around sundown. 12 hour road trip, for what I hope is some of the best machine work I've ever seen ;)

Things will start to progress after Wednesday - the college closes, and no more 45-50 hour work weeks for me, until January 3rd!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
So - I'm back.

I am THOROUGHLY impressed with Bryan's work. I found out what took so long, as well - he works on ONE person's engine at a time. They get his full, undivided attention - I was simply at the end of a lengthy little line ;)

Amazing attention to detail. Every bolt hole has been chased with a bottom tap. Complete list of my clearances included (which I will be double checking, just as SOP)

Also, got a few words from him - the XTD flywheel was 10.4 GRAMS out - not 10.4oz, so I need to correct that in the other thread!

My crank is amazing now. Not Ian Amazing, but definitely works for me ;) Oil pump has been blueprinted - he said for an Ebay pump, it was better put together than many stock ones he's rebuilt.

He was impressed with the Eagle Rods, as well - he had to admit, they have really gotten better! Only 6 tenths of a gram difference between any of the rods.

Anyway, on to the pics:
12 hour road trip later -

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Thrust washers will be here on Saturday, so the shortblock goes together this weekend.

Finally tracked down the proper sized freeze plugs, as well.

New oil squirters will be here on Thursday.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dow: The "Secret" with the metric brass plugs is to use a socket 2mm smaller with an extension to drive them in with the Minimum number of hits!

Coat the plug with #4 Permatex tap it lightly in to start it straight/square then hit it HARD, if you use a lot of small taps the plug losses it's crush fit and will pop out eventually :(

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Glad to hear of the progress. Mine's been sitting, almost completely assembled, waiting for me to cough up the dough for a new clutch. My current engine is definately getting tired, though she drove a 600mile round trip yesterday with zero compaints, and the same trip 5 days earlier as well.
Hey- where'd you end up getting the freeze plugs?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
CryoSlash said:
No Doward, no one wondered where you were cause we simply lost interest. This thread is becoming the new BSG thread.

BSG? :confused:

40mm freeze plugs, got them from Napa. They carry them in stock, as well as the 35mm brass ones. They are listing a 24mm (evidently for the one under the timing cover) but they can't get it, so Toyota for that one.

My buddy Austin came over in his $250 5 speed Sport Package '87 N/A. Replaced his leaking clutch line with a full braided SS one from Driftmotion (mucho thanks to Aaron there, for being one kick ass shop!) His BVSV is busted (vacuum leak) so I plugged it temporarily - heading out to the U-pull-it tomorrow to see if maybe the BVSV from the '87 N/A out there is still intact! So yeah, got to work on an N/A for a bit. Might even be rebuilding the spare Cressida block I have, to get him swapped to a turbo ;)

As for my build, not much done today. Ordered my thrust washers from Napa as well, a set of Clevites for $9.98 that will arrive Saturday.

Gonna have a shortblock party this weekend!

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Sweet! You gonna be around tomorrow working on your shortblock? Mind if I stop by to see where I few screws go and I wanted to ask you about the gauge cluster change as well.

Jeff

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
Doward said:
Yeah, just give me a call. I'll be helping my buddy move his Camaro either tomorrow or Sunday, as well.
good luck make sure to check the clearence of the thrust washers so you have a known starting point. Also lube them well and check the end play with the crank pulley installed, this way from time to time you can check how the washers are wearing.

thrust spec is
0.05-0.25mm or
.002-.0098 in
max of .0118 in

i'm assuming you have a mean clutch with that 67mm :icon_bigg

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Mean clutch? Negative. It's just a 6 puck on a stock pressure plate.

Waiting to hear how the Spec twin disc works out for Duane, then either going that way, or T56.

Remember, I have to go through proper break-in, and tune this as I go (Duane's old TEC-2 setup) so I'll most likely put 500-700 miles on the motor at under 10psi with the PTE67, until I'm confident of the tune. :D

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
If any of you have me on Facebook, you've seen all the pics, but if you aren't - here you go.

BTW - Freeze plug sizes - 40mm in the sides, the two small ones (that used to be screw in) are 30mm, the one on the back is 35mm, and the one up front under the timing cover is a SHALLOW 35mm.

Align honed the mains:

Main bearings numbered:

About to clean the block (even though it's been hottanked, you can never have it all TOO clean!):

First coat of block paint:

Second coat of block paint:

Pistons installed on the rods, and the rings all filed/labeled:

This is what happens when you are stuck waiting on parts (new oil squirters in my case) - you polish things:

Shiny:

Me working on the block:

40mm freeze plugs installed:

BlackSS

Nov 19, 2007
FL
Doward said:
hardy har. BlackSS is the guy with the LS1 Camaro I tuned. Don't you have a mullet to go put on? :D

My brother currently has it. BTW, I'm not the one with a broke down thirdgen camaro in his driveway.