Blue CC Temp Display!

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
guys...you are thinking TOO MUCH about this...let me let you in on a secret...

the blue displays posted WILL work fine...you simply have to cut down the blue board that the display sits on with an exacto knife...just shave it down and the leads will reach fine and it looks fine as well....

i do that with my red displays and it looks fine....ill see if i can find a pic...or if someone on the board who i have done a conversion for has any pics off hand maybe they can post them...

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
CRE said:
Personally, I'd rather have the display sitting at it's stock location.... what can I say? I'm anal as hell about some things. :dunno:

Kai - These would work: http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=323-13-132-41-001000virtualkey57510000

well it sits pretty much in the same area...id say a difference of about 3mm... you dont notice it at all once its all put back together....especially with it all lit up....

im VERY interested in what you come up with for the clock though.... good job on the blue display to begin with...ive been looking for one to use for forever and couldnt come up with anything...thanks

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Hmm - i was thinking about the blue board as well, but it should still display fine - might lessen the bright and shiny factor a little but not by much. As for the SIP socket - hmm...i guess it would work, how much is that one?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Kai said:
Hmm - i was thinking about the blue board as well, but it should still display fine - might lessen the bright and shiny factor a little but not by much. As for the SIP socket - hmm...i guess it would work, how much is that one?

it doesnt...at ALL...believe me....ive done it to each of the red displays ive done and its been more then bright.... i PERSONALLY like how it sits in there during the day better as well....

im trying to find pics of some of the CCs ive done...i even PMd someone asking...but icant seem to at the moment lol...

oh and ijust ordered 3 green, 3 blue, 3 red and 3 yellow displays off that site....so ill post pics when i do the CC up in the various colors...

i already have yellow and white and red and blue leds here....the possibilities for this display have pretty much become endless...

just gotta figure out the clock now and a fully changable lighting setup is attainable.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Kai said:
hmm. i wonder if they do different coloured VFD's that are pin compatible. Although, someone would have to remove theirs, take it to bits and post it up for us to look at :D

clocks or SMs? i can open up a clock easy.....i have like 4 extras lying around lol

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Kai said:
Clock first of all - dunno how many people have SM's.

Then again, i just realised its 6:15 in the morning and i have to be up in 4 hours. Crap!

haha...well ill open up a clock tomorrow and post pics.... maybe that will get some stuff started...i just dont have the time right now to look into it too deep...

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
found some pics and got sme pics from a customer(not the best lol)

all red:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

as you can see the display is plenty bright and perfectly viewable by simply cutting away the blue board a bit..... the camera picks it up a little odd but the display and the LEDs are all the same brightness....and look fantastic

blue with red display:

NIGHT:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

DAY:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

like i said i like the way it looks in the daytime better then stock....and at night although that pic is blurry you get the idea.....

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I've already got one opened up and dissected. It's not a straight swap to drop in LEDs you'll need a massive A/D converter and some more room in the housing to fit it. I had been working on the pinout of the VFD. I'm too picky about a clean interior to look for a compatible VFD display, their blues are always cyan as hell. <-- If one more person mentions using a lighting gel I'm gonna scream. :3d_frown:

At any rate, I'm not out to mod the stock clock anymore... I've got something else in mind. :evil2:

The SuperMonitor is VFD matrix, IIRC... I've got two, I'll tear one apart this weekend.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
CRE said:
I've already got one opened up and dissected. It's not a straight swap to drop in LEDs you'll need a massive A/D converter and some more room in the housing to fit it. I had been working on the pinout of the VFD. I'm too picky about a clean interior to look for a compatible VFD display, their blues are always cyan as hell. <-- If one more person mentions using a lighting gel I'm gonna scream. :3d_frown:

At any rate, I'm not out to mod the stock clock anymore... I've got something else in mind. :evil2:

The SuperMonitor is VFD matrix, IIRC... I've got two, I'll tear one apart this weekend.

sweet keep us updated! once again nice job on the blue display!

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Idealsupra said:
sweet keep us updated! once again nice job on the blue display!

Thanks! Thanks also go out to Kai for finding a pin compatible display!

The SuperMonitor is an 8 character VFD matrix.

BRIAN

Supramania Contributor
Jan 7, 2006
socal
hey wouldn't it be cool if you put your temp at 75 and up it turned red and 74 below it turned blue, that would be something realy cool. I'm stupid huh?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
BAD BRIAN said:
hey wouldn't it be cool if you put your temp at 75 and up it turned red and 74 below it turned blue, that would be something realy cool. I'm stupid huh?

I have insuficient information for me to make offer an educated estimate of you SQ. :biglaugh:

Something like this is doable, but it would require a custom dual LED, and a comparator.... OR you could do it with a LCD with a switchable backlight, a display driver and a comparator to drive the red/blue backlight.

For a while I was experimenting with a CC I could adjust the colors on. I was using 6DIP RGB LEDs.... just more work than it was worth it to me.