Blue CC Temp Display!

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
This place isn't too far from me. Not too many in stock though.

Minimum Order Quantity : 1 pcs
Maximum Order Quantity : 25 pcs

Availability : 8 pcs.

Unit Cost : $4.35 USD

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
What do you know, also found it at Mouser.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/627/19.pdf

Product Information
Mouser Part #: 604-DA04-11PBWA/A
Manufacturer Part #: DA04-11PBWA/A
Manufacturer: Kingbright
Description: LED Displays Blue, diffused 2 Digit
Page: 19, Data Sheet
Ordering Information
Stock: 248 Can Ship Immediately
On Order: ---
Factory Lead-Time: 5 Weeks (Estimated)
Pricing:
1: $8.75
100: $7.00

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
:3d_frown:
Kai said:
CRE - buy them ALL!

I'll buy one off you for £10 inc. Postage :D

Hell, cost wise my solution's cheaper (than Mouser)... How long are the leads on those anyway? I presume they'll need to be lengthened...

I'm not sure if they're worth it to me... I'll have to pick one up and see how the color is. I'm sure as hell not buying them in bulk if they don't match everything else I'm using, including the 7 segment displays for the clock.

If the color's good I'm sold, the adapter PCB is a PITA to solder leads onto. Although I think I finally got that sorted out.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Kai said:
The Kingbrights leads are 4mm ± 0.5mm

The EPEI Co ones are...unknown. look like the same dimensions though.

The CC needs about 10mm or 12mm <--guessing from memory.... I'll measure one when I get home.

I suppose one possibility would be soldering in a DIP socket made for wire wrap. Be wicked easy to switch colors in the future as well as long as the units are all pin compatible. You'd have to either fine a VERY thin socket or cut out the center, OR you could cut to the chase and use a wire wrap SIP socket.... duh.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I like the DIP socket idea. They're not too large and would, as you say, make things easier. As for the height of the display, it doesnt *look* like theres a height issue, about another cm or so clearance maybe, unless its an optical illusion.

As for the colour of the display, if its slightly off what you're expecting, can you not use a blue gel filter?

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
Kai, theres a dude on the england forum. by the name of supradupra. he is extremely handy with electrical things. think he is from the surrey area but i could be wrong. but he seems an expert on electrical issues. could be worth giving him a look. just say finnon sent you

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Kai said:
I like the DIP socket idea. They're not too large and would, as you say, make things easier. As for the height of the display, it doesnt *look* like theres a height issue, about another cm or so clearance maybe, unless its an optical illusion.

As for the colour of the display, if its slightly off what you're expecting, can you not use a blue gel filter?

You could use a gel, but as I've said before, there are a number of reasons to avoid them. First, putting a blue filter over a light blue light wouldn't give me the same color as the parts I'm using right now... a rich, deep blue. The gel would have be a shade of purple, finding the right shade is a pain. Also for an effective hue shift the gel would have to be rather deep in tone. There's also the fact that it's going to dim the display. I like my display bright, not too bright, but I definitely don't want filters pulling it down more.

3p141592654 said:
So the CC mounts the display 10mm off of the board? I've never pulled mine apart so please excuse the dumb question.

I'd estimate it at about 5 - 8mm off the PCB.

Last edited:

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
CRE - now i know that i can use that display, i'll get someone in the US to order one and send it to me so i can do some experimenting :)

Finnon - i'll sign up this evening, i have a few more electrical questions to ask him ;)

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I just got home and checked a couple things. The leads for the stock display are 1cm (9.5mm to be precise).

A DIP socket should be possible, as long as it is low profile, there's only a few millimeters between the display and the CC's face. I suspect the reason the reason for the gap is an asthetics issue. The closer the display is to the face the more likely you are to see it when it's off and there's an ambient light source. I like the idea of using an IC socket, but only so long as it doesn't compromise the asthetics of the CC. It would definitely get rid of the issue of the short pin length.

I am going to order one or two of these to see if their color is what I'm looking for.

Kai - Depending on how many I order, I'll send you one.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Oh cool - cheers :)

Also, was looking at the PDF datasheet for it - the leads are 4mm after the plastic overhang, i'd guess that the overhang itself is nothing but plastic, although i could be wrong. if however, it IS just plastic, you could trim it down - if that helps, would make the display sit lower down in a DIP socket.

I know there are some dip sockets in Maplin and from RS that are low profile, as well as 1x8 pin sockets that would also be usable.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I was having a hard time finding SIP x8 sockets. Did you find some? The plastic overhang is typically 1 mm. So the main body of the display is 6mm... that's not bad, but I'd definitely prefer using SIP sockets.

BTW - Kai, I ordered 5 of them along with one red and one yellow. EDIT: Forgot to mention one of the blues is yours.

I HIGHLY doubt the blue will suit me (470nm? ick! too cyan), but it they are sufficiently bright I do have enough lighting gels of the right hue to get them where I want them. In all actuality, it doesn't matter what hue I want... my CC's already done. It'll be up to those who I'm doing this for. If the results aren't satisfying to me though I'll still go the long way about it.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Kai, I was looking at the data for the SIP you found, but I think it's going to be too short. Remember, most of the display's pin sinks into it. If we're going to use SIPs or DIPs we still need something with more length. That's why I suggested a wire wrap socket.