Blue CC Temp Display!

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Yellow13 - nope, the house deal i had in place fell through, the landlord kept the deposit and it all went pete tong. Had to quickly find another place, eat into the 1JZ fundage to put down a deposit and i have to move this thursday :/

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I'll trade you Kai.

3p141592654 said:
Is there an online source for tinted display covers? Also, CRE, did you use an online PCB house to make your circuit board (e.g. pcbexpress.com)?

3p........etc., by "tinted display covers" are you referring to something for changing the display's color a bit more, or just something to replace the green plastic filter which sits against the face of the CC?

I etched the circuits myself. In such a small quantity and given that I'm plenty capable of etching simple circuits at home myself, I saw no need to farm it out. Do keep in mind that the PCB is not needed if you use one of the displays Kai found. They're only necessary if you use a display with a different pinout.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The latter, I'm looking at a tinted cover for displays, rather than changing the color. I think just a piece of grey tinted plastic would do, cut to shape and glued on the back of a cutout.

I'm cooking up a project that will require SMD components, so I am leaning towards a commercial PCB. I think I can do it with protoboards, but things would be simpler with plated vias. PCBexpress will do a two layer board for $60 (qty 2 boards) so that's not too bad.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
3p141592654 said:
The latter, I'm looking at a tinted cover for displays, rather than changing the color. I think just a piece of grey tinted plastic would do, cut to shape and glued on the back of a cutout.

I'm cooking up a project that will require SMD components, so I am leaning towards a commercial PCB. I think I can do it with protoboards, but things would be simpler with plated vias. PCBexpress will do a two layer board for $60 (qty 2 boards) so that's not too bad.

For the display face I'm using some really lite (40%) window tint applied on the back side of the front mask. It looks VERY clean.

I know PCBexpress is pretty inexpensive, for the limited run I needed it wasn't worth it though.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The window tinit is a great idea, but for my app, I have a hole, so will need to use something more rigid than film. Maybe a piece of plexiglass covered with the tint would work.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
3p141592654 said:
The window tinit is a great idea, but for my app, I have a hole, so will need to use something more rigid than film. Maybe a piece of plexiglass covered with the tint would work.

That's how I deal with replacing the green piece used for the turn signal indicators. That or, you could order tinted plexi.

xrated89

Sep 12, 2005
Canada
do you have a pic of the new color on your turn signal indicators? I want mine red and don't know how to do it : )

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
xrated89 said:
do you have a pic of the new color on your turn signal indicators? I want mine red and don't know how to do it : )

I don't have any pics right now. But, they're just white. And not glossy either. And they light up white. I had thought about blue LEDs, but the white looks pretty slick, so I may leave them white.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I put blue LEDs in my turn signals; no chance to the stock plastic color. They shine blue when actuated.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
jdub said:
I put blue LEDs in my turn signals; no change to the stock plastic color. They shine blue when actuated.

Oh, it'll work, I've tried it out too. There's a color shift to it that I didn't like, but yeah, it works. The color they shifted to when I tried it was something of a sea green... did yours turn out more vivid?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
CRE said:
Oh, it'll work, I've tried it out too. There's a color shift to it that I didn't like, but yeah, it works. The color they shifted to when I tried it was something of a sea green... did yours turn out more vivid?

Yep...vivid blue...just like the headlight bright indicator. Looks good ;)

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
jdub said:
Yep...vivid blue...just like the headlight bright indicator. Looks good ;)

Excellent, using the common 4 LED wedge replacement, I presume? This is all academic for me, as I mentiond mine are white.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
CRE said:
Excellent, using the common 4 LED wedge replacement, I presume? This is all academic for me, as I mentiond mine are white.

Actually, it's a single LED 5mm wedge bulb (#74) with a clear cone diffuser encased on top of the LED. It's very bright.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
xrated89 said:
hye cre any news about the clock or whatever you had planned to replace it?

Not yet. I'm waiting on some hardware for the prototyping.

I'm also trying to decide whether I should stick with 7 seg. displays for uniformity, or go with a LCD display with 3mm LEDs for the backlight for better legibility of the more involved displays (text)... matching colors on the LCD shouldn't be an issue, but it will look different.

The biggest issue is simply lack of time on the part of myself and my cousin. I expect things to move faster once we decide on and finalize the hardware requirements and feature set.

tea_mkIII

Aug 3, 2006
Claudville, VA
hey cre not sure if your even wanting to but are you doing custom cc temp displays for a price or no? if you are, i think id want a blue one...jw? if not its no problem thanks man

Tommy

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
tea_mkIII said:
hey cre not sure if your even wanting to but are you doing custom cc temp displays for a price or no? if you are, i think id want a blue one...jw? if not its no problem thanks man

Tommy

I am doing conversions... how much depends on exactly what you want done. PM me with the details: CC button backlights, CC selection LEDs, CC Temp display, Accessory & hazzard switches, window switch.

I'm waiting on the CC for the first unit in which I am going to install one of the KingBright displays... after that I'll post up a comarison of the color difference between the two different displays. As I've said before, most people probably won't mind the color at all, it'd drive me nuts! The KingBright units are a lighter shade of blue and cheaper to install (it's a LOT less work).