Woo! Head Gasket Boom Boom! Yeah!

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
theKnifeArtist said:
now would it be safe to out my spark plugs back in the holes to keep the coke in the combustion chamber while it sits? or do i have to plug it up a different way?

When i've done it in the past, i've just immersed the whole head in coke, and then given it a thorough rinsing with "kerosene", although if you want to just do the combustion chambers, use old spark plugs you dont want to use again.

You'll never manage to unsticky a spark plug :p

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
yeah i read the tsrm torque pattern, i think i get it now. so when i have the cams torqued and i want to move them into the straight up position, wont it be pretty hard to overcome the spring tension by hand? they're not gonna snap back at me with the spring pressure are they?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Of course you can, easy after the cam gears are installed/torqued. And no, they won't snap back on ya.

A little paranoid after the valve spring/retainer problem? ;)

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
thanks,
yeah im paranoid, but its not after that. it just been so long (well not that long compared to some of you here), that i'm afraid somethings gonna go horribly wrong and all this work and money is gonna mean nothing. i just keep goin over my mental checklist every 10 minutes that i've just had enough and wanna finish.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I was. They won't snap back. You should turn the cams a few revs after you torque the caps to be sure everything is OK. Many engines have a spec using a torque wrench but I don't think this one does. They should turn smoothly though. Oil the journals and use assembly lube on the lobes. Left over ARP moly is good. Doesn't hurt to pour a quart of oil over everything just before you put the valve covers on.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
yep, thats what i was gonna do, assembly lube on the journals and lobes and our oil all over. you think i should use moly lube for the journals? i have a nice chunk left over

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
hey, theres no rtv or anything needed between the head and the rear timing cover plate right? seems like a silly question, i just thought i remember reading something about it, thats all.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
i cant find if it says to use rtv with the timing back cover..
and where does the vaccuum line go that comes from the rear of the top manifold right next to the egr? i can't find that either. i got the rest of the vacuum mess figured out.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
for the vacuum hoses, thats what i used to hook everything up, but i dont see any illustration of the nipple in the back of the intake mani like i was talkin about. heres a pic.
i should of specified about that timing backing plate. im talkin about the one that goes over the cam gears, the upper part of the timing set

Attachments

• nipple.jpg
    nipple.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 11

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
All it says in the TSRM is to reinstal NO. 2 timing cover, it makes no mention of needing to use FIPG, so I'd say you are good to go... Don't know on the vacuum line, but on the diagram it looks like it's suppost to go to the EGR.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
starscream5000 said:
All it says in the TSRM is to reinstal NO. 2 timing cover, it makes no mention of needing to use FIPG, so I'd say you are good to go... Don't know on the vacuum line, but on the diagram it looks like it's suppost to go to the EGR.
the EGR one is supposed to come from one back VSV on the bottom of intake manis.. the one that u used to hook everything up to is a Misc vac line.. for cruise control and all that other crap.. can also be used for a boost gauge readout.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
oh yes, i know johnathan , thanks, i'm passed that, almost finished with assembly.
thanks steven, i think you're right, im gonna check it out when i got back outside.
away i go!