Woo! Head Gasket Boom Boom! Yeah!

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
yeah so a little update...the heads on, as well as the lower intake mani, the fuel rail, the egr, some brackets and some other little shit. i kind of screwed myself when i disasembled so i'm kind of guessing how that whole vacuum line mess with that mystery vacuum bracket thing works down on the intake side. then i gotta fix the exhaust stud thread hole in the head so i can put the hot side together..
is there a diagram out there somewhere to help me out with the vacuum lines down there? does that nipple on the bottom of the lower intake manifold go into that vacuum bracker thinger?
also..how come the tsrm tells you to install the cams slant wise? they seem to fall into place like the manual says, but they are supposed to be straight up...

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
yeah so about that cam question. anyone?

also what is this? i got 2 on the fuel rail, 1 on the rear top of the intake manifold, 1 for the cold start injector...what am i missing?

and what does this plug go to, it fell off my harness. where it attached to is the other picture.

by the way as an update..the engine bay is almost assembled is the final pic.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 27
  • teaser.jpg
    teaser.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 34

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
1st pic - Connector for the BVSV on the thermostat housing.
2nd pic - Looks like the bolt for the banjo fitting for the turbo coolant return line on the back of the water pump housing.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
putting the 2 responses together, it looks like the bolt goes to the oil line from the block to the turbo as shown in picture one.
about these cams, why am i mounting them slantwise like picture 2? is it gonna line up when i put the timing belt on?
and what oil should i use? i've been using 10w-40...should i keep using that?

i'll be hooking up my catch can too and i'm lookin for a straight answer and i cant find it. so is this right? valve cover nipples T INto the catch can and then T OUT into the TB port and the accordian pipe?

Attachments

• turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 17
  • cam.jpg
    cam.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The bolt looked kinda big to be the oil line, but what the heck.

What JDub really meant to say was Aux Fan Switch on the bottom of the thermostat housing and not BVSV. Sorry man, had a senior moment here ;)

Take a look at the oil section for my opinions on what to run.

yep, that's the way to install the cams...with the gears on, the gear index on each should be lined up with the index on the back plate. This is with the crank dampner indexed at the "0" mark. Don't forget, the cam journal caps have a torque pattern and spec in the TRSM...it's important.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
okay, right if the gear index should be lined up with the backing plate index as i was gonna do, why does the tsrm tell you to set them up slantwise?

and what about that catch can question.
and also, what should i replace my valve cover bolts with? i remember reading a good suggestion somewhere on here but i cant find it again. oh and i got these grommets for it that i kind of ordered by accident, but it'll probably be helpful.
sorry about all these questions...but i think its better i dont start two hundred threads with my random questions that i can find answers to

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
theKnifeArtist said:
okay, right if the gear index should be lined up with the backing plate index as i was gonna do, why does the tsrm tell you to set them up slantwise?

You're killing me with this cam thing. Think about it. Or lay them in there another way and think about it. Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

The valve cover screws are M6 X 30, hex or socket head. I use hex with internal toothed locks.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
And you line up the index marks after the cams are installed/torqued down.

Think about it...at what position will the cam journals lay flat in the cradles so you can torque the caps down with the least upward pressure from the valve springs?

;)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Bean usage is good ;). There'll always be some springs that need to be compressed but minimizing the number is best. The reason is the camshaft is a long piece so they want to avoid introducing bending loads in it. Look carefully at the torque sequence for installing them and you'll see. There's method to the TSRM's madness.