Woo! Head Gasket Boom Boom! Yeah!

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
yeah i know, but i just didnt have the shims and didnt really wanna mess it up at the time, ill do it when its on the car.
i took another video, in this one you can hear it in the inside at the muffler and by the valvetrain. if this is a valve shim clearance issue, you think it would be safe to drive it for the 500 miles for when i do the whole enchilada?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kqfGeJIogDw
i took it for a slow test drive and you cant hear it..i dunno, maybe its just cus the exhaust is so loud. i still have to adjust the timing(there anyway to do it without the light? i hope my friend pulls through) and do the tps sensor.

i think i have 3 bad tps sensors. none of them make it past the .5mm test. the ohms are supposed to be 2.x and it wont go under 4.x
the way to do it on this thread doesnt work either. i can never get the constant blink. ugh, guess i gotta get a new one? am i doing something wrong? i get the same reading for all 3 i believe. am i using the right stop to put the feeler gauge(bottom one where points hit horizontally).
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16716&highlight=jump+check+codes

Last edited:

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
well i just realized something. this only happens once the car is warm. when its cold, the valve train sound fine. so i guess it needs a valve adjustment..does it do any harm to drive around like this until i get my 500miles in?>

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
If you have or can get the right sized bar stock (O.D.) then you can have your shims cut to whatever thickness you need (others have done it on here). I wouldn't think you'd need more than 2 feet of bar stock... Take a shim with you when you go and look for the right sized stock that way you know what size you will need.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Well over here in the UK, shims from the Zetec engine are actually a 100% perfect match. Now i know the Zetec engine existed over there too, but there were two versions here, hydraulic self adjusting tappets, and solid lifters with shims - and i dunno which one you got. Might be worth asking in a Ford dealers.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
theKnifeArtist said:
yeah but i dont have anything that can cut this bar up ever so perfectly as it needs to be

Any reputable machine shop should have the equipment to do this for you. I thought it was a given that most people don't have the equipment in their garage to actually do this thereselves :dunno:.

I have a vocational tech. school right down the road from me that has the machinery to do this for me ;).

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
now...i wont know what thicknesses i need untill i tear it apart and do the measurements...i really wanna have the shims at hand when i tear it apart so i can put it back together..so is the dealer the only place these?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Man...it's not the springs. The only thing the springs *may* be doing is making the noise a bit more noticeable due to the increased spring pressure. It's the valve clearances causing the problem...whenever you have a valve job done, the clearances have to be adjusted. The valve seats were changed, most of the time that is going to increase the clearance requiring a thicker shim. Again...that's why I told you to do it when the head was out ;)

It's not just the exhaust valves "smacking the seat"...likely it's all of them to one degree or another. Stop analyzing this to death and re-shim your valves.