Woo! Head Gasket Boom Boom! Yeah!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Head was decked...block was not. This is technique...what I would do. If it goes on without the spray, he would be just as correct. ;)
If we were talking about a new MHG, complete different story!

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
jdub said:
Yep...you're gonna hear me say it: I would use copper spray on an OEM HG ;)

It will fill the imperfections on the block/HG itself. But, like JAV said, putting it on dry is just as correct. If you use the spray, wait until it's tacky. You get one chance to lay the HG down correctly on the index pins and one chance to put the head down on top of it.

We just swapped heads on my friends 1g dsm, and we went with a stocker HG, copper spray, and stock head bolts, and so far so good. Thing runs like a dream, and the dumass turned his BC the wrong way and was hitting 20 psi.. did an AWD burnout on accident, and its still looking ok.

Jdub has the best plan for this guy. Stock HG, ARP bolts, copper spray, dont fuck up :)

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
ok, so i should clean the block and head surface with the alcohol like i said before, spray both(?) sides of the head gasket with that copper shit and lay everything down without corrections, correct?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Spray both sides...read the directions, you have to let it hang to get tacky. Make sure the index pins are in place on the block, the head bolt holes are chased, and the RTV is already applied to the top of the front inner timing cover at the TRSM locations. Carefully drop it on lined up with the index pins.

Head goes on next...you will need help on this one ;)
Drop it on the index pins and it will compress the HG from the weight. Place stud washers in the holes, apply moly to both ends of the studs, and thread in finger tight. Stud nuts go on last.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
theKnifeArtist said:
ok, so i should clean the block and head surface with the alcohol like i said before, spray both(?) sides of the head gasket with that copper shit and lay everything down without corrections, correct?

*ON A DSM*
I dont know how correct this is, but my friend and I just sanded off the previous copper spray from his on his block with fine sand paper, sucked it all up with a shop vac, lubed the cylinders with oil a bit, sprayed the oem hg with the copper spray, let it get tacky, the dropped it on, and put the head on w/o moving it. We lubed the cams with some oil, moly'ed the studs, torqued them in order, and to spec, and it runs great? lol

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
theKnifeArtist said:
cool, so what size are the 12 point nuts with arp studs? and also, is that hex on the top of the stud 5mm?does it say it on the package?

ARP nuts are 14mm and you need a deepwell..

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
so one of my exhaust stud thread holes is messed up. i was puttin in the new threads, feelin it out with my fingers and all of them went in except one, when i try to screw it in, its all slanted. seems to be crossthreaded, i might of fucked it up because that all i've been doing lately...well anyway, to fix this..is helicoil the answer?

Last edited:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I would suggest Driftmotions helicoil upgrade, I've got it and so do others. It's a lot easier to do when the head's not on yet. Is it on? If it is, I'd probably just helicoil it, but you shouldn't have to wory about the exhaust studs for a good long time with this kit ;).

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
all the studs went easy except one that i fucked up and crossed. i can get it when its gonna be in the car. i've never used helicoil before, what do i look for. i know the threads a 10 x1.25