Woo! Head Gasket Boom Boom! Yeah!

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
this thread ain't finished just yet!:icon_bigg

so about these shims.
where can i get myself a cylinder bar of metal of the shim's diameter? does anyone know the diameter of these things? would help this process out before i tear it apart.
i'll have the machine shop slice it up for me.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
You're not going to know how many shims, or what thickness you'll need until you've torn it apart anyways! But you don't have to take the cams off until you're ready to swap out the shims (unless you get the tsrm tool, then you still don't have to)

Get a set of feeler gauges, get those valve covers off, get a piece of paper and a pen, and start measuring! Be very organized and you'll probably be able to switch quite a few of the shims you already have to get the clearance you need.

Theres a excel worksheet somewhere on the forums...

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
theKnifeArtist said:
this thread ain't finished just yet!:icon_bigg

so about these shims.
where can i get myself a cylinder bar of metal of the shim's diameter? does anyone know the diameter of these things? would help this process out before i tear it apart.
i'll have the machine shop slice it up for me.

Nowhere, because I will personally send Nashman to your house to sodomize you if you do.

Buy shims for a Honda CBX 1000cc motorcycle, or OEM-yo Toyota ones.

The shims are a billet steel that has been highly polished. And I doubt you want to pay your shop to lap them for you.

My valves got noisy again after 500 kms anyway, so get ready to do it again if you want a nice quiet valve train!

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
the reason i was thinkin of getting a bar and gettin it cut up by a machine shop was because starscream5000 recommended the idea.
so you say the shims are the same as in a honda cbx 1000cc? so that means its the same as the ford zetec engines like mentioned a couple posts before..
my toyota dealership refused to help me out without an outter diameter, but my friend just called me up and told me he could get em at the toyota dealership near him. but man, they want allot for these little fuckin' shims. thats lame. he also works at ford and is gonna check on the ford focus zts zetec motor shims and if they're cheaper plus his discount.
oh and i bought the special toyota shim removal tool, it should be here tommorrow.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Cut shims from round bar stock do have to be smooth as a babies but, they also have to be at least as hard of a material as the stock shim. If you instal cut, round bar stock that is still rough, they will chew up the lobes on your cam. I thought this was obvious info :dunno:

I've heard about people using ZETEC shims, but I've never heard of them using any from a Honda engine... best thing to do is to get a micrometer and measure the OD of one of your shims compared to these others to make sure they are ok.

Just like a previous poster said, be neat and orderly when doing this and you should be able to mix and match a great deal of the shims you already have and not actually have to replace as many as you'd think.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
starscream5000 said:
Cut shims from round bar stock do have to be smooth as a babies but, they also have to be at least as hard of a material as the stock shim. If you instal cut, round bar stock that is still rough, they will chew up the lobes on your cam. I thought this was obvious info :dunno:

I've heard about people using ZETEC shims, but I've never heard of them using any from a Honda engine... best thing to do is to get a micrometer and measure the OD of one of your shims compared to these others to make sure they are ok.

Just like a previous poster said, be neat and orderly when doing this and you should be able to mix and match a great deal of the shims you already have and not actually have to replace as many as you'd think.

The Honda engine ones work perfectly, they actually seemed nicer than the shims we use! If you go into the service department of your local motorcycle shop (that services Hondas, of course) barter with the service guy. On a trade in of my old shims I got the new ones perfectly clean condition for 5$ each Canadian (Also got 2 or 3 for free!).

Those shims get the shit revved out of them so I trust them more than Ford ones.

14901-422-000 is the P/N

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
almost finished..hehe..

the shimming is done, and rechecked and its good. it was easier than i thought. damn shims just cost me allot from toyota.
so i retorqued the head studs, but i didn't crack them loose first..i just torqued them. they were all good except for like 4 of them that i had to give like an eigth of a turn or less.
should i go back and crack them all one by one and retorque them? or will i be okay the way i did it?

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
yes. i retorqued it without cracking it back. i want to know if i should go back and do them over with that method that i learned after i torqued it without cracking it back.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
theKnifeArtist said:
really? i thought people ran a mhg without machining the block.

i have pictures of what a mhg looks like whenyou dont machine the block,

i was using arp studs torqued to 85ftlbs,

car ran great for a month but started to over heat after a few hounded miles.,

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
HKSTechnician said:
sounds like my supra when i had the exaust leak.
you talkin' about the valve tick video?
yeah my car could be mistaken to have an exhaust leak, but its the dump tube on the divorced downpipe that lets some exhaust gasses past.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
hahaha^
well, just as a status report on the vehicle in the spot light of this thread, the car runs great (knocks on wood), the automatic just slips on every downshift and upshift, and everything seems to be honkie dorrie other than that. i make plans for 5speed-age in the next couple weeks to correct this problem.
and it wouldn't be possible with you niggas!:icon_lol: