Why did YOU go 1JZ?

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
lol. nothing, well actually...about the gears i thought that theyd continue talking about it...like i mentioned how there are machines to make the gears...and there are transmission makers, or what ever they are called, why not make a prototype?

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
3p141592654 said:
Honestabe: How did you smog your 1J in Socal?

Smog? Ha! That's a good one. I just renewed my tags (got lucky and didn't have to take it through the testing). But reallity of it is, you can't legally smog a 1J in California. You have to bribe someone. Ask around, people here will be able to tell you who to go to and how much.

Adam

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
OneJoeZee said:
cheap? definately not

I would say it's cheap. Once the swap is done, the replacement cost is dirt cheap if you frag/detonate a motor. I would trust a $800 JDM lomgblock IJ all day but I wouldn't trust a JDM 7M as far as I could throw it even after milling the head and putting a MHG on it. Spend $4000 on a good 7M rebuild, you will spend another 3k if you blow it up to redo it. That is why I went 1J, the long term maint cost is much cheaper. Transfer the cams, single, intake, and start over beating it again for less than a grand.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
You're right about those things. I would still trust a new engine cuz that's what I did! I bought a new complete engine and just swapped over the needed parts since it wasn't a supra motor. I spent a little over 1k all said and done but I also bought a gasket kit for the motor and some other small stuff.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
honestabe said:
can you say 2nd gear fishtailing??? :D:D:D:D:D

Booooo. Not a good enough of an answer. :icon_bigg
I can fishtail in 2nd gear with my A340E/7M.

::w00t::

Just teasin'. :icon_razz

Quick question since we're discussing 1JZ. How's the outcome of a built AT with a 1JZ? Curiousity killed the Cat:eek3:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
2nd gear fishtailing with a stock 1j means you need better tires. My tires are good enough I can still hold 1st gear without unwanted wheelspin.

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
I have 3 mk3's (will have my 3rd in a week or so) so i plan to make a drag car with a 7m, a dd with a modded 1J and my 3rd will either have a built 7m or a built 2jz at first i hated the 1j straight up because i was all 2.5 is gayyy ewww. But then i took a good look into this motor and found out i can make my 87 reliable as all hell and still make 450 Hp with a 1j. One of the deciding factors was what joe said about being able to go tear it up and take it to work the next day in 100 degree heat. now i am not 100% decided on 1j yet but i am giving it a second look thats for sure.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
mustangman05 said:
I have 3 mk3's (will have my 3rd in a week or so) so i plan to make a drag car with a 7m, a dd with a modded 1J and my 3rd will either have a built 7m or a built 2jz at first i hated the 1j straight up because i was all 2.5 is gayyy ewww. But then i took a good look into this motor and found out i can make my 87 reliable as all hell and still make 450 Hp with a 1j. One of the deciding factors was what joe said about being able to go tear it up and take it to work the next day in 100 degree heat. now i am not 100% decided on 1j yet but i am giving it a second look thats for sure.

3 MKIII's is expensive.
3 running MKIII's is more expensive.
3 running MKIII's supporting 7M, 1JZ & 2JZ is like raising a very wealthy family type of expensive.
3 running MKIII's supporting 7M, 1JZ & 2JZ that are all built is just torturing me expensive!

You sir, must be loaded. If that's the case, my respect goes to you. :icon_razz

Jeff

daneyan

Banned
Sep 1, 2005
South Florida
i bought my car with the 1jz swap and single turbo with intercooler and os giken twin plate clutch for $3500. all it needed was struts and tires.