Why did YOU go 1JZ?

92SupraMan

Supra in Debt
Nov 5, 2005
San Diego, Ca
I went 1j for the reliability over the 7m, but not im faced with the problem of reliability of 13+ yr old ECU's...Im down 2 now and working on finding #3. Thats why i just bought a WRX as my DD.

Dispite the supra screwing me on multiple occasions I still love the car and even more so with the 1j in it, but its no longer reliable, just fun...Supra>WRX.
I know its just my luck with the ECU's but that wont stop me from enjoying my Supra to its fullest potential.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
1j is way cheaper than the 2j. A 1j can make stock 2j power for less than half the cost. I think I spent about $2000 total on motor, fmic/piping, intakes, computer, dp, exhaust, pulleys, clutch all brand new stuff except the motor.

I would love a 2j but I'm not rich :( Then again, you can make 1j power with an old beat up 7m. At least for a little while...

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
I bought a 1j longblock first. Then I bought everything else aftermarket.

Alum pulleys off of ebay.
Clutch from xtd
FMIC from megan racing
Flywheel from lexus
I built the ECU
I built the IC piping from new aluminum bends
I built the downpipe and exhaust all from new steel
oh yeh and BOV from Tial

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
you built the ECU? how?

is it a fully functional ECU or just engine managment. Where did you get the chips and logic board? What is the programming language that you used? or did you do some odd thing with a laptop and an I/O interface

ninja edit: Also what about the Hydro Fan? did you find one or do something else? the ingnitor and wiring harness did those come with your Long Block?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
like he said. megasquirt. And I never had a hydro fan. My motor was from a JZZ30 :)

I had a cut harness and no ecu. Hence the standalone. I also had to go buy an igniter for $50

If I couldnt have done it cheap I never would have tried. I'm poor forever.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
aphxero said:
like he said. megasquirt. And I never had a hydro fan. My motor was from a JZZ30 :)

I had a cut harness and no ecu. Hence the standalone. I also had to go buy an igniter for $50

If I couldnt have done it cheap I never would have tried. I'm poor forever.

Dont you need to change the oil pump and pan on the 1JZ for the JZZ30?

Where did you buy the igniter? I want to do mine for cheap instead of blowing a load on a clip.

I hear wiring that engine is harder then one from a JZA70 is that true?

The reason for the hydro fan question is beceause i wanted to put in a Koyo Rad and everyone told me that the only fan that will fit and that is worth while, is the Hydro Fan. :(

Besides the igniter, ECU, wiring harness, IC/Piping, the 2JZ powersteering line. if you just buy a long block what else do you need to get a properly functioning car?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
You'll have to change the sump and engine mounts. The oil pump can stay. You're right in that the wiring is harder because all the colors are mixed up. You can't base your assumptions on normal toyota colors like you can with the supra harness.

I got the igniter from a friend who had an extra. You can get 1j/2j igniters on ebay all day long. Also, it's supposed to be the same as the v6 DIS camrys.

The hydro fan is awesome IMO but an electric will do. I'm using the smaller one built into the fan shroud along with a 12" perma cool.

I guess you got it all. Don't forget you need a downpipe.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
mattjk said:
original.jpg

amen, plus its just a better design... period....

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
for me i can never see my self poping in 1jz cause that will just make me want 2jz there just no inbatweeines for me really

if i going to do motor swap it will be for the best motor i can get 1uz or 2j

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
mattjk said:
ok, so now I have my 1jz in and running, how hard would it be to drop in a 2jz with 1jz electronics?
I heard it is very easy.I was about to do that, but I am going to just stay with a 2jz bottom....Most of the electronics will work for the 2jz...Supranick is also running it like that as a reference.( 2jz with 1jz Electronics.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
NashMan said:
for me i can never see my self poping in 1jz cause that will just make me want 2jz there just no inbatweeines for me really

I actually do agree with you. I wanted a 2jz now in my MKIII lol, but thought I'd stay in between...1.5 JZ lol

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
suprastanger507mgte said:
I heard it is very easy.I was about to do that, but I am going to just stay with a 2jz bottom....Most of the electronics will work for the 2jz...Supranick is also running it like that as a reference.( 2jz with 1jz Electronics.

That's good to know. Instead of spending $2000 for new cams, upgraded twins, blah blah blah, I can put it towards a full 2jz longblock instead :love:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
NashMan said:

1uz? Why don't get a 2UZ or 3UZ. bigger is always better, right? :ugh2: