Why did YOU go 1JZ?

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
As for me:
Auto tranny crapped out. I could swap a 5-speed for about $1000. I bought a 1JZ motorset with a 5-speed for $1600, sold the 7M motor and accessories, and spent less than the 5-speed swap would have cost for the basic parts before you add in any performance stuff. Plus, I get:
More HP stock
FFIM
COP
Single-belt serpentine with auto-tensioner
MHG from the factory
Higher redline
MAP-based fuel system
Less detonation-prone combustion chambers
Bulletproof JZ bottom end
No J-tube
...and blown turbos :nono:
...but they're being replaced with a GT3040R when I'm done with my bike :evil2:

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
i am in that same reliability boat about the 7M's i have had my fair share of problem with the engine. With my most recent problem wrecking the block. Nice hole in the side.

I wanted to find something that can put down decent power easily not be a crazy hard swap to do like the 2J as well as be reliable. The 1J just fit the bill in every department. On top of that it's cheaper then going the 2J route. I am really looking forward to getting a 1J in my car. I have never had the pleasure of being in or driving one. But for how everyone describes it i am sure i can't go wrong.

It might be hard to source parts. But as more and more of the 1J's make there way over here so will the support and aftermarket parts as well. Aftermarket MFR's will realize this very soon. They have already done a ton of development for a ton of parts for the engine. All they need to do is start producing and releasing them here. On the Same note the rest of our car is still the same Chassis and still uses all the same parts it did before.

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
original.jpg

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mattjk said:

OMG, hahaha.

Flaws: The turbos. They blow pretty easily. You can either upgrade them to something bigger, or find a cheap used set as everyone else has already upgraded them :p

Other then that, there's not much in the way of flaws. No major "Watch out for this!" type of flaws.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
MKIII N00b said:
very cool. one more thing, ive heard someone mention about going single turbo set up...now why would they do that? is there a benefit or something that the twin set up cant do? kinda defeats the purpose of having a 1jz.

going single defeats the purpose of the 1jz?

bigger turbo = more horsepower

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Heh, nice signature there Brewster.

The point of the twins was so minimize lag, which it did beautifully. Of course, turbo technology is now 15 years ahead of where it was back in 1990. You can go get a larger single turbo that will get the same response (or a little more laggier), and make tons more power.

If you need to replace the turbos anyways, why not upgrade.

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
i know about the bigger turbo...why cant you do that same thing with the twins just instead of putting a huge turbo put like some pretty big medium sized ones...or hows this, its better to toss the twin setup in favor of a huge single turbo setup. right? so putting one big turbo gives you better numbers overall, and better response or what. tell me tell me, this is interesting. i mean i would get a 1jz for its TT setup, but then going single would be like a 7mgte with out the blown head gaskets and all the other good things that come with that engine. right? i mean thats the whole reason why its not street freindly.

lifesnotfair

Dec 26, 2005
Dominican Republic
Wrong, but I'll let others explain.

And BTW, if you have an 86.5-88 chasis, all you need is one of these two options:
1. 89+ crossmember.
2. BIC Performance motor mounts. I went this route, they cost $175 and the motor was dropped in the car beautifuly.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yeah, BIC's mounts would be a must if I did go 1jz.

MKIII N00b, if you don't mind, make another thread please? I'm not wanting to discuss the benefits of twin vs single turbo in this one ;)

So far, it seems like either the 1jz came in the car already, or the person just fell into a wad of cash and decided to go for it :D Oh yeah, something about reliability, too ;)

Now, does the 1JZ come with a forged bottom end on it? Crank/rods/pistons all forged, or what?

For me, that would play a big factor. I'd rather have a forged 7M than a cast 1JZ, imho. That's why I'm asking :)

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
MKIII N00b said:
i know about the bigger turbo...why cant you do that same thing with the twins just instead of putting a huge turbo put like some pretty big medium sized ones...or hows this, its better to toss the twin setup in favor of a huge single turbo setup. right? so putting one big turbo gives you better numbers overall, and better response or what. tell me tell me, this is interesting. i mean i would get a 1jz for its TT setup, but then going single would be like a 7mgte with out the blown head gaskets and all the other good things that come with that engine. right? i mean thats the whole reason why its not street freindly.

Your logical is majorly flawed

just because there are two turbos does not automatically make it a better setup than a single setup. It's all about sizing of turbo(s) and the application. Upgrading to two larger turbos from the stock twins just isn't in the cards for most people because of price(buying two of everything) and alot more custom work. You can make just as much power on a single as you can with a twin.

I don't understand how you're relating upgrading to a single to a 7M. Just because it came stock single? no. flawed logic again. The stock CT12As on the 1J are good because they are small with ceramic turbine blades that give GREAT throttle response and minimal lag. You would not have the same effect with two larger turbos. even the CT12Bs from a 2J are very laggy in comparison. Most small single turbos upgrades for a 2J will spool FASTER than the stock twins and make considerably MORE power at LESS boost.

single setup simplifies the engine bay a great deal as well. taking off a turbo in like 15 minutes or less is a wonderful think compared to the 4+ hours of work to remove the stock twins.