Why did YOU go 1JZ?

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
original.jpg

ya lol also i went because the 1JZ is only a 2.5ltr and puts 280+ hp out the 7ms dont even come close factory and its a larger displacment ya i could have spend 1-200 $ less and done a 7mgte but why ? i blew #6 on my 7m and a 2jz cost way to much and a 1jz revs higher way more fun.

Flea420

Apr 30, 2006
Grover Beach, CA
I read a bit here and their for about a year.
At one point I tried to get my 2 best friends to throw in some cash and build a project Supra (Which would be owned by the 3 of us), with either the 1J or 2J in mind. They didnt wanna front any money, and didnt think the project would fly (I then spent a couple months, all on my own, swapping it, and now I own it, and not them LOL).

Almost a year or so later, I knew I was recieving a Iheritance check for 4K very soon, and found a great Donor car at a great price. With minimal mechanial experience of my own, and 1 motor swap prior (5SFE to 5SFE in a '90 Celica) which fell apart in 4K miles, I saw the purchase of my Rod Knocking car as the writing in the stone saying "Theirs no turning back now".

Anyway, Cost was a big factor, if I had a lot of money I would have gone 2JZ instead, simply for the extra stock power. So for me, it was the most powerful motor I could afford to drop in the car, plus with no BHG issues like the 7M and all the talk about people saying it was a Indestructable motor, I was sold.

Last edited:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I went 1JZ as a cheaper, interim, step towards a 2J. Never did get around to even getting it emissions/inspected and yanked it out and dropped a 2JZ in.

Way back I saw pics of Urbano's 2J/MKIII and knew I wanted one. Don't care about the power, rev-limit, etc... just a nice engine with bling and reliability, in an MKIII.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
^that's hard to beat... :]

what other car can you buy for under 5k with 280hp and an engine that will take most everything you can throw at it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
MKIII N00b said:
LOL.

what flaws do 1jz have anyways?

Price and availability. There are not any here except ones that have been imported. After a few thousand spent, you will have been up in power on the stock engine.

The stock turbochargers are small and are ceramic to try and promote spool. The stock twins have been reported to fail quickly at elevated boost levels.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Because I blew up 2 7M's, one was completely my fault. I've always wanted a twin turbo. And I like the design of the motor and it's reliability. I also like the fact that it is possible to swap in the 6-speed. I also like the compatibility with a lot of the 2JZ parts, including the heads and MAP sensor. Not to mention the bragging rights that go along with the swap.

And now that I have it in, I can't stop smiling. can you say 2nd gear fishtailing??? :D:D:D:D:D

Last edited: