Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

supraman502

not lazy, just dont care
Apr 8, 2005
louisville, KY
I found out a local junk yard had a is300 in it, so I went down and got the coils, plug wires and wiring, only problem the harness had been cut, can somebody help me out with wiring the coil plugs into the stock 7m coil pack plug?

p611002_1.jpg

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
supraman502 said:
I found out a local junk yard had a is300 in it, so I went down and got the coils, plug wires and wiring, only problem the harness had been cut, can somebody help me out with wiring the coil plugs into the stock 7m coil pack plug?

p611007_1.jpg

use your existing harness on your 7m, just need to exted the wires for the 3/4 and 1/6 coil pack.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
I actually have 2 questions I didn't see posted before. I'm sure I know the answer to the first stupid one, but here it goes anyhow:

1) Will the regular 7M spark plugs work or will I need to get a set with the length used for the new wires?

2) Only Tookwik has mentioned how he fastened the coils (even though he still owes us pics, hehe), but how about everyone else's coils packs? They all just sit there nice and comfortable without falling out of place?

boltz

Jun 17, 2005
Van
i did mine the same was as tookwik... and he provided pics already somewhere in the 19 pages...

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
boltz said:
i did mine the same was as tookwik... and he provided pics already somewhere in the 19 pages...
Not with the coil packs fully bolted in with some brackets he made. I actually read through the whole thread.... though I did it without dinner and was rather dizzy.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
Ok, just had a quick look inside the car to clarify my suspicion. I guess I'm a bit dense for not noticing that the back, huge bolt that holds on the spark plug valley cover had a thread in the middle. That's why I couldn't figure out, cuz I had never noticed it before.

Couldn't I just tap the other one that needs to be threaded?

88tsupra

Mar 21, 2007
long beach
hey i was wondering where did you get your manifold from and does it work nicely cuz im tired of having to remove my IC piping just to remove the covers thanx man

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The back plug has a lot more meat behind it for the threads. The other plugs are very thin. Any attempt to tap them will results in a hole right through the plug with only a thin threaded length. However, given the the fact that the plugs don't really seal anything, and the loads are light, I think you could still tap the other plugs successfully and use some FIPG to seal the threads..

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
No they don't. The oil galley goes up from the front of the head to the two #1 cam bearings. That is it. There is no oil galley down the center of the head.

All they seal is crankcase pressure/vacuum and that can be handled by FIPG on the threads..

Last edited:

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
Or, someone could be nice enough to spare me one of these :)

Just ordered them through ebay for $103 shipped, no cables though.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
Inygknok said:
Ok, just had a quick look inside the car to clarify my suspicion. I guess I'm a bit dense for not noticing that the back, huge bolt that holds on the spark plug valley cover had a thread in the middle. That's why I couldn't figure out, cuz I had never noticed it before.

Couldn't I just tap the other one that needs to be threaded?

Buy another rear one #90341-24007 $6.23. :biglaugh:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
There is a open oil port behind at least the first plug, leave that one out and youll find a nice amount of oil soaking your #1&2 plug wires.

non pressure oil port but still open to return flow, also wouldn't want anything falling down in there. it would be an "oh shit" waiting to happen leaving them off.

88tsupra

Mar 21, 2007
long beach
Hey tookwik i was wondering if you put the ignitoin system out for sale yet i would love to get my hand on some but is it cheap to build your own