Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
turbogate said:
Is anyone who has theirs running already using autolites 3923 sparkplugs? They had always said that these plugs were a tiny bit shorter than the densos. I was test fittings my coils today, with my autolites, and its doesnt feel like it sit right. I dont feel/hear that little click that usually confirms that it made connection to the plug. I havnt started it yet, so I cant say for sure. so Tookwik, Justin, 90t4 could you see that happening with the autolites? (I did remove the plug galley cover)

Thanks
I have NGK coppers... I don't know what number exactly but they're the coppers that cost like 1.90 each.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
my coils arrived today. they look almost new, and they came with wires.... since im getting the ones from 935, if someone wants stock ones, they can have these cheap.

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
Im sorry if someplace in this thread someone asked this question but can this mod be done with stock(or close to stock) intake piping or will I need to go ffim? Also how about the stock throttle linkage that lays across the #5 and #6 cylinders.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
atlpd3147 said:
Im sorry if someplace in this thread someone asked this question but can this mod be done with stock(or close to stock) intake piping or will I need to go ffim? Also how about the stock throttle linkage that lays across the #5 and #6 cylinders.

This mod only saves space, it does not get in the way of anything.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
atlpd3147 said:

Jeff is right, as of right now I have the stock 3000 pipe, as well as stock throttle linkage.

I had to move the coil a little bit in order to get part of the throttle linkage to bolt down right but it was no big deal at all, hardly worth mentioning :)

BillyM

MK2 + 7M = FUN
Mar 3, 2006
Greenville, SC
Let me start by saying I like this design. ALOT! Infact, I would like very much to replace the ugly coilpack on my FFIM'd 7m car with a slick hidden set of coils like this, but I refuse to dive into a swap without reviewing all the variables, and with coils there is one specific one that I am concerned about.

I read the entire thread and did not see a single mention of "DWELL".

Infact, the word isn't mentioned once. ...so does anyone happen to know the dwell timeframe on these coils vs stock? I mean, that's a pretty integral part of coil swapping, and you are likely overcharging/heating the coils or not charging them well enough if you are using a non-stock ignitor.

If anyone wants to get scientific about this, say the word. Lets track down a o-scope and see what how those things stack up. ...anyone wanting to get defensive without any data (or even a basic understanding of coil charge-time), don't waste your breath.

--billyM

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
how would you test them on an oscope? im heading back to school on monday and could probably get into the electronics lab, but i dont know how to test them.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Thought I would add something to this thread, because I thought it was rather interesting. In 1998 the Supra in Japan got this wasted spark setup on the VVT-i version of the 2JZ-GTE. I just had to order the coils/wires for someone who brought in an engine from one.

They would have to be pretty decent coils for Toyota to start using them on the 2JZ-GTE, since they moved the 2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE to the new coils at the same time.

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
This really is fantastic news. Man all the great comments have been already made but I can't help repeating it myself: so innovate, so clean, so simple, so stock!!!!!!!!!!!
So who's making a kit again??? :)

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
you found them on ebay? how much did you get them for? i have been searching all over the place the only thing i can find is for them new and thats 129$ a coil:aigo:

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
www.car-part.com

I found some in a boardering state, payed $115 shipped and had them the next day. I also bought new wires tho. Obviously they work on a 2JZGE.. I used the 7M ignitor/harness + Stinger EMS.

4108018kf6.jpg

boltz

Jun 17, 2005
Van
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/boltzman/89-MX83/coils1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/boltzman/89-MX83/coils2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/boltzman/89-MX83/coils3.jpg

The coils fit with OEM 3000 pipe & throttle bracket. However with that coil on #6 it may need minor adjustment to that long skinny bolt or the coil some how in the center gallery. Still waiting for my new low voltage harness as my old ones all seem to crack the tab off when removing them so after that they dont stay on too well.

What size is that allen hex for the gallery plugs? 17MM?

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
50$ shipped!:aigo: ridiculous..... I have an account on my.is and i even posted a WTB... i just cant seem to find any for less than 55$ a coil

Edit: NVM i found some for 150$ i might try to low ball him a bit :)

Last edited: