Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
I have done this mod. Works fine with Haltech E8.
As for mounting 5-2 and 3-4 coils... I threaded them (coil has stock mounting hole), cut small stripe of alluminium, drilled two holes in it and connected coils together (using screws in threaded holes and piece of Al). So two coils are joined together now. Then another stripe of Al was used to make bracket, that connects my "assembly" with stock coils moutning stud. So everything is secure now =)
Coil 1-6 was mounted like author did.

Here's the picture. It's not very pretty, but works great.

Attachments

• 2JZcoils_bracket.JPG
    2JZcoils_bracket.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

kitt

Feb 14, 2007
surrey
hi, i plan on doing this mod myself, but can someone confirm(not sure if i missed it or not) what cyl the coil packs sit in and what packs the plug wires go from to what cyl?? ijust dont want to mess up my timing and do it right first time. thanks guys.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
man, i cant beleive i never saw this thread. looks like we were BOTH doing the same thing at the Same time in two completely different parts of the country! thats wild to me... idk about you guys. lol

i started shoppin for them almost 2 years ago too... http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375111&highlight=vvti+coil
great minds think alike!

i just happened to have like 4 stock coil packs with harnesses. i scavenged the stock coil pack harness and had to extend only one pig tail to reach the #6 coil pack. but aside from that, its all plug and play just like your set up turned out.

hey, quick question; are your spark plugs so tall or plug wells so shallow, that the silicone boots on the coils and plug wires do NOT fit into the plug wells? my coils sit on top of the plugs and do not seal into the head, same for the plug wire boots. at least the wires snap onto the plugs. btw, im using Denso Iridiums for a JZ. maybe they are taller than 7M plugs? i tried to use the 7M plug wire boots but they werent any closer to sealing against the head than the 2jz units...

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Cool, so have you actually been driving on these for a while???? It has worked out great for me so far. Mine all fit on the plugs perfectly, I am running autolite racing plugs.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
i have maybe 5000 miles on them by now. i drove it around most of last year on that ignition... its the only ignition setup this car has ever had while ive owned it. i never drove it on stock coils ;) but i do need new plugs. i ordered some NGK 2330's from Advance Auto. the redneck girl said they would be here but i havent gotten a call. my iridiums have worn out and im getting blow out or lean misfire or something. i dont know wht the deal with mine are. they are the same as yours, they just dont seal against the head. the bolt holes hit the oil galley plugs before the bottom of the coils/wire boots seal at the bottom. i wonder if its just the fact ive got 2j plugs in a 7m head?

boltz

Jun 17, 2005
Van
gofastgeorge;1031915 said:
Any of the elecronic Gurus have ideas on putting these on a NA ?

Nope not with out extensive circuitry to trigger them from pulses. because the NA ECU only has 1 IG signal and fires 1 coil 6 times.

The turbo has 3 IG pulse wires which fire twice per revolution

Is it doable yes is it worth it no. It would be easier to convert to GTE harness + ECU

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I found a set of 2004 IS300 coils locally, will these work for the setup? I just wanted to make sure before I bought them today.

Thanks

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Whistle's got wooo!
Man thank you so much for this mod. I am completely shocked with the simplicity, and the fact that it completely fixed my miss, and works with the stock intercooler piping...
I want to hug someone right now.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
CryoSlash;1062540 said:
Whistle's got wooo!
Man thank you so much for this mod. I am completely shocked with the simplicity, and the fact that it completely fixed my miss, and works with the stock intercooler piping...
I want to hug someone right now.

Glad you got it worked out man...awesome!

I've been driving mine 2-3 days a week to work (90 miles a day), and it runs like a raped ape...still have some tuning to do, and trying to find the sweet spots with the maft pro boost control again.

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Ok, I cant source a Set of these out anywhere in El Paso, TX or within 500 miles but there is a 99 Lexus GS300 here local. Im wondering if the coils from this Year and Model car will be the correct ones that I could use.