T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
paradox616;1478851 said:
never seen 93 before, we only have 91,95 (lead replacement), 98 and 100 (with ethanol) and there is some E85 sold

i went up to my parents house in the bush through some mountains and windy roads with generous speed limits , at the end of a 5 minute drive up a steep hill on boost i pulled over and the turbo was glowing and i'm not even running high boost. on my car it seems to be pretty useless under 50km/h but goes well in the higher rpm range

Our (Aus) 98 is their (US) 93.

Sounds like a blocked Cat if the car has one.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
IJ.;1479841 said:
Our (Aus) 98 is their (US) 93.

Sounds like a blocked Cat if the car has one.

ahhh i see,

well, from the outside there is a cat, on the inside its kinda just a 3" pipe.
the hills are about a 30-40deg angle for a long distance and the car was being operated for 2 hours previously to that on a 30deg C day.

im going to pick up a set of 550cc injectors and stick my lexus afm on for the moment until i sort out my aftermarket ECU & daily driver situation. from there adjust the waste gate and see if i can get it to run on just the actuator @ 8psi. i need bigger injectors anyway for the power i'm chasing (350-400rwhp)

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
IJ.;1479895 said:
If it was glowing off boost and no Cat what are the AFR's?

it was on boost not off boost. Not sure on AFR's at the time as i dont have a wideband. i need to get a sniffer in the exhaust soon on the dyno to make sure they are within range.

This turbo has a bolt hole for the stock heatshield which i just found! gave it a quick coat of flame proof paint to pretty it up and bolted it up, i needed to modify it for the oil feed but not much, note: im running a heated bosch (screw type) oxy sensor

p1479995_1.jpg

p1479995_2.jpg

p1479995_3.jpg

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
well i adjusted the actuator 1/2 a turn for now. spools picked up a bit, ill adjust
this more in time to come

Here is a crap video i took, its from 3rd gear from round 3000rpm

i had to move the camera to change gear near the end of the video sorry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8GKDlOgYSg

EDIT:

Whilst adjusting the actuator linkage last night i discovered that the wastegate flapper shaft is able to move slide up/down a fair distance. this caused my flapper to get jammed on the exhaust housing and stuck open :p only able to make 1psi,

After much swearing, a few beers i managed to align it and put the car back together. warning for anyone who has one the sirclip should be installed to prevent this from happening. This is by design or lack of design! My ct26's do not have this kind of shaft movement,

i considered putting a dab of weld on the flapper arm shaft to prevent this kind of movement but decided not to. might be something to consider before installation.

I've managed to get the spool to the best i think its capibal of with just the actuator. once it spools it builds boost quickly where are before it did not. i wouldn't say im happy with the responsiveness of the turbo but ill see what my tuner can do to assist with it. It's more 1st and 2nd gear that lack boost.

Last edited:

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
With a turbo that size its probably won't have much time to spool in 1st and 2nd. I know i have difficulty spooling much at all in 1st with even a 57 trim.

On a side note, the turbo sounds very cool :) More vids please

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, no idea why but i have 4.3 diff gears, also a W58 (first and second ratio are longer than the r154 anyway)

you can't hear it spool, at the boost im running i doubt the turbo is even spinning fast in comparison to a ct26 at the same pressure. 5th gear under good load on the freeway spools up nicely now. although im not even operating the turbo anywhere near its efficiency range. I reckon my actuator is 6psi not 8psi, with 1/2 a hole preload (previously had no preload) with no boost controller interaction it hits 6psi

Ill get a few more vid's later on as is. my 57 trim with a 10deg clip on the exhaust wheel saw near full boost in first. i imagine when i'm cramming 15-18 psi through it it might make some more induction noises,

only drove it to work since i fixed the actuator. hopefully picking up a daily very soon so i can rip the car apart and fit my ecu & fuel system and finally piss off the airflow meter & run map.

Last edited:

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
w58 + 4.3 rear end...no wonder you don't see much of anything. I'm using a 3.73 and r154 and don't see too much in first with a 57trim. Keep in mind not only is it a much larger compressor wheel/housing, its also a much (relatively speaking) larger than stock so it will only take longer. This is to our overall benefit though. Also, i know its not really spooling in the vid much I LOVE the initial sound of a turbo right before it hits boost and that's what i'm referring to.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Ill post some more soon before i pull it off the road to put the new ecu in.

I've got it spooling alot quicker to a point im happy with. im only using 60 gain (max 100) on my boost controller, if i run 90+ i get boost spike and cut. im sure there is some more gains to be had once i don't have fuel cut anymore (i can run high gain and let the turbo spike should only be 2-3psi anyway)

i now get 4psi in first (by redline)
and 7psi (full boost) by 3500rpm in 2nd.

im looking for a 3.7 rear end!!

My stock ct26 spun 2nd gear and hit full boost.
id say my 57 trim was faster to 100km/h because it came on boost earlier but once i wind the boost up it should be pretty good :) Only time will tell.. ill keep posting progress.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I might try this out as well. I'm looking for something cheap to run this year until I pull the motor for a rebuild.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
As Requested, Went for a quick drive last night, had to dial the boost down to around 5psi-6psi because it was cold and any more would hit boost cut. Note the gauges on the digital dash, far left is oil pressure and to the right of that is the boost gauge, i think full gauge is round 6psi???

Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4SF3sZRd3o

It's not the quickest but its a hell of alot more drivable now than it was. im sure with about 15psi it will be a rocket :)

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Poodles;1485478 said:
Oh man, sounds like it's just coming alive and wants to do more

:) I HOPE to have it on the dyno in a month or two & tuned @ 15-20psi. still alot of hardware i need to collect before this can happen and id like to put another 1500km on it first (3,500km motor!)

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
That thing sounds really mean. As poodles said, its like its just itching to do MORE MORE MORE boost! thanks for the vids. Hurry with that ECU! :)

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
IwantMKIII;1485657 said:
That thing sounds really mean. As poodles said, its like its just itching to do MORE MORE MORE boost! thanks for the vids. Hurry with that ECU! :)

just ordered a 3 channel ignitor :) (i've already made up the engine loom)

should have it off the road in a week to fit the ecu, im also fitting 700cc~ injectors and a bosch 040 fuel pump.

need to tap the inlet manifold for ecu boost reference and air temp sensor

Its defiantly on progressing :) I'm expecting a few issues as toyota decided to run a fit bit of stuff through the factory loom and im not using that but i have all the schematics and pinouts printed out so i gotta figure out what needs to be rewired and to where, its going to take a while but the end result will be well worth it.

All in all at this point im fairly happy with it, there are a few things that could have been designed better on (for instance the waste gate flapper vertical movement!)

I SWEAR it has a 4-6psi spring in it. its surely not a 8psi spring in the actuator as the website says but with a good electronic controller it shouldn't matter too much

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
I'm not one to poke a finger but that just looked like you did 120kph in a 60kph zone.:eek:, wasn't any back roads with no traffic nearby? I'm not being a bitch just don't want to see this vid you made end up biting you in the ass.
I know speed and rpm help people make a general spool time comparison but you need to be careful, you don't who might be watching.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
wiseco7mgt;1485786 said:
I'm not one to poke a finger but that just looked like you did 120kph in a 60kph zone.:eek:, wasn't any back roads with no traffic nearby? I'm not being a bitch just don't want to see this vid you made end up biting you in the ass.
I know speed and rpm help people make a general spool time comparison but you need to be careful, you don't who might be watching.

not even close to a 60km/h zone and a divided road but in hind sight i agree with you.. *hides video*