T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
carter;1460817 said:
Looks pretty good in there... I see ya had to slightly mod the heat shield lol. I can't wait till income tax time!

Nice sheepdog prof, I got one too, is yours really quiet? sorry little off topic but i guess i'll wait for videos

is that the bov ? it came with my car, yeah its pretty loud and im not using it till it vents back into the intake system need to get a fitting for it and some hose., slows the car down due to venting measured air.

I didn't have to modify the heatshield, previous owner made a mess of it trying to remove it. i simply painted it with hightemp paint after removing all the surface rust for a cleaner look :)

ONLY things that need to be modified are
Oil lines
Coolant lines for CT26 (loop them)
inducer tube wont fit nicely over the T61

you will want a new turbo elbow as well.

Its spooling very slowly, 1st gear only builds 1-2psi and in 2-3rd gear 4psi... the controller has no issues adding boost so i think its a wastegate adjustment issue. ill take some video's once its done. It will be a few weeks to months before i get this going at full steam all thats left is a 3 channel ignitor, fuel pump and injectors

I'm not good at driving a manual and filming btw,

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
paradox616;1460887 said:
is that the bov ? it came with my car, yeah its pretty loud and im not using it till it vents back into the intake system need to get a fitting for it and some hose., slows the car down due to venting measured air.

I didn't have to modify the heatshield, previous owner made a mess of it trying to remove it. i simply painted it with hightemp paint after removing all the surface rust for a cleaner look :)

ONLY things that need to be modified are
Oil lines
Coolant lines for CT26 (loop them)
inducer tube wont fit nicely over the T61

you will want a new turbo elbow as well.

Its spooling very slowly, 1st gear only builds 1-2psi and in 2-3rd gear 4psi... the controller has no issues adding boost so i think its a wastegate adjustment issue. ill take some video's once its done. It will be a few weeks to months before i get this going at full steam all thats left is a 3 channel ignitor, fuel pump and injectors

I'm not good at driving a manual and filming btw,

Gotta love what some prev. owners have done lol but that bov is easy to recirculate and the outlet is the same size as the hoses that goes to the according hose. but I'll be around to check back in and see whats going on.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
like i said yesterday somethings not right with the actuator, i can only build 1-3psi in 1st.

at 8psi i cannot even hear it spool/doubt its working very hard. i've got a few other cars to work on in the next few days so not sure when ill get a chance to fix the actuator issue (plan to remove it and test at what pressure it actually opens)

935motorsports/stay.tuned did you have any issues like this?

one other thing that isn't bolt on, the oil dipstick will not bolt up to the turbo.

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
paradox616, just wondering if the ct26 actuator would fit the new turbo? just wondering to see if that will solve your problem till you find a adjustable, just seeing even tho you guys are busy, just would like to know since this is a very nice mod.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
WhtMa71;1461482 said:
It looks like the actuator linkage is adjustable..Or is it just me?..

you are correct, if i determine that the actuator opens at 8psi using a pump & pressure gauge then ill fiddle with the linkage, when i pulled it apart initially the wastegate was shut, but how tight is the question, perhaps 1 or 2 turns would correct it. it warrants more testing before i go "fiddling" with anything.

I'm sure you could modify the ct26 waste gate to fit but you'd need to weld a new bracket onto it and maybe extend the linkage? not worth it unless there is no other option, the hole that the linkage connects to on the waste gate flapper arm is a different size as well.

id love some feedback from anyone running this turbo, do they see 8psi on the actuator?

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
removed my actuator hose and went for a quick drive, turbo spools a little quicker but not great, maybe its just a big turbo? a tune should help, might try adjusting the linkage anyway to see if it makes any difference.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Could be just that the turbo is larger. It probably would have been good to test the flappers opening with the elbow off to see how it reacts to boost. With a little compressed air of course. Could be that it's adjusted too far out and reacts to full open a little earlier than it needs to.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
WhtMa71;1463624 said:
Could be just that the turbo is larger. It probably would have been good to test the flappers opening with the elbow off to see how it reacts to boost. With a little compressed air of course. Could be that it's adjusted too far out and reacts to full open a little earlier than it needs to.

Good point, not to mention it is an ebay turbo after-all, its not going to be perfect.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
IwantMKIII;1463930 said:
Good point, not to mention it is an ebay turbo after-all, its not going to be perfect.

yeah, i had a fiddle and i get 5psi in first, im thinking my gear ratio has something to do with it ive got a W58 & god knows what gears but they're short! i think with a tune it should spool up a bit better, im going to try and adjust the actuator anyway /test it with boost

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The hole in the actuator rod needs to be adjusted half way before the pin on the flapper arm so you then have to pull the rod against the spring to get it on the rod.

This sets a preload on the spring a bit like shimming a CT26.

If you set it to 0 it will be laggy as the gate will blow open as soon as the turbo goes +

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
makes sense :) Thanks for the clarification, wasn't sure which hole you were referring to,

this actuator/linkage was set to +0 which might explain a little!

ill adjust it shortly.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
IIRC someone sent the turbo in for an inspection a while back? Am i wrong? I really don't feel like reading through 26 pages to find out for sure. I'd like to know the results...