Speed's Completely Unspeedy 1JZ. 56k is so 1990's

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
mobes;925807 said:
Glad to hear you guys got it running. What was the issue with the starter wiring? Is that resolved, or are you still jumping it?

still jumping it, but i've only got half the starter circuit left to test, so hopefully that'll get resolved quickly

Turbo 7M;925933 said:
so where does your swap sit right now?

Once the keyswitch triggers the starter, then i'll be comfortable with the wiring, put the dash back in.. and then the interior. Double check all everything, make sure the engine bay is buttoned down, wires are organized, make sure all vac lines are on (it idles erratically- need to get that solved)... then its off to paint!

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Thanks Pete. Here's another vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k-D6MK3XRM

As the first video states; I have to figure out why the alternator isn't charging... but other than that, a little bit of buttoning up today, and I'll either have it driving around teh block tonight or tomorrow mornin. Woot!

Looking at all my interior peices laying around.. I forgot how much I have left to do.. have to reupholster the doors, finish the center console, and redo the sub box/amp rack. Oh, and I still need to find some replacement doors, get the exhaust hooked up (the DP coming off the y-pipe is 2" too short from meeting up to the testpipe/cat location) then send it all out to paint.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Are we the only two who read this thread Tim? Come on people, this man has been quietly and almost entirely by himself doing a 1J swap. I think he deserves some praise for attempting it and getting it to this point.

Here is my imaginary pat on the back for getting it this far.

:slap:

ok it was more of a slap on the back of the head for freaking out over a layer of tape, but still...its something at least. :D

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Heh I guess so. Its okay, I'm a smartass and can talk to myself and think i'm liked!

Alternator isn't charging the system.. foey. And, I need to bleed the P/S. But I drove the car today. the ACT clutch does NOT like low speeds. parking in tight spots and around town driving is going to be .... difficult. But, i can't wait to get it out onto some open road and go faster than 10mph!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I love how you ran into the...ladder? that was supporting the camera.

brand new clutch is going to need some break in. It should get a little more forgiving. Also sounds like you are getting some compressor surge. Did you ever sort out the BPV? Please do that before you do any boosting at all.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Last week I drove it around a bunch without 1/2 the body panels on.. holy shit this car is going to be a blast to drive!! But.. then a terrible sound from the P/S pump when the rack is under load. I've bled the system 2 times, and after talking about it in some other threads, its probably due to a blown power steering pump.
- When I pulled the original P/S system, the fluid that came out of it was brown. Brown ATF = overheated ATF
- When I got the engine dropped into my chassis and everything hooked up, I cheaped out and put in dex III, not 2 (which i can only find at the dealer).. might have had something to do with it.

Yesterday I found a guy parting out an 89, so i picked up a set of doors with window tracks in awesome shape, no rust, door handles all okay... whoopy!

Also got...
-Targa Seals (his are in better shape than mine, they were free so why not)
-Targa Latches for the trunk
-Targa Top with no cracks
-behind-the-window-black-trim-thing (mine flew off while driving one day)
-Gauge cluster trim

Last week I got a whole bunch of grey interior trunk peices from another member. I'll probably be buying a bar and plate cooler for my P/S Fluid, since I really don't want to go through tearing down my steering system again. Do that the same time as I buy a nice external oil cooler.

The weather is a little poopy, i'll snap pics as soon as it clears up so i can lay out all the stuff.

I was hoping to have the car painted for centralia, but that isn't going to happen, but I should have a running car down there.. it'll just be in 3 colors :X

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Good news and good update. The weather looks to be clearing up for this week so I expect some progress. Dont make me come up there and kick you in the nads.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Okay more good news!

Ran the car for another 30-40min this evening, the battery is now charged and holding a good 12.4v. Car running its around 14.3. Also, the car runs noticeably better at 14v than at 12.

I had the alt checked at two different shops to double check that it was working- and yes, it was... so i knew there was a problem with my wiring. however, wiring the 1j alt into the 7m body harness isn't difficult, the wires are exactly the same color. Well, my problem was that one of the extension wires had come undone. the ONLY place in the whole harness extension where i used butt-connectors, one popped out. So, i redid them, soldering the wires in place, and voila! Alternator is outputting voltage. I decided it would be wise to doublecheck ALL the fuses anyways.. so I went through the fusebox under the dash first.. did a visual and continuity test on ALL of them.. all were fine. Then went to the engine fuse box, and AM1 was visually fine, but when i tried a continuity test.. nada. Replaced that, which turned out to be the only bad fuse in the car.

Up until now, I've been starting the car with with a momentary switch hooked between the battery, and the starter directly. when the key was turned to 'start' everything went except for the starter. I had spent a good amouint of time under the dash testing the harness to try and find fault, but with no luck. Today, I went to the engine harness side of it. Low and behold, there wasn't continuity between the starter wire and the B1 body plug! Turns out I had the A/T NSW wired where the Starter should go. (The 1jz came with an auto) Switched out plugs on the connector so the starter was now going to the starter relay, and voila! The starter triggers with the key! Whoopy!! :)

Coming Soon Items:
- I'm driving up to Tukwila tomorrow to pick up a lot of vinyl to reupholster my doors. I found a place that has lots of Toyota OEM colors, so hopefully they will have shadow grey or one close! Also going to pick up some special vinyl that you'll have to wait to see ;)

- AEM Dryflow airfilter

- 12" of silicone hose ( the welder messed up on one of the IC pipes and its now too short for a 3" coupler. I'll cut the 12" peice down to 4-5" to make it fit, and then just have left overs.)

- Even though I fixed the starter with key issue... I'm a huge button dork. I love buttons. I love pushing buttons. I really love buttons. So, I'm going to do the only "ricey" mod I can bear, and have a push button starter. But not something lame.. its going to be like starting up the Starship Enterprise.

To start off, you'll still have to use the key to turn the ignition to the "on" position. the "start" circuit is what I'm going to modify.
First, there will be a lighted toggle switch that will need to be flipped on. This will make the start circuit "hot".
ele-258.jpg

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5825/ele-258/Military_Style_Switch_-_Red_LED.html?tl=g4c153s318

Then to activate the circuit/close the loop, there is a momentary switch:
ele-273.jpg

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6...ousing_-_Ring_Illumination.html?tl=g4c153s316

So: You'll get in, turn the key to 'on', flip up the toggle's cover, flip the toggle which will then glow red... and then the momentary switch next to it will also be glowing red, which you'll push and hold until the motor starts, then let go, and close the toggle switch's cover. I'm also going to add a bypass circuit with a hidden switch so I can turn off all that jazz and use the ign cylinder as normal.

Dorky I know, but I really love switches.

And a pic of the car as she sits now:
DSC_0171.jpg

As soon as I bleed the P/S system (tomorrow or wednesday), she'll get off jacks and I'll get the doors replaced, and hopefully take her for a longer spin than just around the block.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Here's a pic of the misc body parts I picked up:

DSC_0193.jpg

The doors need paint, but thats okay since the whole car is getting painted. Whats important is that they're rust free, the windows are in good shape and the window tracks are straight. My driver's side door has rust around the broken door handle, and the pass side door's window is all fucked up. I also picked up a 2nd targa top, since mine has a few cracks in it.. figured why not. I might chop up the worst out of the two and make a sunroof targa, since there is no structural bracing that runs through the center of it.

Vinyl:
Yesterday I went up to Tukwila to an upholstery wholesaler to find some vinyl to closest match my 'shadow gray' interior. The place i went to carried all the OEM fabrics for Ford, GM, Nissan, Toyota, VW, and a few others.. but being as Toyota hasn't had a car with Shadow Gray in some time, I found two close matches: Toyota Charcoal, and Toyota Dark Charcoal. Both were close and passable, but I think the dark charcoal was a tad closer, and I liked the darker version a bit better
DSC_0186.jpg

I also got a few yards of some Carbon Fiber textured vinyl. Its soft, pliable, stretches a little, and reflects light in a neat manner. AND, its a fuckload cheaper than real CF. Upclose it doesn't look the same, but I'm not trying to pretend its real. Its just another accenting fabric that has a neat texture. It will be used for accent pieces.
DSC_0183.jpg

So, with lots of yards of gray, and several of CF, I came back home.
DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

Stereo: Last night I redid the wiring harness running from the receiver back to the amps. Its nearly 3/4" thick! In it are:
4x 14ga mid power wires
4x 18ga tweeter power wires
Tsunami 6ch shielded RCAs
RJ45 Gain control
14ga amp remote on

DSC_0207.jpg

Previously, I had the component speaker crossovers mounted in the doors.. but they were never secured with anything. And, theres not a whole lot of room under the dash, so I decided to relocate them to the trunk with the rest of the audio equipment. This is also futureproofing the system, so when I change out the components, i won't have to take off the doors.

Then I got to work on the center console/bezel thing. Previously, I had planned to mount a 7" touchscreen there and run a carputer, but the screen was pointless in daylight, it needed a fair amount of shade. And, it was just a bit clumsy. so, I ditched that idea (now using the touchscreen as a 2nd monitor on my pc dedicated to controlling media :) ) and went for a simpler single DIN cd reciever. This required a new frame for the big chunk i had cut out of the bezel to be securely fiberglassed into the console. The stuff I used is called Kitty Hair. Its "long strand fiberglass body filler" - fantastic for doing this sort of stuff.
DSC_0208.jpg

Behind this wood frame is another piece of MDF that'll actually be the mounting point for the Receiver. I could have made it flush, but then the deck would have stuck out like a sore thumb, so this way, its recessed a bit and sits almost flush with the rest of the piece:
DSC_0222.jpg

Once everything was trimmed, and sanded smooth, I went to go paint the recessed piece black, but then when I put it next to the CF vinyl, which I'll be covering the rest of the bezel with, It didn't look quite right (and I didn't feel like doing MORE sanding to getting it to a smoothness I could lay down some proper paint on). So, I wrapped it in the CF vinyl. The edges are gross, and thats okay since you won't see anything but the center area of this peice.
DSC_0236.jpg

DSC_0234.jpg

As you can see, the main bezel still has some more sanding to get straight, a little bit of body filler to ease the gaps, and then i'll get covered in CF too. In the extra space below the receiver will be switches. I have to wait for the rest of them to come in before I can drill holes and get them mounted to their plate.

Trunk: The trunk carpet in my car is appalling. Its horrifically disgusting. Falling part, stinky. just gross. Well, Its going to get wrapped in vinyl as well (once the sub box and amp racks get made), and thus, new floor vinyl in place of that old worn out carpet. One thing thats always annoyed me though is theres that extra little empty space at the very corners of the trunk, that because the false floor has to open, it can't fully fill those spots. i'm not sure if the cars originally came with a piece there or not, mine certainly didn't, so I made some.

I don't want to see this:
DSC_0230.jpg

Thats more like it!
DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

I still have to make the bracket/stand things that'll keep them in place, but at least the whole trunk will be even now. And no, I'm not getting rid of the false floor (though it will be modified a little bit) - I'm keeping the spare!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Those little corners where it seems to be missing something is because you are missing something. Factory there are plastic bins screwed to the floor that have masonite covers on them that lift out. They provide a base for your carpeting to sit on. Basically what you made is the same minus the plastic bins under them.

Its good to see you make some other progress on areas of Becky that needed it.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Congrats on the swap. Lookin' and soundin' good. Can't wait to see the finished product. Also, like your push button start idea. I've always liked this and think I might do something like it in the future. Keep 'em pics coming!

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Got the new power steering pump installed today, bled the system, and took her for a drive.. no more awful noise! YAY!

... Then... I got ballsy.

I BUILT BOOST! WHISHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PPSSST WHIIIISSSHHHHHH!!!

Man I've missed that sound. Car is still a ways off from being out on the public roads. Needs the hood and bumper put on, doors, bla bla bla bla bla. But at least its mechanically sound.

"Mechanically Sound" - the best fucking words to hear after working on a car for the better part of a year.