Speed's Completely Unspeedy 1JZ. 56k is so 1990's

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
SupraMaster;980465 said:
Subscribed.

Forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question. Have you fixed the previous problems that were nagging you? If not, lemme know. I may be able to help.

Mike

Mike,
Yes, I have every mechanical gremlin under control. Only "issues" left are getting the tach more accurate, bodywork, exhaust and interior/electronics. Oh, and getting the camber adjusted. In the near future I'll type up a post over viewing everything thats gone on thus far, so its in an organized format. Thanks for the offer though!

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Yay Wiring :aigo:

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

The left harness is for the alarm, the center is for the stereo, the right is for some relays.

Ran the alarm harness up along the driver's side door sill. If you take it apart, theres a nice little cubby for wires to run up and down the car, just slid the wires in under there, and snapped it back together.
DSC_0240.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

With the new door sill installed:
DSC_0245.jpg

my old sill was cracked, and overall just a peice of crap. You can see the wires popping out of the back, that was before I removed the rear seat and finished running them to the trunk.....

DSC_0251.jpg

Alarm harness on the right, stereo kinda S'ing around, 4ga power to the distribution block in the center, and again, relay power on the left. A surprising bit of oxidized bit under the rear seats. This summer i'll seal that up.

Note!!- When wiring up stereos, it is very important to keep amplifier power cables as far away from the RCA's as possible. I'm even a little nervous with mine being 5" away from eachother, might swap sides!

DSC_0252.jpg

Everything installed and put back together! Gotta figure out something to make the stereo harness a little less obtrusive. But you get the idea.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Tim why not run thos hump wires under the carpet. Its not hard to gey under the carpet there under the console, and then straight back and out under the rear seat. When I did my stereo wiring I ran power down the drivers side, signal down the middle and speakers down the passenger side. Also you can buy rubber wire channel thats is something like a door jam plate only made outta rubber. I used it as a DJ whenever I needed to run speaker cables past a doorway. If you use a small piece of it to put your tunnel wires in they wont bulge up under the carpet. Just a thought.

Also, thos carpets are nasty. The carpets in both my XJ's were bad as well and while its a ton of work, taking them out, scrubbing them with soap and water then letting them dry before putting them back in made a world of difference. I know its probably easier to just try to find a replacemtn set, but for pure cheapness factor a little elbow grease and some time goes a long way.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Okay, update time.

Audio
The Alpine 9825 has a history of being a fantastic headunit. Mine however, has crapped out in the time its been in storage. My comps sounded weak, sub was distorted... it was just shitty. Swapped in my trusty Pioneer, and MUCH better. Whew. Eventually down the road I'll get a proper unit.. but thats going to be around winter time. I'm also beginning the third sub box, this one i think i'm going to stick with. Downside is I won't be able to use the targa latches, but I don't have them anyway so no big loss.
box+crossection.jpg

I've made a few revisions since this, included are a solid front plate for the mounting ring so it seals without having to glass it seperate from the main face. Second, I've added platforms on the backside of the side braces, one side for the component amp, the other for the crossovers.

Interior/exterior
Haven't been able to spend any time on this area cause of the FRIGGIN RIDICULOUS WEATHER. June and sub 50*?? What the hell.

Drivetrain
Pretty much done. The filter pipe needs finishing and then wrapping... Oh, and I got a set of Marlin Crawler bushings for the R154. Good stuff, it was a little tight to get in, but with some oil and blunt force got the sucker in. Shifter is MUCH tighter, but the plate that holds it to the transmission is worn and the dome cap on the stick is very close to popping out. I need to replace it.

Suspension
Ugh. I was putting some miles on the car... and then some serious brake squeakage started. Sounded just like extremely worn pads. Except it only made the sound when I was OFF the brakes. Checked my pads just to be sure, and they were fine... Then I found out it was my wheelbearing. Driver's side was shot, gone, kaput. Likely causes were 1) the car's old 2) the H&R springs create some NASTY camber.

When I bought the car, the passenger side hub had 4/5 of the studs... which isn't any huge issue.. 4 is fine to drive on as long as you're not doing stupid shit, so I planned on redoing those studs as well. Then I noticed that my ebaytastic Slotted and Drilled rotors (again, previous owner) were scored to hell and back. So, I decided it would be prudent to replace both wheelbearings, seals, rotors, pads, steering rack boots, lower ball joints, tie rods, and rebuild the calipers while they were off (driver's side was sticky, and after the wheel bearing issue, it would have needed rebuilding soon enough).

I'm a bit paranoid about wheel bearings. When I worked with the 360 Challenge cars, one of our cars had a wheel bearing go out around Road America....
IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

So yea. Immediately put the car in the garage and started tearing it down.

Ordered bearings, seals, caliper rebuild kit, and boots from rockautoparts.com. Fantastic place, shipping was insanely fast. I bought my stuff at 10am, and by 7pm i had shipping notices for everything, coming from 3 different warehouses. Everything fit like a charm.... except the piston seal on the caliper kit. UGH. So, I had to go to the dealership to get one that would fit.... which of course meant they'd have to special order it.. and it ONLY CAME IN A FULL KIT. Ughh. So, I have enough parts to rebuild a few cars worth of front calipers.

First batch of goodies:
DSC_0138.jpg

While I was waiting for the rest of the brake parts to come in, the calipers needed some fresh paint anyway, I decided to clean em up a bit and smooth them o ut by grinding off some of the casting marks. A few minutes with the grinder and a smooth caliper was born.
DSC_0153.jpg

(They're both painted black now, I just haven't taken pics yet)

Today I got Powerslot rotors and PBR pads from Driftmotion. As always, great communication with my questions and fast shipping. AND as I found out... Axxis pads == PBR Pads. (If I sounded like an ass, sorry Aaron!)
One of the rotor's bag wasn't sealed, and it had some rust/pitting/something on it.
DSC_0163.jpg

Talked with Aaron to see if this was anything he had run into with Powerslot before, to which he said it wasn't. I hit it with a scotch pad and some scrubbing later, it came off. The rotor surface is in good shape, no actual pitting (whew!)

Tomorrow I get balljoints, tie rods, the caliper piston seal, and axle nuts. Should be back on the road ready for alignment thursday or friday! YAY!

Deal of the week
I was at Home Depot picking up some MDF, and as I was checking out, I glanced over to the clearance rack to see if there was anything useless they could sell me. Well, on the ground below the table were a few boxes with anodized red aluminum floor jacks. I thought "hey, that sure would be nice", and looked at the price. Normal price: $129.00 - About what I was expecting.

Now before I get to the sale price, let me say why this is so nice for me to have. Again, the H&R springs make my car sit LOW. The floor jack I currently have is meant for lifted trucks, so to get it under the car, I have to drive up onto 2x4's, then slide the jack in. Low profile aluminum jack = no more driving onto blocks! YAY!

DSC_0169.jpg

Its upside down..but yes. The price really was $25.00 $104 off!! Woot!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
dude if they have another one of those jack sets grab one for me will ya and I'll paypal you the money. I can just get it from you later, lol.

Nice update. lots of new parts = good. lots of new safety item parts = GREAT!

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Ok, Update

Version 3 of my subwoofer setup is nearly finished.
v1 was halfassed
v2 was flawed
v3 is nice me thinks :)

It includes:
- Full false floor with 3 seperate panels
- 1.01 ft^3 sealed box
- Amprack with window behind rear seats
- a bunch of other details i'm forgetting about. Well, a lot of them are hard to explain until everything is fiberglassed and purdy.

Woodshop
DSC_0331.jpg

the best tool ever
DSC_0339.jpg

the car
DSC_0334.jpg

the box (sorry...forgot to get build pictures.)
DSC_0326.jpg

side caps
DSC_0354.jpg

fit together
DSC_0363.jpg

the amprack side
DSC_0367.jpg

in the car..
DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

I still have a few ribs to make, the speaker ring, some other goodies, and fiberglassing that you'll have to wait to see until they're made.

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
Nice. You car is coming long very nicely and I like the subwoofer in the back setup. I have been thinking of doing something similar to mine. Thanks for some motivation!

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
cruisnhard;1067965 said:
Nice. You car is coming long very nicely and I like the subwoofer in the back setup. I have been thinking of doing something similar to mine. Thanks for some motivation!

NP ;)

Car just got back from the alignment shop. Got toe fixed, but my camber bolts are FROZZZZZZZZZZZEN. ARg. Looks like I get to enjoy the same fate as Shaeff and others....
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19265

Sigh. -2deg front, -.9 rear. Fucking H&Rs. I'll probably wait until winter before I do that job.

arg.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
subscribed:p sweet thread
what're ya gonna do about not being able to fit the targa in the rear anymore?
i remember when i put a sub in the rear and knew the targa wasnt gonna fit, i was like ahh fuck it. but now i'm kickin myself in the ass everytime i gotta throw the thing in the back seat.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
theKnifeArtist;1068821 said:
subscribed:p sweet thread
what're ya gonna do about not being able to fit the targa in the rear anymore?
i remember when i put a sub in the rear and knew the targa wasnt gonna fit, i was like ahh fuck it. but now i'm kickin myself in the ass everytime i gotta throw the thing in the back seat.

Yea backseat. I've been doing it ever since I got the car- it didn't have the targa latches when I bought it, so I'm kinda used to it. the only real bitch is that I also have a targa brace... swapping those out is going to be the PITA. Though, there's still enough room to lay the targa and/or brace over the top of the subwoofer unit, it'll just slide around and rattle. but if push comes to shove, there's always that option. But for the time being, I'll just throw it in the back seat.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Well, body work has begun. Found a parts car in Tacoma that I'm grabbing as much from as I can. Its fucking amazing how many fasteners my car is missing. Ugh, i hate previous owners. Anywho.....

New straight front fender:
DSC_0411.jpg

tail lights out, and wing off:
DSC_0410.jpg

Borrowing my RX7 friend's Wheels while for when mine are out getting powdercoated, and my parts runner, the trusty exploder:
DSC_0409.jpg

side profile shot. The other front fender had a little break in the metal that I welded up and cleaned up, its still out back getting sanded and smoothed out...but I'm definitely keeping the wingless look.
DSC_0420.jpg

Still left to do is remove window trim and molding, sand the back half of the car, repair the couple small dents, and fill the rear wing holes and wiper motor hole.

Upholstery is taking forever though... grrr.

SpeedNinja

nunchaku equipped
Jun 29, 2008
South Florida
www.myspace.com
Hey, it's the thread I pretty much signed up here for... subscribed.

You need to make all the panels different colors before you paint it... oh wait, you don't have Haitians to blend in with up there do you?