Speed's Completely Unspeedy 1JZ. 56k is so 1990's

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Hey, no problem.

I've been using a Miller Synchrowave 250DX that a buddy has, and I really want one now. I'm in the same boat as far as affording it though. I'd be interested in hearing how your arc conversion goes.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
Ok quick update.. think I might have found another arc stabilizer.. so the tig project might be back on! Woot!!

But here's pics of the filter intake pipe laid out. Yes I know its way more than whats needed, but I had the leftover peices and hell whats the point of doing the same thing everyone else does?

filterpipe+_12_.JPG

filterpipe+_15_.JPG

filterpipe+_10_.JPG

Can't wait to get all the pipes welded up so no more tape and sit back and appriciate how purdy they are.

Oh, and my dog likes to help by getting in my way:
filterpipe+_9_.JPG

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
UPDATES NEEDED!

And I have set a few bucks aside so I can come up and help you start this bitch when you are ready. Just let me know.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Sorry for the lack of updates, I'll try and post some new pics tonight. Basically, life's been super busy, welder took a longass time, etc etc etc. That usual BS.

Anywho, I've got a major wiring boo boo somewhere, as soon as i connected the battery to start priming the fuel system my alt fuse and main efi relay blew. Annnndddd I'll be gone for a few more days, so won't have another chance to work on it until early next week. ARggggg.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
okay, in this first pic, forgive the mess of the engine bay....
DSC_0001.JPG
Battery is turned around so its now facing the right direction, the coil cover is back on, and the intake pipe is now finished. I should have snapped pics today, but i spent most of my time working on a new bracket for the bottom of the IC to keep it more stable.

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

the welds aren't the nicest i've seen, but theres full penetration, and for the most part they came out very well. As soon as the mechanical kinks are worked out,and the car is drivable again.... the pipes are all coming off to get painted or powdercoated (well, it'll be snowy, can't drive the car then)

DSC_0013.JPG

So, for the life of me, the tranny crossmember wouldn't line up with the body holes. I had to use a come-along wrapped around a tree and the tailshaft and rachet it in like 4 clicks... but its securely in now!

Umm.... So yea, basically have to figure out whats up with the electrical, prime oil and fuel... and then reassemble. And oh yea, my front tires have some NASTY camber. Fucking H&Rs. So, I need to see if the alignment shop can fix the camber or else its time for new springs. Bleh.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
How are your subframe bushings? I just had the front done with poly to finally get my H&R's back into spec. If nothing is seized there should be enough adjustment to get it all back into spec. Good luck.:)

1jzMoe

Supramania Contributor
Apr 2, 2005
Vilseck, Germany, Germany
you know that you can move the bushing that mount bolts to back or foward. If you take that bracket off there should be 4 molts that bolt the mount to the tranny and there are 6 holes, just move it over to the other two and you wont need to ratchet it to get it bolted, i had to do that with my 2jz swap.

1jzMoe

Supramania Contributor
Apr 2, 2005
Vilseck, Germany, Germany
are you having problems with your headlight hitting your intercooler piping, if you haven't checked that i would check it before you get that welded, that was another issue i ran into. I was using the silicone couplers so you might not have tha problem.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Sawbladz said:
How are your subframe bushings? I just had the front done with poly to finally get my H&R's back into spec. If nothing is seized there should be enough adjustment to get it all back into spec. Good luck.:)

I have no idea, I'll see when it goes to the alignment shop. Hopefully they're okay, as I really really don't like installing bushings.

Turbo 7M said:
you know that you can move the bushing that mount bolts to back or foward. If you take that bracket off there should be 4 molts that bolt the mount to the tranny and there are 6 holes, just move it over to the other two and you wont need to ratchet it to get it bolted, i had to do that with my 2jz swap.

Yup, they were loose and all the way over, still no go. the tree-come-along worked well though.

Turbo 7M said:
are you having problems with your headlight hitting your intercooler piping, if you haven't checked that i would check it before you get that welded, that was another issue i ran into. I was using the silicone couplers so you might not have tha problem.

Headlights close just fine ;)

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Okay, had some problems recently...car is ready to start...but i've got some fun electrical gremlins:

1) The B+ Circuit with key to "On" gets ~1.25-1.5v. If I remove the EFI main relay and jump it, i get 12v at all key positions (obviously). What would cause the ignition circuit to trip the EFI relay, but only put out 1.25v? Is the relay even being activated? (Tried this with two brand new relays, so unless my luck is that bad its not the relay)

2) Starter doesn't click. The starter relay clicks away, but nothing gets sent to the starter upon key turn. This is happens in both cases with the EFI relay in place, and hotwired.

--

Its pretty obvious there's a problem with my ignition circuit somewhere. Would a faulty ECU cause this? Any suggestions on where to start to trace down what the problem is? I'm a little perplexed as where to begin. The CEL at no point lights up. Next to testing every damn wire in the ignition circuit, is there anything else I can do?

Ds650rida

Mar 19, 2007
Jersey
www.myspace.com
i have the same starter problem and i will be checking it out tomorrow, my theory is that the starter wire from the 1jz has a male spade connector and the starter has a male as well, i dont have much light under the car so i couldnt tell for sure but i will be connecting the 2 with other means and see if it starts. But my car runs and moves and for right now i have the starter jumped., i also had the same problem with my transmission mount too and now i only have 2 bolts in it now.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Yea, i was going to yank the starter today and look at it, but i got busy with other stuff. Hopefully I'll get that done tomorrow.

I fixed the issue with B+ and the main relay - the friggin IGSW lead came out of the B1 plug.

Stupid cold ass winters make work slow :(

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Welll, progress has been slow because it was cold as fuck outside and i was out of town for a while. Finally got the car moved into the garage, yay for dry ground to work on!

Anywho, still having a problem with the key not turning the starter, but the starter works when jumped. However, there was a nasty leaky air sound coming from the back of the motor. Working by myself, it was pretty hard to diagnose.

Well, TheWeezl came up this weekend to deliver the computer he built for me, and to give me a hand. I showed him the noise it was making.. he checked some things... then crawled under the car and started laughing.

I had forgotten to take the tape off the end of the Y-pipe. So as the engine was turning, it was building up pressure in the exhaust then it would leak out. took the tape off, and no more weirdass noises. I can't believe it was some tape.... Ugh. Well, hopefully we'll get the starter issue solved this weekend and the car will breath to life.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Note to self...dont go on a drinking binge when trying to get work done on Supras. I wasnt really much use on Sunday as I spent part of the morning wishing my head wasnt attached and regretting the jack-in-the-box tacos from the night before while I was "barking at the carpet". The only positive for me was it was a beautiful drive back to Corvallis for me. Jody slept and I didnt so thats a good thing.

The fact that Tims motor actually breathed life was fantastic and a real positive step forward. Im guessing massive vacuum leak somewhere and it will be idling smooth.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Glad to hear you guys got it running. What was the issue with the starter wiring? Is that resolved, or are you still jumping it?