Speed's Completely Unspeedy 1JZ. 56k is so 1990's

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
HEY
Tim
I'm going to go down to Portland to pick up my 5-spokes from onedime this Sunday/Monday, and I think I'm going to stop in and visit, we should get pete up there too when I stop in.
It better be done when I get there too
or else.
;)

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
ROFLMMFAO!

for the record, no cocaine was purchased or consumed, just stories of a time long past...that Im not so ashamed to admit. Hell I think it adds to my mystique, lol.

WE made some progress and while I would have liked to see it further along I had a great weekend. Tim's parents were fabulous hosts (i.e. a well stocked beer fridge and some grub to die for), and Jody made herself at home and adopted some new foster grandparents, but I dont think the cat was too fond of the arrangement.

I already told Tim that as long as Im not otherwise engaged in something Im happy to come up again and spend some more time getting this build done. Frankly, he doesnt need my help but having someone to help share in the misery and the glory makes it a whole lot more fun. I cant wait to see Becky fire up and make it back on the road.

PS. as a capper to a great weekend I got a booty call after I got home Sunday night and mistakenly called Tim at like 5AM...I got kinda worried for a second when a guy answered the new phone number I was calling back only to have Tim clue me in I had mis-dialed. If he had only known he could have messed with me hardcore.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
Thanks for the compliment guys. BIG thanks go out to Pete- his tools made the job go by a lot quicker, as did his experience and expertise. He was a fantastic help. Well actually, I guess I was more of helping him. I like to think I know what I'm doing, but nothing beats experience, and he's got tons.

Like he said, no cocaine was consumed, just some stories that made me go :aigo: ..... :naughty:

Another HUGE thanks goes out to CK and AutoExpress. I was one of the unlucky ones to get the wrong clutch disk. CK was very professional throughout the whole thing, and ACT's shipment of the proper disk was extremely quick. Absolutely no hesitation to buy from him again. I'd do it now if I had more money. I'm looking forward to driving with the clutch to see how it feels in comparison to my HPF 6 puck.

And Kyle, you're welcome to stop by.. though not quite sure where you'd park. My house is overflowing with vehicles as it is! But you've done enough griping, finish your car already! ;)

-

Biggest problem we ran into is that I bought a "driver side" bushing to replace my lost one, and got another passenger side with a biggg tear in it. Emailing the seller tonight to hopefully get that resolved. Kinda shitty, cause if that were done, i'd be shockingly close to finishing it. Still gotta get the damn igniter pinned out. But its getting close!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Got Boost? said:
it's JODY!! Man, I miss that dog.

LOL, Jody the car show dog! Beloved by all! hehe.

Tim mentioned the chest attack from Doreen, but he ailed to mention the hot ass on her younger friend! I hope next time I come up we can find another wedding reception to crash! :naughty:

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Well did some research, and i wasn't able to find any 2.75" tubing radiused tight enough to get the throttle body IC peice to flow well.. so its going to have to be a little bastardized. I was going to get out my drafting stuff and properly engineer the angles, lengths, bends..but that would have been boring. So this evening I cut a whole bunch of various angles from straight stock, and started peicing together. Its ugly, and will require a shitload of welding, but it'll work. So tomorrow I'll fully map out the top peice, and then do the engineering to get it done wtih my leftover U pipe... still won't be as sexy as the rest of the piping, but it'll look better than this test peice:

ic+tb+_7_.JPG

upper+IC+piping1.jpg

ic+tb+_2_.JPG

ic+tb+_6_.JPG

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Small update: Finished routing the P/S lines and mounting the resevoir, got the igniter wired up except for supid B+... my instructions do not match the diagram. Grrr. Fusebox wiring almost done... ummm

Oh yea, all the guage sensors are in their final resting place, all wired up, and all battery connections are now 2ga. Why so large you may ask? Because I have a stereo. And an upgraded wiring system does waayyy more than a capacitor. Um... Still have to cut the final top IC part out of the 180... and then get it welded.

Though... i've found a way to make an ac arc welder into a tig so I dont have to spend hundreds taking it to a welder. Next paycheck I'm putting it all together. Woo!

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
I sent you a PM with my #, didn't hear from you.

Anyway progress on the car... STILL FUCKING WAITING to find a driver side motor mount. UGH.

Um other than that not a whole lot of progress, finished up pretty much all the wiring (Yipeeeee) I also redesigned that top IC peice that before was made out of 7 peices, this time it's done with four. flow should be a lot smoother, it looks nicer, and will be a shitload easier to weld.

First, the IC design was put into solidworks:
upper+ic.jpg

Sent that over to my buddy... it could be hydroformed in one peice, but he said to tool that would be around 1-2k. Fuck that. So, did some math, and cut up a U bend, some interesting angles later I've got:
new+top+ic+pipe+_3_.JPG

new+top+ic+pipe.jpg

pipe+comparo.jpg

pipe+comparo+_1_.JPG

Some of the peices needed to be rounded out, as they got distorted from the tube bender, but thats no real biggy. The bottom peice isn't on yet, cause the motor isn't in the car, so i can't get a final measurement, but its a straight peice that'll connect directly with the rest of the piping.

I found a stellar deal on a welder that I was going to pickup this weekend, but it sold literally 30min before I called. Shit. So its going to the welder next week, and hopefully I can get the hood and bumper to the body shop.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Well Ideally I'd love to have a proper tig, but I can't afford one. So I'm lookin at converting an AC arc into a tig. The one I found last week had a high frequency stabilizer on it, which would mean i wouldn't have to scratch start the arc- which would result in a much cleaner weld, and it'd give me a more reliable arc path. I would pick up an arc.. but i really want that stabilizer, and finding one is next to impossible :(

Oh, thanks for the kind words and your wiring help :D

Last edited: