S2 Now makes Carbon doors :)

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
figgie said:
must be 8 point minimum. Anything else is an excersice in a failure in geometry.

I love how people talk about weight reduction yet we have yet to see any SERIOUS power out of these motors yet.

oh well

I still think it is a silly idea if the intrusion bar/crash beam is not there. I don't care if CF is stronger. Unlike metal that absorbs and crumples. CF shatters and when that happens no energy absorption happens, meaning there is roughly about 2 feet of air cushioning the car and the human body. Yeah...... I will lose the 10th of a second and crank the boost up instead.

Well said, especially for the daily driver cars.

Anyway, I'd prefer to see some CF targas, trunk hatch, rear sun visor, engine under-tray cover, the black plastic piece that's on the B-pillar that's just behind the windows on the doors. Would be nice to see some of these plastic pieces in CF.

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
nice, but like others have already said i wonder how much weight these will actually save us? if its worth the money? it is nice to see people make sweet parts for our cars though. :naughty:

btw: slow i love your user title, and are you gonna have that car at vegas this year?

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
supradan22 said:
I wonder how the MKIII scene is like in Japan these days.

Seems like its good. I have access to many small obscure yet awesome parts manufactures, and there's actually alot out there for MKIII's. Unfortunately you have to order them in japanese and they cost an arm and a leg to bring over here cuz you have to get them in a container.

On a different note, i could tell from the beginning a carbon targa and doors although good on weight savings indeed will cause that lousy chassis flex, but i've always planned on a cage from the beginning, and more points than an 8. Out of hollow chromoly, so there will still be a greater weight savings in there... for me anyways. Then again my car is a stripped out dedicated track car now so i did away with any civility a long time ago.

emission

1.5JZ powered!
Jun 11, 2005
Long Beach, CA
I want it all! But I'd have to paint my supra for the doors to match.

Jza70 Shadow grey interior, blk paint, cf doors, cf door panel, cf hatch. That's hot and on my Advan blk/red SA3R's that be dope!

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
I can say at least for me, I will have a good cage by the time I get these... and adding a roll cage adds weight so why not reverse the effect a little bit by some CF/Fiberglass/Lexan ect/weight reduction. Duane has a cage and his car still weights far less then a stock MKIII, it makes a difference. I know I'm not going to be driving my car on the street almost ever... I'm building a trailer queen. I really don't think your going to see almost anyone here get these anyways, not many people in their right mind will spend more then they payed for they're mkiii's on cf doors... only the people who have big plans in mind or know the disadvantages to them.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Now I don't know what kind of racing you guys are doing, but a lot of bodies require NASCAR style door bars if you're taking out the crash beam in the door. And if these doors don't have anything there, then you may either have to run NASCAR door bars or add some kind of support beam in there.

But now for the sanctioning bodies that don't require that the door crash bar be there when you have a full cage with just x-bars. How much lighter would these CF doors be than completely gutted stock doors. Enough to justify the $$$/lb rate you'll be paying for them? I know carbon fiber is fancy and pretty and all of that, but weight is weight. So if the difference is a small percentage, then would it really be worth it to spend the money on the doors?

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
supramike7m said:
btw: slow i love your user title, and are you gonna have that car at vegas this year?

The car wont be there, but I will. Not enough time and $$ to finish the car lately...

Wiisass said:
How much lighter would these CF doors be than completely gutted stock doors?

gutted stock doors with glass are still heavy as fuck....

All i know is i will be picking up a set of these eventually....once we figure out availability, pricing, shipping, etc...i wanna know. :)

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
SupraOfDoom said:
I can say at least for me, I will have a good cage by the time I get these... and adding a roll cage adds weight so why not reverse the effect a little bit by some CF/Fiberglass/Lexan ect/weight reduction. Duane has a cage and his car still weights far less then a stock MKIII, it makes a difference. I know I'm not going to be driving my car on the street almost ever... I'm building a trailer queen. I really don't think your going to see almost anyone here get these anyways, not many people in their right mind will spend more then they payed for they're mkiii's on cf doors... only the people who have big plans in mind or know the disadvantages to them.

People adding cages are doing so for safety reasons. Usually because it's required for their car to race at the track.

If you want carbon doors because they weigh less and you must offset that because you have to add a rollcage to be safe negating the weight savings, then what's the point? Guys like Slow66 already have a cage anyway, so he actually would lose some weight.

You don't have to make up some reasons, Matt. Just say you want them because they are CF. :) There's nothing wrong with that.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Slow66 said:
gutted stock doors with glass are still heavy as fuck....

But what's fuck weigh? And you can neglect the glass because the CF doors don't have glass either. And were the doors you say are heavy, totally gutted, like just the outer shell and something to hold them onto the chassis?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here and trying to figure out how much you're paying per pound for something like this.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Doors are structural? LMAO.

Also, who is kidding themselves about a group buy? Its hard enough to get people to buy something for 100 bucks with zero delay for delivery.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
mkIIIman089 said:
Also, who is kidding themselves about a group buy? Its hard enough to get people to buy something for 100 bucks with zero delay for delivery.

If only we could get 9 or 10 people out of the 1000's at Supramania!!!
But yeah, totally, a cage with door beams is exactly what i'll be running with or without the doors, and the my cage is going to be welded into the body too, so once again, i wouldn't even need doors, so why not go with the lightest possible... if money were no issue. Yeah, its an issue but i will find a way, there is always a way.

So basically here's the new rule for these doors:

If you don't already have or plan on putting a sophisticated cage in your car for racing purposes don't get these doors. If you meet the criteria, sign down below

1. Ace Gentner!

I'm signed up, anyone else?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
-stock doors don't have a crash bar (mine don't!)

-CF is used to make entire shells of F1 cars now, they will take an impart far better than you would think, and NOT chatter like fiberglass

-CF is very stiff when made into a box structure as in a door

-Yes, on targa cars, the door IS a structural member (there is an extra piece that goes into a hole on the door jam)

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
F1 chassis and other monocoques do not just use carbon fiber. There is also a core material and this is where most of the strength comes in. It also depends on the manufacturing process and how everything was layed up and cured to determine how strong it is. Have you ever compared a true piece of a race car to the CF that you see on regular cars, totally different.

And I'm pretty sure all cars had to come with a crash bar in the door. I know the supras have them.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
true, it depends if it's just layed like FG, or if it's autoclaved(sp?) under vacuum

we'll have to see if we can get more info as it's all really just speculation right now...

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Poodles said:
-CF is used to make entire shells of F1 cars now, they will take an impart far better than you would think, and NOT chatter like fiberglass
See Robert Kubica's recent crash? All the body work exploded into thousands of tiny razor sharp shards. CF most definitely does shatter.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
OneJoeZee said:
People adding cages are doing so for safety reasons. Usually because it's required for their car to race at the track.

If you want carbon doors because they weigh less and you must offset that because you have to add a rollcage to be safe negating the weight savings, then what's the point? Guys like Slow66 already have a cage anyway, so he actually would lose some weight.

You don't have to make up some reasons, Matt. Just say you want them because they are CF. :) There's nothing wrong with that.
lightweight.. i dont care about cf... i have a fiberglass hood.... and I had planned on a cage from the get go.. cf doors or not.

Last edited: