S2 Now makes Carbon doors :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
SoD: CF doors will be stronger than the stock ones, never heard of the issues with CF hoods not crumpling and cutting heads off?

S2 is very reasonable on their other items, their widebody fenders are per pair and they're cheap...

that's not too bad though considering how complex the mold is going to be...

IJ: do the supras have a large crash bar inside the door? I don't recall seeing one in there like my bro's F-body had...

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
IJ. said:
Ditto..

A lot of $$$ for a small weight saving as the bare steel doors aren't that heavy. (it's all the crap inside that weighs a tonne)

True,

I actually cut out the door supports on my stock doors, and they were a solid 10lbs each. I'm not using any of the internals anyways (fixed lexan), but i'd sure like to see what a CF/lexan combo would weigh total....

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I was just wondering to myself, why doesn't someone make a fiberglass set of doors? From what I remember, it's not much heavier than CF and it's a fair bit cheaper...

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Nice find :) I tried to email them but will see. I am curious to see if they fit all the OEM parts, windows etc...

IJ: The intrusion beams will not have anything to do with the mounting of parts..is that what you are speaking of?

I can't see paying BIG dollars for a small weight savings..

Duane

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Burn me at the stake as a Heretic but in FG for the part to be stong enough to cope with everyday use it's going to be close the the weight of the steel part as it'll need a good deal of hardpoints and reinforcements added.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
carbon is stronger than fiberglass... (EDIT: DAMN YOU IJ FOR BEATING ME TO IT)

that would matter on targa cars as the door becomes a structural member with the top off...

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
The weight in the doors, as others have said, isnt so much the "metal".

Glass weighs alot.... and so do all the little do-dos to make that stuff work :)

For 2 grand +++ for 2 doors, think of the size of the turbo you can purchase? Or the amount of dyno time you can get.....

2 grand for what, a tenth of a second.....?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Herrrr heerrrrr heerrrr he said "do do"
beavis.jpg

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
s383mmber1 said:
The weight in the doors, as others have said, isnt so much the "metal".

Glass weighs alot.... and so do all the little do-dos to make that stuff work :)

For 2 grand +++ for 2 doors, think of the size of the turbo you can purchase? Or the amount of dyno time you can get.....

2 grand for what, a tenth of a second.....?

Thats why its not practical if you intend of keeping the amenities. I just want the carbon door shell. Lexan window, or maybe none at all (depends what the tracks rules are). A tenth of a second drag racing, but on a road course, or autocrossing, weight savings and weight distribution are very important. A carbon targa would be good too, think about it. Think about it, your whole center section would be carbon, doors & targa. That would cut alot of weight off the middle of the car and the rest of the weight would be over the wheels where you want it!!! So i'll get on with emailing them tomorrow sometime. I don't have a lot of time so it may be thrusday before i can ask them about a group buy

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
dude i ahve guttend a dorr and it weight alot trying to remmber the full weight think fully gutted it was roung 60 to 80 pounds

teh mk3 is heavly reinforced big time cause of the traga option both hard top and trage use the same door so they have to be very stroung to keep the winggle away much as possible

there heavy i knwo they wigh about as much as the driver's seat

IJ. said:
Ditto..

A lot of $$$ for a small weight saving as the bare steel doors aren't that heavy. (it's all the crap inside that weighs a tonne)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Slow66 said:
Sometimes, tenths matter... :)
Yes in machine work they do ;)

NashMan said:
dude i ahve guttend a dorr and it weight alot trying to remmber the full weight think fully gutted it was roung 60 to 80 pounds

teh mk3 is heavly reinforced big time cause of the traga option both hard top and trage use the same door so they have to be very stroung to keep the winggle away much as possible

there heavy i knwo they wigh about as much as the driver's seat

So by your own reasoning replacing the doors with these Carbon ones will result in even more Targa flex in the Chassis......