power from a NA 7m

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Quin;1019676 said:
I swear I saw a dyno chart or something from one of the stroker 7M guys, thought it was him. Wouldn't those high diameter headers actually hurt you, unless you had oversize valves and some decent port work done, possibly cams and a higher CR?

I could be completely off base here, but it seems like that's too big for the primaries for anything resembling a stock 7MGE.
I have a stroker but not that kind of numbers. The larger diameter headers wouldn't hurt, and his 7m is far from stock, he does have oversize valves, ported, cams and I think 12.5 to 1 compression. I think he was also going to run racing fuel or something else.

I've been waiting, and a few others, word of his build. Hope all is well, he has run into some bad luck over the past year.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Oh, OK. I was talking about MA70s car. I'd expect Defiant to run something that size, but it seems a little high for a nearly stock 7M (like I believe MA70s to be, correct me if I'm wrong).

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Quin;1019676 said:
I could be completely off base here, but it seems like that's too big for the primaries for anything resembling a stock 7MGE.

Maybe for your pansy ass valves :p

Seems to me that if the 7M head does flow more than the 5M head, why wouldn't it want to flow more out? As well as in also?

My 5M liked the header, just as much as my high comp 6M does. Neither has/had head work.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Quin;1019676 said:

See, I protected myself from an epic fail! :biglaugh:

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
imo n/a guys and girls need to not be so focused on gaining horsepower if there wanting to go fast. yeah you can have 200 at the wheels but your car still weighs 3700lbs (appoximate). i know i got high comp pistons, cams, ported head, headers. and still get my ass beat by little hondas with intake and exhaust because of power to weight. iam just tired of seeing the same threads over and over agian of how can i get more power in my n/a, if your wanting something fast then sorry you bought the wrong car! unless you turbo it, but its still a lead sled. just my 2 cents.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
gnarkill87;1019852 said:
imo n/a guys and girls need to not be so focused on gaining horsepower if there wanting to go fast. yeah you can have 200 at the wheels but your car still weighs 3700lbs (appoximate). i know i got high comp pistons, cams, ported head, headers. and still get my ass beat by little hondas with intake and exhaust because of power to weight. iam just tired of seeing the same threads over and over agian of how can i get more power in my n/a, if your wanting something fast then sorry you bought the wrong car! unless you turbo it, but its still a lead sled. just my 2 cents.

Looking for more power does not necessarily mean wanting to be the fastest car out there. Some people just want more power so the car will be more fun to drive. They could also be looking to improve their cars while saving for a turbo kit. In any case, weight reduction is a primary concern for the performance oriented among us already and is a separate discussion from improving the motor.

That said my stock NA outran several Hondas with intakes and exhaust so the problem may not be the car.:crazy1:

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
gnarkill87;1019852 said:
imo n/a guys and girls need to not be so focused on gaining horsepower if there wanting to go fast. yeah you can have 200 at the wheels but your car still weighs 3700lbs (appoximate).

Which is why I am gutting my already light mk2. :)

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Quin;1019768 said:
Oh, OK. I was talking about MA70s car. I'd expect Defiant to run something that size, but it seems a little high for a nearly stock 7M (like I believe MA70s to be, correct me if I'm wrong).

Yeah for a nearly stock 7M they are too big.

I was just wondering where she got them. Not really interested in them. I'm probably sticking to the stock manifold.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
benchwarmer;1019867 said:
Looking for more power does not necessarily mean wanting to be the fastest car out there. Some people just want more power so the car will be more fun to drive. They could also be looking to improve their cars while saving for a turbo kit. In any case, weight reduction is a primary concern for the performance oriented among us already and is a separate discussion from improving the motor.

That said my stock NA outran several Hondas with intakes and exhaust so the problem may not be the car.:crazy1:

i know some of these people just want alittle more out of there n/a and there's nothing wrong with that, thats what i did. iam just tired of the same questions being asked 200 times thats all.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
You know, you don't have to click on the thread if you're tired of the "same question".

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
I agree there are some of use that don't want the headaches and empty wallets that comes from a high horse power motor. With my driving style and what I want to do with my Supra 200-250 RWHP is all I need. I like taking on curvy roads and having too much power is dangerous. I've driven +400 RWHP cars before and I can't stand the sluggish low end inherent with those types of motors.

As they say different strokes for different folks.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
If you're going through the trouble of a swap you might as well put the gte in it. It will take just as much work to get power out of the 2JZ without a turbo. It has other advantages, especially if you plan on going turbo later, but stock for stock it's not going to be that big of an improvement for the cost over the 7m.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Now that I have a means of measuring the differences I've begun prototyping a couple different styles of air scoops... aggressive air scoops.

BTW, the stock air box is your best friend in this case. ;) Not that I'd recommend trying this if you're running the stock VAF.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
200-250 rwhp is a 7MGTE with full exhaust, stock CT. If the motor is in good condition I can't see a headache there :dunno:

If you're bound and determined to stay NA, a 2JZGE is a good choice. Cheap to buy, good platform if you change your mind later. Reliable as hell, tough as nails, good on gas, can't really go wrong with that. PM me and I'll send you to the right guys for low mileage GEs