power from a NA 7m

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
I've always wondered this..

Why do 7MGEs dyno with more RWTQ than RWHP if the factory rating is 200 HP/188 TQ? Is our torque underrated or is that how dynos are?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
AJ'S 88NA;1018331 said:
17.5 deg BTDC? Is that your base timing with the jumper wire?

Have to disagree with you a little with the NA not being too good off the line. I've tried it comming off at 4k and it did come off pretty well. I have Proxies 245's in the rear. But I probably have a little more torque:) You're just going to have to stop over and we'll run'em.:icon_bigg

Yeah.... any time. You've just gotta go in on half the gas bill for the trip and I'll leave tonight.

I'm running 235's all the way around. They're on 17's but still grab well enough. I can't really launch too hard, my clutch has been going since well before the MAFT Pro... really need to replace it, but it's only an intermittent problem.

Ma70.Ent;1018343 said:
I've always wondered this..

Why do 7MGEs dyno with more RWTQ than RWHP if the factory rating is 200 HP/188 TQ? Is our torque underrated or is that how dynos are?

Actually it has to do with a) the type of dyno b) the differences in the relationship between horsepower and torque and drive train losses.

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
Would you be able to hole shot if you had the new clutch?

I replaced mine last summer with an o'riellys oem.
Sorry. It was a cash flow call. That clutch was $150

I'll have a real one located and on order before this one takes a dump.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
These are main reasons I found for Supras being slow off the line is.

Because the owner built the motor for top end power not realizing that their bottom end power would suffer.
Worn out drive train parts.
And driver error.

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
I'm slow off the line because I want my ride to last.

Everynow and again I pop her back real good but not very often.

I enjoy this car on back country road type of drives.

Not so much straight line.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
I can understand being where I'm at. I like the low to mid power of the 7M. It's the main reasons I'm staying NA. Before I do any motor mod I do the research. How will the mod affect my power band, etc, etc.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I don't have any problems off the line. I ran an 88 GT Mustang(all stock) off the lights a while ago, and took her. Pulled half a car on her and stayed there thru first, pulled another half into second, and walked as she tried to wrap her ruststain out as high as my car(I shift at 6200). Third I just plain walked away. She really needed to learn how to drive...

A friend of mine owns a trans. shop here, and has a '75 Vette. I hung with him thru first and second, but third he walked away. He had the stock, tired 350 with headers and exhaust, and a well built th400 with a stall. he has the motor to match, now, and we don't waste the gas anymore...

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
My N/A hung with a mits 3000gt till 3rd gear.

I saw no reason to hammer on it.

This was with a sick HG right before the change.

Now the cars stronger but has to be dialed in.

I have a few other things going on with my engine right now
keeping me from driving.

But I'll get through it.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I wanted to snag a ride in your car Sean, I've only been in three running Supras... Mine is useless until third gear, Nate's was hitting fuel cut instantly and Jeff was breaking in his motor so he didn't get on it at all.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
haha, I've been flogging my car for the whole break in process. Probably have about 750 miles on it now or so (odometer wasn't working for the first couple hundred)

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Well to help break in the rings we ran up to 50 and let the engine decelerate to 30 or so, then acclerated back to 50 and back down repeatedly at varying speeds and rpms for a few miles. Then for the next 100 miles I tried to keep doing that, say in 3rd gear 4000rpms then decelerating. But after the initial 10 miles we were flooring it, slamming gears, sliding around corners, burning out the 1st 3 gears up an on ramp, LOL

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
sean210;1018887 said:
Mines oposite. My first has no umph and second slammes you.

Mines the same way. First gear has nothing but second and third pull like crazy. Probably a combination of gearing and driving style.

sean210

Father to Be
Nov 26, 2007
indianapolis
Quin;1018937 said:
I wanted to snag a ride in your car Sean, I've only been in three running Supras... Mine is useless until third gear, Nate's was hitting fuel cut instantly and Jeff was breaking in his motor so he didn't get on it at all.

Yea if you can make it up to the southside one weekend.

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
IJ.;1013902 said:
No no no and NO .....

Even when you add them up you're still NOT going to see big results as the motor is pretty damn good as is....

To make a big leap in NA power takes some serious coin and smarts, both of which tend to be in short supply here.

Personally I'd take a Mint NA over some flogged out rusty PoS GTE any day of the week.

hey ij what do you think if i said.im gona take the engine out use 5 bottles of free brake cleaner (courtesy of sheridin technical center lol)and spray down the engine .get new piston rings,hone the block,change the friction and main bearings,new 1.4 mm m head gasket,exhaust manifold. hard pipe intake,apexi dual n1 exhaust,and shifter bushings for fast shifting .+ a set of toyo proxies ?? i know i know its a dream but it will slowly get done right and be one of the cleanest na's im hoping for 300hp . with all fresh seals and and a properly honed block ..:sarcasm::evil2: