power from a NA 7m

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
CRE;1020933 said:
Now that I have a means of measuring the differences I've begun prototyping a couple different styles of air scoops... aggressive air scoops.

BTW, the stock air box is your best friend in this case. ;) Not that I'd recommend trying this if you're running the stock VAF.
I like aggressive :) When are we going to see some pics?

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
You guys have very good ears!

Yes, I had numerous problems at the dyno yesterday and most of my runs were cut short of redline because of various dyno sensors screwing up. The video I posted was the best I got, even though it was only to 5,000rpm or so.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Didn't score anything really, the dyno gave me horrible results that make no sense. My most consistant run was 114whp and 154 ft/lbs... another weird one was 137whp and 170ft/lbs.

Everyone I've spoken to says the dyno was inaccurate

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
AJ'S 88NA;1021061 said:
I like aggressive :) When are we going to see some pics?

It'll be a little while... I've got so much going on and I'm probably going to have to pull the bumper to finish measuring everything up. I've got some of the FG done the rest of it will take a little while... then I've got to build a vacuum triggered bypass valve (think deep puddles).

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
CRE;1022089 said:
It'll be a little while... I've got so much going on and I'm probably going to have to pull the bumper to finish measuring everything up. I've got some of the FG done the rest of it will take a little while... then I've got to build a vacuum triggered bypass valve (think deep puddles).

Do you ever sleep CRE???

I hope they didn't charge you for the pulls, goddess.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
CRE;1022089 said:
Well that sucks. No.. I guess you don't want it to suck at those times:)

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
I have been looking forever for those cf frog eye covers with the passenger side mini scoop.

I have been wondering why no one has a hood with a scoop.

I have been kicking around design ideas for the bottom plastic covering for where the air intake breathes from.

I don't want to use the 1 piece I have to cover that spot as a test subject.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
castrol supra;1022209 said:
I have been looking forever for those cf frog eye covers with the passenger side mini scoop.

I have been wondering why no one has a hood with a scoop.

I have been kicking around design ideas for the bottom plastic covering for where the air intake breathes from.

I don't want to use the 1 piece I have to cover that spot as a test subject.
The hood is not the best place to ram air into the intake. I believe you would have to get rid of the VAF if you are going to do a ram air. CRE has really researched all of the + & -'s of doing a ram air as opposed to just getting some cooler air to the air box.

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
I agree AJ. The hood sucks for a scoop.
Which is why I followed up with a cold air port.
That I have been thinking about. Just 1 of many variations.

I'm sorry if I offended you.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
castrol supra;1022229 said:
I agree AJ. The hood sucks for a scoop.
Which is why I followed up with a cold air port.
That I have been thinking about. Just 1 of many variations.

I'm sorry if I offended you.
No offence. A cold air port is a good idea, a few owners have put a filter in the area behind the fog light. Cooler air means more HP. :)

What CRE is trying is a ram air box. It probably wouldn't work with the stock AFM due to the vane inside. With the increased pressure it wouldn't work like it's suppose to.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The stock VAF simply won't do for this project. The vane can only move so far before it's providing the ECU a static signal which may not provide nearly enough fuel for what's getting shoved into that 22.75cu in (yes, pre89 foglight openings are huge!) opening at 50MPH and above. The foglight opening is one of the highest pressure areas on the car... the highest is in the center of the bumper, the main air pathway below, and the opening above the bumper on the pre89.

I am considering a design for the pre89 air inlet, but that one will be a while off as I'll have to move a few things... if I even decide it's worth the trouble.

I'll correct myself right now and state that I don't know for sure if the stock VAF could measure the airflow well enough... I doubt it, and I'm sure if it could that it wouldn't be accurate.

Anyone know how to dyno a car with a massive air ram to see what the RWHP would be at 70MPH or 90MPH or (my favorite) 110MPH?

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
Anyone know how to dyno a car with a massive air ram to see what the RWHP would be at 70MPH or 90MPH or (my favorite) 110MPH?[/QUOTE]

:naughty: Grip it and rip it. :evil2:

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
^^^Uh... that's helpful. Maybe I'll invest in one of those neato car radio's with a dyno built in! (yeah, I'm gonna cheap out now... Bwahahahaha<cough>hahahaha<cough hack>hahahahehehehehehe)

castrol supra;1022109 said:
Do you ever sleep CRE???

No.

castrol supra;1022109 said:
CRE is miles ahead of me. No doubt.

No doubt.

;)

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
CRE;1022409 said:
Anyone know how to dyno a car with a massive air ram to see what the RWHP would be at 70MPH or 90MPH or (my favorite) 110MPH?
Find somebody that has a G-tech or something like that you can borrow, wouldn't be as accurate as a dyno, but maybe show you the difference.

I was looking over the Log Works info for the WB 0-2, and ran accross a part in there that was talking about being able to calcuate HP. Check it out that maybe another way of checking the difference CRE.

Last edited: