power from a NA 7m

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
How can you be sure some of the water would not leak past the rings & end up in your oil, a real death sentence for your bearings?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Would you like to take a wild guess what one of the primary byproducts of an internal combustion engine is? ;)

A small amount of water is not a death sentence for the rings or the bearings...that is exactly what the PCV system is designed to take care of. If enough water gets past the rings to cause an issue, you've got a lot bigger problems. What is a death sentence is coolant...the acids formed as a result of mixing coolant and oil will etch the rings fairly quickly.

If you're really worried about it, time the cleaning with an oil change.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
suprarx7nut;1026271 said:
Did you just pull out the FORTHEMOTHERFUCKINGGODDAMNBADASSWINMOTHERFUCKER line?

...I think he did. :)

I may need to try that steam clean trick this summer.

Damn you're good.

Let me know when you're planning on steaming, we'll have a party. :D Of course it's easier to do on my car. Spraying with a pump sprayer used for misting plants works great. ;)

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
That's a pretty good trick to know :) I guess as long as you don't "flood" it the mist would steam off. And like Jdub said if you are worried about the water getting past the rings then you have other problems to worry about.

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
Would this really be viable???

I mean. How many cars have you guys owned that needed to have the pistons steam cleaned? Is it a 15 year old car thing?

This is my 1st supra. but I have driven nissan all my life.

I ask because I have never heard of anyone going to this extent to clean things.

I'm not trying to be upity. I'm trying to learn.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Nah...most of what I post is pure BS ;)

You see all kinds of claims by various products (additives) out there...95% is pure BS. That was kinda the whole point of what I said...good ole H2O works as well or better than just about anything else (for cleaning the combustion chamber), short of yanking the head off.

This will work on any car and carbon build-up in the combustion chambers is never good.
Need is based on whether you want to take the car to a mechanic or do preventative maintenance...your call.

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
I didn't mean it like that, man.
Sorry it came across that way.

I get the concept. I see where it's plausible.

Maybe "viable" was the wrong word.

My bad.

edit. I just finished putting all of that together and putting 10 miles on it.
I'm hoping I'm good to go till I find a solid swap.