Owner of a supra gets caught racing and gets car impounded.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
j3pz;937950 said:
fyi my opinion on street racing: do it at your own risk, no one else's. i have no problem with people doing it, just make sure the only person you can hurt is yourself.

street racing is illegal because youre risking other peoples lives, not like they deny track use. Anyways, we all have our own opinions, i dont think its fair to say its ok to break the law. Hope you guys understand that driving is a privilige, not a right, and you should treat it like one.

mc_h

Apr 1, 2005
Windsor/Detroit
CyFi6;937974 said:
street racing is illegal because youre risking other peoples lives, not like they deny track use. Anyways, we all have our own opinions, i dont think its fair to say its ok to break the law. Hope you guys understand that driving is a privilige, not a right, and you should treat it like one.

Driving is a right, to me - It's not like I don't pay to do it. That mindset in my opinion, is what's caused a downward spiral in the western world as far as personal rights go.

And yes, in some places...They essentially do deny track use(if cops sitting outside the entrance giving tickets for emissions, exhaust, ride height etc is sufficient for you)

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
^^They give you tickets because your car is illegal.... They have every right to sit outside... Sure, it's revenue raising, but if your car doesn't have illegal mods, you have nothing to worry about :)

As i said in this thread earlier, if your car isn't legal to be on the road, trailer it to the track :)

mc_h

Apr 1, 2005
Windsor/Detroit
LilMissMkIII;937989 said:
^^They give you tickets because your car is illegal.... They have every right to sit outside... Sure, it's revenue raising, but if your car doesn't have illegal mods, you have nothing to worry about :)

As i said in this thread earlier, if your car isn't legal to be on the road, trailer it to the track :)

Daytime running lights on a 90? Illegal? Nope
A car that you can fit half your hand in the wheel gap? Too low? Nope
"Improper muffler" when it's a proper muffler? Nope
Unneccessary noise for exhaust, when there's no DB rating in the Highway Traffic act? Nope.

I've been in more court rooms for bullshit tickets like these than you could keep count of, trust me...You're assuming that the police actually care to abide by the oath that they took firstly, and in addition you're assuming that they know something about cars. Neither of these apply in many cases

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
mc_h;937985 said:
Driving is a right, to me

Correction, driving is a privilege, not a right. They give you a test to see if you're capable of driving well and to see if you can abide by the rules. If you can't abide by these simple rules, you don't have any right to be out there risking others lives.

Duane

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
mc_h;937996 said:
Daytime running lights on a 90? Illegal? Nope
A car that you can fit half your hand in the wheel gap? Too low? Nope
"Improper muffler" when it's a proper muffler? Nope
Unneccessary noise for exhaust, when there's no DB rating in the Highway Traffic act? Nope.

I've been in more court rooms for bullshit tickets like these than you could keep count of, trust me...You're assuming that the police actually care to abide by the oath that they took firstly, and in addition you're assuming that they know something about cars. Neither of these apply in many cases

You must remember that the laws are different in different states and different countries ;)

Sure, we have asshole cops here, but in Aus, if they have a defect station setup and writing tickets, they tend to know exactly what they are looking for. (Or you get have an unfortunate situation like mine where the cops needed to write tickets before the end of their shift, they had no idea about cars and they "defected" my car for a whole lotta shit... Was as simple as getting an inspection and proving them incompetent :))

mc_h

Apr 1, 2005
Windsor/Detroit
upgradedsupra;938007 said:
Correction, driving is a privilege, not a right. They give you a test to see if you're capable of driving well and to see if you can abide by the rules. If you can't abide by these simple rules, you don't have any right to be out there risking others lives.

Duane

That's in your opinion. I'm a tax-paying citizen who passed the driving test with flying colors. It's a right to me now, not a privilege. We will never agree on this obviously. I don't even belong in this country with my views, to be honest...

mc_h

Apr 1, 2005
Windsor/Detroit
LilMissMkIII;938008 said:
You must remember that the laws are different in different states and different countries ;)

Sure, we have asshole cops here, but in Aus, if they have a defect station setup and writing tickets, they tend to know exactly what they are looking for. (Or you get have an unfortunate situation like mine where the cops needed to write tickets before the end of their shift, they had no idea about cars and they "defected" my car for a whole lotta shit... Was as simple as getting an inspection and proving them incompetent :))

Regardless, my point was it's a complete deterrant to goto the track and race off the street. Why am I going to drive 2 hours and spend $50 in fuel back and forth(conservative estimate) to goto a track to race, when the police are there just itching to hand out illegitimate tickets? Here, you can't get an inspection to prove a cop wrong. You have to go through a whole legal process of first attendance, then trial etc etc.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
I would drive more than 2 hours to the track, spend way more than $50 in petrol, because if i was silly enough to race on the street and have something happen (accident or getting caught), the costs for that are a hell of alot higher....

All comes down to our individual attitudes to risk i guess...

mc_h

Apr 1, 2005
Windsor/Detroit
LilMissMkIII;938029 said:
I would drive more than 2 hours to the track, spend way more than $50 in petrol, because if i was silly enough to race on the street and have something happen (accident or getting caught), the costs for that are a hell of alot higher....

All comes down to our individual attitudes to risk i guess...

Well, take it from me...I got "clocked 66 over" on a highway when I was going 125 in a 100 zone..Which is the rate of traffic on our highways here - It was heavy traffic, keep in mind and I have witnesses
Cop saw a modified car and made it his day to enforce the new provincial legislation against street racers...AKA anybody with a modified car. Car towed and impounded, lose my plates, lose my license for 7 days - Thank god a lawyer offered to represent me for free to shoot this laughable law down(violation of the charter of rights in every sense)...

But that along with many other bad experiences, has given me little to no respect for authority, let alone some scumbag trying to meet his quota with no integrity in doing so. And I did used to race on the street years ago - This is what happens when you stop though, apparently.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Street Racing Deaths x100 < DIU Deaths

Street Racing is dangerous and can be deadly but we all know its the idiots we see on the news with slightly modified and stock cars of young drivers that are the problem with it. People (such as me) street race but are selective and leave no innocent bystanders at risk on the racers. Street racing (to me) is alright if it is done on a deserted road day or night, spotters at both ends, and cars prepped for speeds and conditions. Obviously no racing in anything but dry, solid, flat roads, with plenty of room to slow down if anything happens. Not to say I don't support your local track. I don't see why more is done for DUI and impairment when it causes 100x the deaths.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
mc_h;938019 said:
That's in your opinion. I'm a tax-paying citizen who passed the driving test with flying colors. It's a right to me now, not a privilege. We will never agree on this obviously. I don't even belong in this country with my views, to be honest...

Driving is not something that is required but something we enjoy and it makes life easier. "Driving" is a form of movement that is regulated. You do have the right to drive anywhere you want but it is a privilege, to bring your car/vehicle onto public roads. BTW, a right is something that is not only guaranteed but cannot be taken away so it leaves me with this, can your license be taken away?

A car has the capacity to easily cause a great amount of damage. The roads are owned by the government therefore it is their decision who is able to use them. aka privilege.

Duane

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
suprahero;937760 said:
Hi, my name is Jay Hayes and I'm a street racer...................

HI JAY!!!!!

I have raced a lot of cars on the street, but never where people are gathered, and never with other cars on the highway in front of us. I'm not trying to justify my actions, because I couldn't care less if you agree with me or not. I'm not judging anyone on here and I don't care if I'm judged. I'm not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing, but why would you own a turbo'd supra other than to beat the shit out of every mustang gt that wanted some. I'm easily amused and that makes my day. :evil2:

Flame on, I've got the new UFRS2000........ultra flame retardant suit 2000

What he said.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Street racing has been around since the wheel and there is nothing you can do to stop it. You can make it illegal with stiff fines and penalties but that still is not going to stop it. Wake up people! People are going to race no matter what the cost.

If you want to talk about injuries then talk about the injuries caused by people who can't put down their damn cell phones while driving. Your chances of having an accident while talking on a cell phone is greater then if you had a blood alcohol content of twice the legal limit. The number of people injured or killed while street racing is low compared to the numbers caused by law abiding people talking on their cell phones and driving.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
7Mboost;938060 said:
Street Racing Deaths x100 < DIU Deaths

Street Racing is dangerous and can be deadly but we all know its the idiots we see on the news with slightly modified and stock cars of young drivers that are the problem with it. People (such as me) street race but are selective and leave no innocent bystanders at risk on the racers. Street racing (to me) is alright if it is done on a deserted road day or night, spotters at both ends, and cars prepped for speeds and conditions. Obviously no racing in anything but dry, solid, flat roads, with plenty of room to slow down if anything happens. Not to say I don't support your local track. I don't see why more is done for DUI and impairment when it causes 100x the deaths.
Yep yep. Agreed 1000%.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
So basically, to sum up what those of you who participate in and condone street racing think:

You do it because:

- you are too lazy to drive to the track
- you are too cheap to pay for the entry to the track
- you don't want to be annoyed by the cops

Have I missed anything?

I am yet to hear a decent argument as to *why* you guys do this and endanger your lives and those of others...