Owner of a supra gets caught racing and gets car impounded.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Piratetip;937488 said:
Some POS honda was trying to roast its tires when I was walking back from class (its 10 F here).
I smelled burning clutch and there was a nice black cloud of burning oil.

There should be a law to crush the car w/ owner inside. Dumbasses

How about just crush the owner? The car can't help what moron owns it.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
I've only raced once, and it wasn't even for that long. Sometimes IMO, it's just fun to "race", but still, I usually do it with minimal people around. I don't try to race in traffic and stuff cause that's just dumb.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
drive under the influence or driving while intoxicated will still remain the #1 automotive reason why PEOPLE DIE. Walking, driving, even in the comfort of your own home. I think SOME of their ways of handling street racing is too rough. While others are being overlooked. Loss of license for 2 yrs? 2500 fine? loss of car? Why don't they do this to the people who drink and drive? At SLOW speeds they kill many. I do think impounding is good but the option to get it out that day is also a must. Not fair to have it kept there through out the case.

Also, about illegal mods on a car, a test pipe is an illegal mod. If you have one will you take it off the road? I think not, bright HID lights are illegal, any light not amber or clear for turn signals is illegal, tint is illegal. We all customize and race for a reason. Its a personal choice to race street and track or street or track.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
As far as pushing "your" views on "others", that is what laws are.... period. You will not escape that in any civilized culture. Street racing is against the law, it has severe consequences, and rightly so. Do other laws need tighter enforcement, of course? Is that a justification to street race? Again your call, but when your car is in the crusher, you can’t find insurance, and you are taking a cab or bus to work.... don't complain.

mrsuprafreak

Where does it end?
Aug 14, 2005
Orlando
www.cardomain.com
csnow;937512 said:
As far as pushing "your" views on "others", that is what laws are.... period. You will not escape that in any civilized culture. Street racing is against the law, it has severe consequences, and rightly so. Do other laws need tighter enforcement, of course? Is that a justification to street race? Again your call, but when your car is in the crusher, you can’t find insurance, and you are taking a cab or bus to work.... don't complain.

+1

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
Honestly, I agree with most of you, you get caught, you should be punished... two outs on this one, either A. DONT STREET RACE. or B. Dont get caught.(b. would only apply to people with about an IQ of atleast 40) Most of us that go out and do these horrible things(which is currently being compared to drinking and driving...wow are we off base) do this 'racing' in industrial parks late at night. The people on the streets racing stop light to stoplight are f'ing idiots. Have I done a stoplight race, yes, was it fun, yes, was it stupid, hell yes(damn honda punk taunted me but I cant use that as an excuse, I was in the mood for amusement) Anyways, I believe in the controlled environment thing, tracks, industrial parks, same thing to me. A bunch of punk teens and stupid parents for giving their kids sports cars is the reason we have a problem today. The people with brains you dont hear about because they DONT GET CAUGHT and also out of site, out of mind. Most street racing is to show off to others, in the smart peoples minds, its for either money or for satisfaction, not to show off in most cases. I dont think these two cultures should be characterized under the same title and honestly, if the cops or general public would have a track in the city, then we will pay, off the streets, but the f'ing street light idiots will still do what they do, cause their idiots.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
Also want to reply about the car killing 8 people at a street race, just want to clarify to make sure their is not misunderstanding, a guy in the white four door car driving down the road, saw a bunch of white smoke and plowed into a crowd of people in the smoke... That is just a horrible accident. I will say this though, the bystanders knew the risks(most of them). If you ever notice why you have to sign something at the dragstrip, what you are signing is a release of all liability from the track(your signing your rights to sue if you get injured or die at the track). What this means is our sports have very grave consequences on the track or off, stuff happens, I have seen dirt track outlaws ingulf in flames and roll over the fence into crowds of people, it happens everywhere.... Too many people are one sided. Conclusion, shit happens everywhere.

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
apox;937409 said:
you call that a valuable post?

see my ass?? kiss it...

WOW!

Quoted for... Well I'm not quite sure Why I quoted it.... lol...

Anyone remember that thread about whether or not to run from the cops? This thread is Completely Deja Vu of that. Jackass included ^^^

Essentially... IBWoS (If it even GOES to the wall of shame... It'll probably just get shut down...)

My opinion on street racing is that it's stupid. Fun. But Stupid. Especially if there are other cars/people around.

Plus the last time I tried to street race, I BHGed... lol...

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
If you can not control your car during simple acceleration in a straight line you may want to consider your abilities to drive in any other situation. Though it may be illegal, street racing is not wrong. That is like saying killing is wrong, yet we all partake in it some way or another.

There is one thing that seems to back up street racing when it comes to an arguement over it's danger. Whenever I am driving fast I am fully alert, I would generalize that is how it is for much of anyone who drives fast given their surroundings. Yet I see so many stupid moves made by drivers who are just not paying attention. Now you tell me who is most able to make good judgement out of a situation that may arise. The person who is going too fast for the situation or the person who does not even realize what the situation is?

The bottom-line everyone forgets about this arguement is simple. Some drivers are better than others. I am statistically safer doing 3 times the speed limit through curves and various other obstacles than the majority of drivers on the road. I have never been in an accident that involved an injury nor have I ever been considered at fault. Not that it makes much difference, but the three times I have collided with other vehicles I was not breaking any law and like I said was not at fault. The drivers of the other vehicles I collided with were simply being oblivious, not speeding or being otherwise "reckless".

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=384972

A blitz on illegal street racers has led to a record number of car confiscations across New South Wales, with highway patrol officers seizing 84 vehicles in the past two months.

The latest drivers charged with street racing offences were caught allegedly racing at 170km/h through Sydney's airport tunnel at the weekend.

The Honda CRX and Mazda RX7 were impounded and their licences suspended on the spot, but that didn't curb their attitudes as they waved their middle fingers at National Nine News' cameras.

"Get a good picture, put this on a front paper, ya dog", one yelled.

They'll face court next month.

The record success of Operation Taipan has proved a pleasant surprise for senior police who've spent years trying to perfect a strategy to deal with car hoons and street racers.

"It has never been as successful as it has been at the moment", acting traffic services commander Ron Mason said.

"Because of new legislation, we can actually hit people where it hurts."

Recent changes allow police to immediately seize offending vehicles and repeat breaches could lead to cars being put up for auction.

National Nine News spent a shift in an unmarked highway patrol car touring the "street racing hotspots" of Bankstown and Milperra.

Our guide was veteran highway officer Adam Wood, who has been catching street racers in the area for more than a decade.

"This particular stretch here, the Hume Highway, the speeds we've detected down here … sometimes in excess of 180-200 km/h", senior sergeant Wood said.

"They don't think of the consequences, how many people they hurt by just one act of lunacy."

At a rate of nearly 10 vehicle seizures per week, the police impound yards are quickly filling up.

"They can expect their car in the bin for three months — as simple as that", Bankstown commander Dave Darcy said.

That's exactly the fate that has befallen Rick Thomas and Thomas Drzewucki, who faced Bankstown court today, accused of racing each other at Milperra two weeks ago.

It's alleged Thomas,46, was behind the wheel of a Subaru WRX and Drzewucki, 26, was in a Honda Civic as they reached 150km/h in the rain along Milperra Rd.

Thomas today applied to the court to have his beloved car returned.

The government iss about to get even tougher with street racers and is poised to introduce legislation that would allow police to wheel clamp the cars of first offenders.

Repeat culprits would face watching their pride and joys destroyed in supervised crash tests.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
jetjock;937692 said:
Lmao again...at the "statistically safer doing three times the speed limit" 21 year old Rusty Wallace wannabe. God how this place slays me...

I typically don't encourage the usefulness of statistics. However many others require statistics, hence the reason I made the statement. If you disagree with the statement then counter it.

I don't know what Rusty Wallace has to do with this. For your information stock car racing is not what I aspire to. No, this place does not slay you. You are still alive. The point is that we can sit down and have a logical arguement about the subject. However it doesn't seem like you guys want to do that. Hence the reply to my statement you just made.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
in the news statement so graciously posted by lilmissmkiii, the two guys racing in the rain... they would fall under the idiot category. I would love to see their cars used as crash tests(20 to 1 says the honda will be unrecognizable, except maybe the shinny fart can and crappy 'type r' stickers :)

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Yes, the 2 males made examples of were racing in the rain, however the article also mentions the fact that some people are caught doing 180-200kmph on the Hume Highway... 99% of you don't know, but that is a 4 lane divided highway... An area that most of you would no doubt consider "safe" for street racing/driving like an idiot...

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
SySt;937650 said:
Though it may be illegal, street racing is not wrong. That is like saying killing is wrong

I really don't know what to say to that :aigo:

Honestly Luke, I am at a loss for words with that logic :1zhelp: