My restoration project - Rusty 89

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
buckshotglass said:
What is your plan for the motor? No mention of that yet.

Motor will be sort-of left as-is. It currently has 50k kms on a full performance rebuild including:
hot tanked/magged/painted block
.020 overbore w/new toyota pistons (only real weak point of the engine)
p&p (gasket matched), rebuilt head
new oil pump, water pump, etc
knife edged + polished crank, reconditioned rods
whole assembly balanced and blueprinted
and of course, the hks head gasket

right now I'm sticking with a S-AFC2/LS400 AFM/550/walbro pump/aeromotive fpr setup for EFI.
Turbo is a 36k km CT26 cold side/turbonetics hot side 60-trim upgrade (running 15psi before teardown, zero shaft play - i don't believe it either)
I'm going to clean up (polish) the inside of stock exhaust manifold for the interim until the turbo dies.
I'm going with the standard big front mount w/2.75 or 3" piping to a mk4 ffim through a q45 throttle body.

This should all basically make the turbo (then injectors) the bottleneck of the system. AEM EMS/bigger turbo and manifold are the future plans.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
mk3forme said:
wow this is a great build. Soooo happy to see this car get some attention and not headed for the scrap yard. I have one that isnt even that bad that im thinking about scrapping. Was yours bad enough that practically every bolt you pull off of it, it breaks? Mine is a parts car of sorts and everytime I go to unbolt something I end up with a broken bolt.

there were alot of broken bolts when I disassembled areas exposed to the elements - I then learned to soak every bolt I removed in liquid wrench, and had a lot more success.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
OK, so it has been a while since I've updated this page...many things have been happening in my life (like getting engaged) preventing me from getting a great deal of work done on the car...

Anyhow, here are some things that have happened since last update

I've made a bit more progress on the interior - sure it may not look like much, but once I get a throttle cable and install the steering column, in goes the dash.
p737989_1.jpg

Here is the front suspension, permanently installed. Refinished subframe and hubs, rebuilt ps rack, new lower control arms, new upper control bushings, new ball joints, new tie rod ends, whiteline sway bar
p737989_2.jpg

The brakes (minus the caliper of course) from Andy at ARZ. Freakin sweet. Front shocks are A'PEXi (6 way hight, 7 way dampening) with tanabe springs
p737989_3.jpg

I wanted to show these off because a little bit of work went into them - rear control arms with new bushings, and new sway bar tabs welded on - note the thickness in the second pic....I don't think they'll be bending or breaking off.
p737989_4.jpg

p737989_5.jpg

Re-finished steering wheel with new cruse control buttons - It looks brand new....fibrenew (www.fibrenew.com) does excellent work - they also did my e-brake lever.
p737989_6.jpg

And finally, the end result of my after-work work in the machine shop at work (along with the bushing install and welding of the rear control arms), the rear hubs - completely refinished with new bushings installed. New wheel bearings will be going in after the long weekend.
p737989_7.jpg

That is all for now. Hopefully it gets together before the snow falls.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
WOW! That's great progress... could you guys do MY front end for me?:biglaugh:

Keep it up, please!:icon_bigg

(Lots of inspiration here...)

-crisp

Jo3f1sh

Noob
Jul 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
adampecush said:
Re-finished steering wheel with new cruse control buttons - It looks brand new....fibrenew (www.fibrenew.com) does excellent work - they also did my e-brake lever.
p738222_1.jpg

Nice! How much did that run you if you don't mind me asking? I was looking to get my wheel recovered as well...and they've got a franchise here in DFW...

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Jo3f1sh said:
Nice! How much did that run you if you don't mind me asking? I was looking to get my wheel recovered as well...and they've got a franchise here in DFW...

for the wheel, horn pad, and the e-brake lever it was $140. Durability is supposed to be equivalent to brand new, so that is a small price to pay for "new" leather.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
Everything looks awesome. That steering wheel is black correct? It kinda looks navy blue. Did you get the new buttons from Toyota? How much? What exactly did they do to the horn pad? Cover it?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, that picture is deceiving - up close, the wheel is black. I did get new buttons from toyota, I think they were about 140 together. As far as I know, the horn pad was finished with the same coating as the steering wheel.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Update...installed a few things into the engine bay - cleaning things such as the wiring harness and all the parts is such a pain in the ass....and they never come out quite clean enough (take the fuse box for example...) - oh well, shit happens.
p760158_1.jpg

p760158_2.jpg

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Beautiful progress! Thanks for the photos and inspiration!:love:

-crisp

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Wow, we're in very similar work here, except you're doing what i am x100 :D

Looking fantastic! Everything is so perfect! I love how everyone calls me crazy for cleaning and painting parts and bolts that will NEVER be seen, then I hop on supramania and find people like you, driftking, buckshot, duane, polobai, etc!!

So many AMAZING builds going on right now! Your's is one of my top 3 favorites, and while I say you need to update more, I truly understand how tedious the work is at this point, and it's good to take your time here :)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Hot damn, i think this is the least time between two updates yet!

Picked up some new goodies for the car - my parts room is starting to fill up faster than I am emptying it.
p763752_1.jpg

10.5 x 24 x 3.5....with well designed endtanks (from treadstone performance)
p763752_2.jpg

All new parking brakes
p763752_3.jpg

Here is the rear subframe - minus the differential which should be back to me early next week...please don't judge me on the cleanliness of my work table.....
p763752_4.jpg

MK4 rear brakes mocked up - still need to fab a rotor bracket and mounting hardware.
p763752_5.jpg

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
MKIII-DRIFTKING said:
What is that on the fuse box that didn't want to come out?

just some random dirt i think...I'm searching for a fuse box cover that is in better shape, so it doesn't really matter.