My restoration project - Rusty 89

Muzy

Oct 3, 2008
Alberta
Wow, thats how ta do'er. I applaude your hard work and dedication. Simply fantastic.
Looks great. Muzy

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
an update:

I should have had the engine in the car today, but upon installing my clutch, i noticed that the spec pressure plate is missing 3 pretty crucial rivets.

Aside from this, recently, the following has been done to the car:
New oil seals front and rear
Enlarged oil pan
+12V fuel pump wiring upgrade
HID light wiring
Flywheel install (machined and balanced FW)
Installed mk4 intake manifold

well, some pics
p1169150_1.jpg

p1169150_2.jpg

pressure plates (stock left, spec right)
p1169150_3.jpg

chuckmuska2005

Dec 3, 2007
canton
This is a truely amazing restoration with great mods with the MKIV brakes and intake manifold and the transmission cooler and intercooler. Just looked through all 25 pages. great, Great work!

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I'll get some more pictures once I drop the engine in the car...

As far as the EGR is concerned, I just need to put together some new piping, machine a flange, and braze it all together

The MK4 manifold was by no means an easy part to put on the car...there was quite a bit of hand-machining needed to fab the required adapter.

heres the adapter:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
Hey Adam,

do you have a diagram or description on how you laid out your oil cooler system with the bypass setup?

Relocator adapter > amsoil setup > thermostat > cooler > thermostat > relocator adapter?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
yep, thats it.
engine to filters to thermostat to cooler to the thermostat and back to the engine.

when the thermostat is in bypass, the circuit turns into:
engine to filters to thermostat to engine.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
An update of the last couple days.

As can be seen from the picture below, the engine is finally in the car. What a pain in my ass. After realizing the hoist boom wasn't long enough and having to remove the bumper support/intercooler/oil cooler, the hydraulic cylinder on the engine hoist we were using decided to give up when the engine was halfway in the car. We couldn't lift the engine, and if we dropped it down or adjusted the angle, the engine mount would hit the firewall, or the widened oil pan would hit the subframe/steering hardlines. After an hour of swearing/trying to pump the cylinder/thinking/swearing, we decided to sacrifice some paint on the oil pan and jack up the rear of the transmission and slide the motor into place. Finally, as can be seen from the picture, the engine found its way in. (not without some f'ing firewall dings though)

p1176063_1.jpg

so now i've got all of the little stuff to do. Things left include:

Finish oil lines
Install turbo and exhaust
Install boost and WB02 gauge
Fabricate intercooler piping
install intercooler and oil cooler
finish egr system
assemble front bumper
finish interior
fill with fluids
finish HID/stereo/fuel pump fuse box wiring
install driveshaft carrier bearing
torque random bolts
start car!

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
Looks great! Nice to see how that manifold adapter worked out.

As far as finishing the EGR, ....it seems like it would have been easier to do "outside" the car?!?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
bryanintexas;1176067 said:
Looks great! Nice to see how that manifold adapter worked out.

As far as finishing the EGR, ....it seems like it would have been easier to do "outside" the car?!?

nah, not really. the bottom portion is already mounted to the head, all I have to do is finish up the tubing section which bolts to the lower section.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
couple more pictures, got the driveshaft and new carrier bearing in, as well as bled the clutch system and torqued some random bolts. The end result, a few hand scrapes and a torque wrench dropped on the face.

Yes, that's the stock driveshaft. I'll sacrifice some rotating weight for the smoothness of the stock DS any day.

p1177659_1.jpg

p1177659_2.jpg

better engine shot than before
p1177659_3.jpg

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
shaftmasters has got a lightweight two piece driveshaft...

I considered a lightweight driveshaft, but for now, i've decided the stocker will do. This car is all about the oem drivability and reliability.