Doward's 375rwhp Build.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
is it? I had heard it was 1.2mm arg, tossing my measurements out the window!

I'm going to have to measure the piston protrusion anyway, and I'll work it out from there.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It is.....

Real good idea to measure YOUR motor as there are quite a few variables piston height being one of em.

Also a good idea to measure Main bearing saddle to Deck at each end of the block.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A lot depends on how they Jig the block on the machine, most will use the pan rails as a register I prefer using the saddles but that is governed by the tooling at the shop.

Had a crooked deck on my old 4v V8 and blew 5 HG's before I discovered it :(
(The block had been O Ringed so I assumed they had squared it up before cutting the receiver grooves)(assumption the mother of all fuckups)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Ian, your last words are how I live my life :D Assume NOTHING.

Tachyon's telling me they've got some Italian machine there. I'm going to tour the place a bit before I let them do the work I need. One thing I'm not liking, is that they farm out the balancing. We'll see.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
John -

Don't forget that each different piston manufacture has different dish volumes as well as crown heights - which will have an effect on HG choice. Valve type will also play a part - Ferrea uses a dished face vs OE Toyota's flat-face (which will have a very obvious impact on CC volume), no to mention any chamber work that is being done.

Its all in the details

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
The head is getting CC'd (each chamber) before it goes back on. Since Tachyon has a flowbench in house, I'm definitely giving them the head to work on ;)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Alright, the Eagle Rods are on their way, the manifold and pistons will get ordered next week... GT4088 ordered week after that with the wastegate!

I'm hoping to have this motor dropped off next week at the machine shop, as well. Slowly but surely :)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
THE BOLT IS OUT! HARMONIC BALANCER WAS DESTROYED! MAYHEM REIGNS!

Sorry, happy evening for me. Will find out if I have a 7M crankshaft or not, tomorrow :)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yes! 7MGE in an 02/90 build dated Cressida. $100.91 to take the longblock. I've got the motor ready to come out, and I'll be heading there in the morning to pick her up :cool:

In the mean time, I'm going to finish disassembling my block tonight, and see about weighing a piston and rod.

I don't suppose anyone has the stock piston or rod weights?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
oilpumpshaft.JPG

Oil pump shaft eccentric - weird, I suppose you could run a mechanical fuel pump?

leakycrankseal.JPG

Hmm... seems I have some seals to replace :D Not that I was going to reuse them!

block.JPG

Ahh... all disassembled!

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
John, the earlier M series engines did indeed have a mechanical fuel pump, they never took out the provision for it when the switch to fuel injection was made, I guess they were cutting costs without having to modify the M block too much as each new generations came along....

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
7mge.JPG

'91 7MGE! 7M crankshaft. Already pulled the pan and checked ;)

U pull it comes through! Though I literally had to rape that poor Cressida.....

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
rods.jpg

Aren't they puuurty? :D

If I had to describe these rods in one word - DENSE. Jesus H, they are sturdy. ARP2000 hardware, as well!

You know, somebody needs to slap me over the head. Did I not say that I wasn't going to go all crazy on the 7M?

Now I've got forged rods, a true 7M fully counterbalanced crank, ATI damper, 12lbs flywheel, working on a set of forged pistons - and I have a PT67 on the way AND a set of 680cc injectors!

375rwhp. Yeah. I think I'll hit that, alright. :3d_frown: