Blue CC Temp Display!

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I like the sound of it.... hmmm, I might have to look into adding another temp sensor and wiring it into the compressor along with a TPS to kill the A/C when I'm flooring it (and yes, I know, it's been done)

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Kai said:
If you want, i can send you my slidey Climate Control Unit if that'll help.

Hehehe.... perhaps down the road. I've got enough on my 'to do' list as it is right now. Thanks though.

Gargoyle

Mar 13, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Here are a couple photos from the yellow(amber). Believe it or not these were the best of the group I took. Apparently I cant hold a camera still long enough for the exposure. The cc control in a couple looks like it is actualy yellow but it emits the same color as the rest of the lights.

Attachments

• ccandgauges.JPG
    ccandgauges.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 100
  • jitterydash.JPG
    jitterydash.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Rightdash.JPG
    Rightdash.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 88

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Damn! I really like it! So is the temp display still green or have you found a pin compatible yellow display? Or is it red? Well? You gonna keep me guessing here?

It looks VERY nice!

Gargoyle

Mar 13, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Thank you CRE, the digital display for the cc is still green. I have a white 90 turbo that I did a full conversion to blue on and it also has the same issue with green displays for the cc, clock, and tems indicator lights. Would like to get rid of the green and turn it to each respective color but like I said...got lazy and don't know how to do the board you were describing for the cc display. The other note that I didn't get a photo of is the exterior lock bezel for the white car I have also turned to blue. Having a problem finding a yellow(amber) 5mm rectangular led for the brown car. If anyone knows where I can a couple I would appreciative. Thinking if I get four I may be able to rig a board for the tems indicator lights.

Brian

BRIAN

Supramania Contributor
Jan 7, 2006
socal
i've got a radio that displays in orange, how would i be able to change it to blue? would i just get some tint and cover it? One more question, did you guys learn by just messing with this stuff or learn from past things that you have done.

-Brian

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Doward said:
CRE, where did you find a 7 seg dual digit blue LCD? What size are ours, anyway?

The 7 seg. displays I used I got from DigiKey. As mentioned before they are not plug and play. I haven't found any that are. The blue display I've made is made up of two 7 seg. modules mounted on an intermediary PCB I etched.
The character height of the stock unit, as well as my replacement, are about 10mm.

BAD BRIAN said:
i've got a radio that displays in orange, how would i be able to change it to blue? would i just get some tint and cover it? One more question, did you guys learn by just messing with this stuff or learn from past things that you have done.
-Brian

I avoid, as much as possible, trying to change lighting color using any tint. Using tints and lighting gels very quickly kills the display's brightness. A complete change of color using filters, such as red to blue, is usually much worse. If the display isn't just rendered painfully dim it may not show anything legible at all.

How to go about changing it depends on how the stereo face is illuminated to begin with: LED backlit LCD, LED sidelit LCD, CCFL backlit or sidelit, VFD.... there are a lot of possibilities. There is usually more than one way to change a display color, most aren't terribly easy. The easiest is if you can find a direct drop-in replacement, such as the red display a couple people have used in the MKIII's CC.

Do you happen to know if your stereo's display is LCD, LED or VFD based? If it's VFD, you'll probably have a hell of a time with it, unless it's a full dot matrix display.

As for learning this 'stuff', I learn the most from actually digging in. The theory involved in this stuff is simple. The actual operation in some cases is very involved. I have an uncle who is an electronic engineer and a cousin (the aforementioned uncle's son) who is a microprocessing engineer (I think that's the title). I hit the two of them up when I'm stumped on something or if I need a fast solution for something. I've always just dug in though, for as long as I can remember. I like having a fair idea of how the things I interact with on a daily basis function and are made... although my memory is in such a sad state lately that I find myself actually referring to notes... :3d_frown:

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
xrated89 said:
any update ontheclock in red?

I'm working on it. I haven't had too much time to work on it. I will be looking into it further on Sunday and Monday. At this point in time it's looking like I'm going to have to build a whole new unit to fit in the stocker's enclosure. On the plus side I may be able to add a few extras to it. :icon_cool

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
So CRE, I take it you used the 10 DIP 160-1521-5-ND blue LCD display?

Kick ass... going from a 10 to a 16, right? (I seem to remember reading the stocker is a 16)

I can see the need for an intermediary PCB in that case. Hmm... Wonder what the odds of you selling those would be? :D

That PCB, if I'm right, will allow you to use any 10 DIP Liteon common anode setup.

In other words -
Blue
Yellow
Yellow/Orange
Super Red

Definetely a worthwhile project, man! +1.

BRIAN

Supramania Contributor
Jan 7, 2006
socal
CRE said:
The 7 seg. displays I used I got from DigiKey. As mentioned before they are not plug and play. I haven't found any that are. The blue display I've made is made up of two 7 seg. modules mounted on an intermediary PCB I etched.
The character height of the stock unit, as well as my replacement, are about 10mm.

I avoid, as much as possible, trying to change lighting color using any tint. Using tints and lighting gels very quickly kills the display's brightness. A complete change of color using filters, such as red to blue, is usually much worse. If the display isn't just rendered painfully dim it may not show anything legible at all.

How to go about changing it depends on how the stereo face is illuminated to begin with: LED backlit LCD, LED sidelit LCD, CCFL backlit or sidelit, VFD.... there are a lot of possibilities. There is usually more than one way to change a display color, most aren't terribly easy. The easiest is if you can find a direct drop-in replacement, such as the red display a couple people have used in the MKIII's CC.

Do you happen to know if your stereo's display is LCD, LED or VFD based? If it's VFD, you'll probably have a hell of a time with it, unless it's a full dot matrix display.

As for learning this 'stuff', I learn the most from actually digging in. The theory involved in this stuff is simple. The actual operation in some cases is very involved. I have an uncle who is an electronic engineer and a cousin (the aforementioned uncle's son) who is a microprocessing engineer (I think that's the title). I hit the two of them up when I'm stumped on something or if I need a fast solution for something. I've always just dug in though, for as long as I can remember. I like having a fair idea of how the things I interact with on a daily basis function and are made... although my memory is in such a sad state lately that I find myself actually referring to notes... :3d_frown:
Thats pretty cool, now I don't know if its LED,LCD,VFD neither do I know how to spot one even if you where to throw them at my face, I'll open it up and take pics, do you order the lights or just head out to pepboys.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Doward said:
So CRE, I take it you used the 10 DIP 160-1521-5-ND blue LCD display?

Kick ass... going from a 10 to a 16, right? (I seem to remember reading the stocker is a 16)

I can see the need for an intermediary PCB in that case. Hmm... Wonder what the odds of you selling those would be? :D

That PCB, if I'm right, will allow you to use any 10 DIP Liteon common anode setup.

In other words -
Blue
Yellow
Yellow/Orange
Super Red

Definetely a worthwhile project, man! +1.

Not quite. There are a couple reasons I couldn't use the 2 digit, 10 DIP 7 seg. displays. One might not be an issue, but the pin locations is. It was easier for me to layout an adapter for 2 single character 7 seg. displays.

BAD BRIAN said:
Thats pretty cool, now I don't know if its LED,LCD,VFD neither do I know how to spot one even if you where to throw them at my face, I'll open it up and take pics, do you order the lights or just head out to pepboys.

PepBoys has nothing useful for these mods.... except for perhaps some light window tint to replace any colored filters, such as the green on in the CC.

In a VFD you'll usually see a small glass tube/nipple sticking out of one side with it's end melted shut. There will also be some barely visible wires strung parallel hanging over the display's lower stratum. I'll try to post a picture of the one from the clock later tonight or tomorrow.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
CRE said:
Not quite. There are a couple reasons I couldn't use the 2 digit, 10 DIP 7 seg. displays. One might not be an issue, but the pin locations is. It was easier for me to layout an adapter for 2 single character 7 seg. displays.

So you went with 2 x 160-1515-5-ND instead?

BRIAN

Supramania Contributor
Jan 7, 2006
socal
CRE said:

PepBoys has nothing useful for these mods.... except for perhaps some light window tint to replace any colored filters, such as the green on in the CC.

In a VFD you'll usually see a small glass tube/nipple sticking out of one side with it's end melted shut. There will also be some barely visible wires strung parallel hanging over the display's lower stratum. I'll try to post a picture of the one from the clock later tonight or tomorrow.
ok cool, so just for the temp display you put a tint over it or is there a green tint on it that you took off then put tint on it.