7M stroker build

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
AJ'S 88NA;1387772 said:
I have Eagle "H" beam rods, didn't have to clearence the oil pump drive shaft.

What is your redline?
Maybe I would machine it to larger diameter, but from IJ experience Pauter rods will touch the shaft even at stock stroke. Though he was spinning it to 8500 rpm

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
HKS_TRD;1387940 said:
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but with all the quality gear going into the motor, why are you going with a cometic head gasket? I'm only asking based on what I have heard about them not being recommended for mega hp engines like your.

I'm loving the progress of this build, I had give a stroker a bit of thought myself

AFAIK only HKS stopper is superior to other grommet type gaskets. But stopper comes only in 1.2mm, 2.0mm and 3.0mm thickness.
1.2mm will be too thin for me, with 2.0mm I would have ~ 1.7mm piston to head distance. Cometic gaskets come in range 1.3mm, 1.5mm, etc. I can adjust to my desired 1.0-1.2mm squish.
I have read couple of times that squish something like 1.5-2.0mm (don't remember exact figures) is "no go" area. Don't know explanation to this though.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
mk3ukr;1388153 said:
What is your redline?
Maybe I would machine it to larger diameter, but from IJ experience Pauter rods will touch the shaft even at stock stroke. Though he was spinning it to 8500 rpm

I've seen 7500 on the Maft-Pro logs. Don't think I'd be spinning 8500, but it still seems to want to keep going at 7500.

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
IJ.;1388197 said:
Only ever saw Stoppers in 2.0mm and 86mm bore versions.

Rich told me they make them in 1.2mm size, I never verified it because it is too thin for me. BTW 86mm HG bore is also not ideal for 84mm cylinder - all these hot end gases hide in the crevices and induce detonation. OK, maybe this is small thing, but I try to pay attention to all these small things to make motor more efficient

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
AJ'S 88NA;1388264 said:
I've seen 7500 on the Maft-Pro logs. Don't think I'd be spinning 8500, but it still seems to want to keep going at 7500.

It's good to know you rev it so high :icon_bigg

Today mocked up crank/rods/pistons assembly to verify sufficient rod to block clearance. Found 2 places where rod was too close. Used putty to check rod beam to cylinder side clearances to make sure I notched block in correct place and deep enough.

Then removed oil gallery plugs, took block to the car wash and washed it with high pressure pump paying special attention to flushing all oil passages. Then washed it with brushes spray gun (compressed air + gasoline)
Today received my locally made fiberglass doors, weight 5.2kg each. I will weigh OEM door later when all internals will be removed

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
IJ.;1388495 said:
No intrusion beams in the Doors?

No. Ian, this is bare fiberglass shell, OEM doors (at least on my European market Supra) have no dedicated parts inside to protect from side impact.
Maybe they thought power window mechanism will help in case of accident:icon_bigg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mk3ukr;1388777 said:
No. Ian, this is bare fiberglass shell, OEM doors (at least on my European market Supra) have no dedicated parts inside to protect from side impact.
Maybe they thought power window mechanism will help in case of accident:icon_bigg

Ahhh I see ;)

Local delivered cars here have big ass folded beams inside the doors.

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
AbsoluteSpeed;1388665 said:
I want to see how well they fit, and how much they cost! :evil2:

I will pm the price.
They fit just like OEM doors, no difference. I gave now doors to the guy who will prepare them for paint job, convert to manual cranking mechanism and make lightweight door skin. Door skin will be something flat and simple, it won't be so nice as OEM

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
mk3ukr;1388436 said:
Rich told me they make them in 1.2mm size, I never verified it because it is too thin for me. BTW 86mm HG bore is also not ideal for 84mm cylinder - all these hot end gases hide in the crevices and induce detonation. OK, maybe this is small thing, but I try to pay attention to all these small things to make motor more efficient

Not 1.2mm Vlad, that is the bead type gasket, the other stopper is a 1.0mm

HKS makes a bead type in 1.2mm 2.0mm and 3.0mm

They also make a Stopper type in 1.0mm and 2.0mm

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
suprarich;1389058 said:
Not 1.2mm Vlad, that is the bead type gasket, the other stopper is a 1.0mm

HKS makes a bead type in 1.2mm 2.0mm and 3.0mm

They also make a Stopper type in 1.0mm and 2.0mm

I see, seems like I mixed up everything in my mind. I wonder if anybody ever used 1.0mm stopper, I guess piston crowns have to be shaved to use it

Today cleaned block one more time with white cloth and WD-40, then gapped piston rings to "turbo/nitrius/supercharged" specs as per CP chart.
Then layed the crankshaft and tightened main cups. So far so good...

Next 2 days I will be busy with some other things and return to my motor on Saturday.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I think there is suppose to be bolts instead of studs on the main by were the oil pump goes. Something about clearance in that area with studs if I remember right, might want to check it.