7M stroker build

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
After long delay today I pulled the motor from the engine bay. Fabricator nearly finished downpipe, it looks ridiculously big

He is waiting for 4' V-band to connect it to exhaust pipe
I was running infamous 3200 lb RPS pressure plate for the last 4 or 5 years, actually I am on second pressure plate. Out of interest I measured crankshaft axial runout - it was 0.016 mm. TSRM specifies 0.05 - 0.25 mm, max. permissible 0.30 mm.
Clutch disk is HPF ferramic, my clutch looks like any other abused clutch. Pressure plate straps look OK, I heard sometimes they buckle and break

Tomorrow will continue working on motor

Last edited:

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
IJ.;1362803 said:
So you're running it 3.5" out of the Turbine into a 4" after the lobster bends?

Y2K turbo has 4.5" V-band, flange is 4.5" with transition to 5". So downpipe is 5". On the bottom part it will be reduced to 4", this is size of my exhaust system. I hope this large diameter downpipe will help to spool turbo faster.

Ian, can you have a look at my block? Is this late model ribbed block or early block?

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I'm sure it's a good thing to have with the build you're doing. I remember IJ saying the early ones actually crack pretty frequently.
by the way, it looks good, keep it up!

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
sethron71;1363371 said:
This is an awesome build! That exhaust manifold is retarded! How long is each runner?

Seth

Why retarded? Runners are equaly long 90cm, nearly 3 ft. This is part of the plan to spool quicker big turbo. It should help to separate pulses and reduce blow-across effect between cylinders. If turbo was twin scroll it would be even more effective.
Heat loss in long runners will be more, I need to insulate them thoroughly. And I don't like very much sharp 90 deg. bends, but this is the only way to do it in MA70 engine bay.
I am also considering for the same purpose of quicker spool to order shorter duration higher lift cams next year. Now I have 7.9mm 272deg cams. Maybe need staggered cams 272 intake 268 exhaust ~ 9.5 mm lift

Last edited:

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
mk3ukr;1363486 said:
Why retarded? Runners are equaly long 90cm, nearly 3 ft. This is part of the plan to spool quicker big turbo. It should help to separate pulses and reduce blow-across effect between cylinders. If turbo was twin scroll it would be even more effective.
Heat loss in long runners will be more, I need to insulate them thoroughly. And I don't like very much sharp 90 deg. bends, but this is the only way to do it in MA70 engine bay.
I am also considering for the same purpose of quicker spool to order shorter duration higher lift cams next year. Now I have 7.9mm 272deg cams. Maybe need staggered cams 272 intake 268 exhaust ~ 9.5 mm lift

Haha, sorry mate. Like posted above, I meant very cool! lol I understand the concept of long runners as my manifold I just build has roughly 18" runners which I thought was long but no where near what you have going! It is like a snake pit trying to run the runners around in the MK3 bay. But thanks for the information and great build again!

Seth

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Today collected studs, nut and plate from machinist, now I have poor man ATI damper removal/fitting tool. Cost me less then 30 bucks :)

When I pulled the damper I found fretting on the dumper hub and some on crank snout. This picture shows the worst 3 spots, other area is OK. Should I have to worry about this?

Then pulled pistons, there is scuffing on transverse sides of cylinder and some on piston skirts. I am first time doing motor rebuild, don't know was this caused by overheating or because JE pistons skirt is shorter then OEM skirt?

Crankpin bearing shells looks good to me. Last time engine was rebuilt 6 years and 25K km ago. Was running on Castrol 0w30 all this time, maybe once or twice on 0w40

Removed oil pump driveshaft, to my great relieve oil clearance of shaft bushings is 0.025 mm, like new. I can imagine replacing of these bushings is major PITA :) Trust clearance is 0.12 mm, within specs 0.06 - 0.13 mm

In the end of the day removed main bearing cup no.1, wanted to compare it with TMS cup. TMS cup weighs 605g. , OEM - 511g. TMS billet cups look very solid when comparing with cast OEM cups

TMS cup fits VERY tight into the block, it is roughly 0.15-0.20 mm wider then OEM cup. I am not sure if it is normal or it will stress excessively the block

Last edited:

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Yesterday removed crankshaft, main bearing shells in far worse condition to compare with rods bearings. Soft white metal layer of thrust washer from front side peeled off and lodged between washer and thrust surface of the crank. That's why when I measured crank thrust clearance with dial gauge it was nicely within TSRM specs. Actually I was one step away from crankwalk.

I weighed my stock 6M crankshaft, 26 kg. So, Rich removed around 4.5 kg (10 lb) when knife edged the crank.
Today I took my block to machine shop, block will be ready in 2 days. I need rods and head gasket to start assembling motor, these things are delayed because of unexpected surprises from USPS
Also went today to Toyota dealer and ordered new thrust collar and plate for oil pump driveshaft, thrust clearance of this shaft in the upper range of TSRM specs. I saw recently pictures of destroyed shaft here on Supramania, don't want it to happen with my motor
Today weighed my old 83.5 mm JE pistons and 84.0 mm CP. JE look more massive, but actually they are ligher - 415g, even with carbon not removed from the top of the piston crown. CP pistons are 433g each.

Last edited:

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
I forgot the name of maker, this is some German fluid. Previously I used Castrol SRF, last year they either discontinued it or it was unavailable here, don't know. In the same shop where I used to buy Castrol SRF they adviced me this stuff. Tomorrow if I don't forget will check it on the bottle in the garage

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
you can still get it just goggle blue brake fluid it will come up

i can get were i am good stuff used it in the fwd rally car lots of left foot braking