7M stroker build

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
carter;1366500 said:
I can't wait to see the end product, I'd also like to throw a stroker in mine. But as of right now, I'm a broke supra owner lol

Carter, don't worry, 7 years ago I was at the same stage as you - Lexus AFM, stopper HG and Suprasport stage 3 turbo.
I would not bother to buy stroker for turbo smaller then ~74 mm. This is just my opinion.
And SIP stroker is quite affordable, not like HKS stroker kit for 2JZ :aigo:

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
I received Pauter rods from Rich about 10 days ago, yesterday collected my short block from the machine shop. In the shop they bored mains (machinist complained TMS cups way too hard :icon_bigg), bored cylinders for my 84.0 mm pistons with main cups, torque plate and cam belt tensoner attached
Mains bearings clearance 0.08 mm (0.003'), big end 0.07 mm (0.00275'), piston to cylinder wall clearance 0.10 mm (0.0039')
I was unlucky with my Pauter rods, don't know, maybe they were prepared by some apprentice. Big end bores were not correctly sized and Rich had to resize them. Small end bushings were extremely oversized and oval, machinist said he never saw bushings so far away from correct size. He had to put other bushings. And finally today I mocked up crank assembly, checked rod no.1 thrust clearance, it is 0.34 mm. TSRM specifies 0.16 - 0.296 mm, max. 0.30 mm. These rods may bleed too much oil and reduce oil pressure. I measured rods width with micrometer, all of them 0.12 mm narrower to compare with OEM rods.
Today I deburred main cups and saddled after machining and ground some relieves for Pauter rods on the cylinder sides

Side view

Tomorrow I have to remove some material from the block sides where it interferes with rods motion

I was surprised to find that rods don't touch oil pump driveshaft, checked with feeler gauge - there is 0.40 mm (0.0157') gap between rod and shaft. I remember IJ experience with rods touching the shaft at 8500rpm. I am not going to rev that high, but with my stroker I want to machine the shaft down to 8.0 mm. Now it is 12.2 mm diameter

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The Pauter's should have been returned as soon as Rich found the big ends were missized :(

Mr Pauter was very helpful when I contacted him for replacement bolts during one of my rebuilds and very concerned about quality.

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Enraged, thanks. Will try to finish it in couple of weeks.

Ian, Pauter are very slow to deliver rods, I would have to wait till next summer with my rebuild if Rich returned this set. In September my 4 month vacation is over and I am back to my ship.

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
dubsupra209;1381671 said:
looks like a very good build cant wait to see some video footage... :biglaugh:

So far so good, want to finish it and drive my car.
Today knocked off at 11pm, I work in my friend's shop, it is 1.5 hour by bus from my place. I can't borrow my wife's car every day, do it only when I really need a car to transport something.
Measured crankshaft thrust clearance - 0.20 mm. TSRM says 0.05 - 0.25 mm, max 0.30 mm. I want it tighter, called Toyota, delivery time for 0.125 mm oversize thrust washer 3 weeks. I cut 0.12 mm shims from beer can :biglaugh:, will put them from rear (not loaded) side.
No.2 rod interferes with oil pump, I had to grind some meat from oil pump seat and pump body

Tomorrow want to finish clearance job on block, I want 2.5-3.0 mm (0.10-0.12') clearance between rods and block sides

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
mk3ukr;1381664 said:
Ian, Pauter are very slow to deliver rods, I would have to wait till next summer with my rebuild if Rich returned this set. In September my 4 month vacation is over and I am back to my ship.

Val - It was not Pauter that was slow. Remember we had those rods last year when you first purchased them. Then you when to work for all that time and we held the rods here untill you came back from work this year. So the rods were already a over a year old. The real problem with the rods was that the USPS destroyed the box and the contents to the point that they returned the package to me as a damaged shipment after I called and did a search for the missing box.

Two of the rods had been scratched. Rather than wait for the lenght of time to file claim with the usps and to wait for new rods from pauter, we elected to glass bead these rods to clean them up. It was only when I was instecting the scratched rod that I found it to be undersize, and then discovered the remaining to vary in size enough that we just resized them to all to a perfect 4 decimal place.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
its taking alot of massaging to get the bottom end together but should bring good results. nice work.

btw, thanks for the link on the brake fluid!

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Today finished clearancing block, I am glad this PITA job is over

Mashined oil pump driveshaft down to 8.2 mm, gap between rod and shaft will be 2.5 mm (0.10'). I feel uneasy about this shaft being so thin :(

I found some old picture I saved long time go. I think this is Adjuster's stroker motor, his shaft diameter is not so small as mine

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
mk3ukr

yeah all stroker motors have interferance problems with the oil pump drive shaft. I caught this while building my short block and advised adjuter to check it x4 also.

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
figgie;1383148 said:
mk3ukr

yeah all stroker motors have interferance problems with the oil pump drive shaft. I caught this while building my short block and advised adjuter to check it x4 also.

Seems like all stroked 7M owners option is Pauter, I wonder if other good rods (Crower, etc.) require less grinding

Today took my crankshaft for balancing, machine operator put it on rollers and found at once a lot of static disbalance, forget about spinning it to balance dynamically. He asked me to take crank to the shop where they ground it one week ago to verify crank is straight.
I went there, they put crank on plocks and found 0.07 mm runout :icon_conf
This crankshaft was bent when they dropped it in the post office last year. 2 months ago it was straightened with hammer. One week ago when crank was ground in the shop they found 0.12 mm runout and straightened it with press before grinding. Now it has 0.07 mm runout
In the shop they told me it will be heated up to 100 deg.C and straightened again with press today.
I decided to wait till next Monday and check it again on blocks next week

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Today was my day :icon_bigg
In the morning collected crankshaft from the workshop, they straightened it 5 days ago and it has stable 0.015 mm (0.0006') runout :love:
Received 3 boxes from Rich, now I have everything to start motor assembly tomorrow.
Cometic 1.5 mm gasket. I wanted to order gasket after putting motor together and measuring pistons deck height, but after seeing all these delays I guessed my pistons will be ~ 0.3 mm above deck. I would like to have 1.0-1.1 mm squish.
Tial type Q bov (big one), Hawk pads for my wife's car, Greddy oil temp. gauge and SMI intergrate unit (thanks to Rich and Greddy, I received it for free :icon_bigg). Also Wilson nitrous overpressure valve - after seeing nitrous explosion in intake manifold I better use this safety valve

CSR kevlar tranny shield, weight less then 3 kg

Shifter and oil dipstick for my future th350

Derale Atomic-cool transmission oil cooler, it is quite small, not sure if it has sufficient cooling capacity. I know some folks run 2 coolers, though it depends how efficient torque converter and how high stall. My automatic transmission knowledge very limited

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
mk3ukr;1383942 said:
Seems like all stroked 7M owners option is Pauter, I wonder if other good rods (Crower, etc.) require less grinding

I have Eagle "H" beam rods, didn't have to clearence the oil pump drive shaft.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but with all the quality gear going into the motor, why are you going with a cometic head gasket? I'm only asking based on what I have heard about them not being recommended for mega hp engines like your.

I'm loving the progress of this build, I had give a stroker a bit of thought myself

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
HKS_TRD;1387940 said:
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but with all the quality gear going into the motor, why are you going with a cometic head gasket? I'm only asking based on what I have heard about them not being recommended for mega hp engines like your.

I'm loving the progress of this build, I had give a stroker a bit of thought myself

say what?

it is metal? What more do you want? Tungsten?