2JZ NA-T in my 87T

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
hottscennessey said:
Thanks, but that didn't do it. But thats good for people hoping to take this route with the 2JZ and the 7M electronics, it explains what must be done to fit the CPS to the 2JZ head.

Edit: I'm at work so I missed a small part of it talking about installing the CPS 180* out. I'll have to try that.

Im sure you figured this out already because your car is running but I dont think the CPS would have to be 180 out with the Stinger.

The Stinger is a universal EMS right?

The only reason it would have to be 180 out or you would have to switch G1 and G2 is in case you were using the 2JZ AEM or possibly a 2JZ setting you got for your stinger from another 2jzgte user. The 2JZ ECU uses G1 to tell it that the #6 is at TDC Compression while the 7M uses G1 to tell it that #1 is at TDC compression.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
you got it P5150, that didn't do it. What I ened up doing was switching around the wires to the coils.. when I wired in the lexus Is300 coils I mixed them all up somehow, and then I arranged them in all different random ways, and it worked :). I had to retard the base timing quite a bit to get it to run.

Now I've added 60% more fuel into the mix, and it idles nice.. a little bit rich.. but at least it keeps a good idle for now. I'll take it out for a good part throttle tune as soon as I fix my oil leak. (from a blockoff bolt on the sandwich adapter plate.. I was an idiot and forgot to tighten it while the motor was out. what a PITA).

Other than that the car runs great now! :)

SLO89MK3

Aug 2, 2006
Mesa, AZ
congrats on the good news. im the guy arz is talking about that is doing the swap also. im running into an issue that my turbo has no room with that exhaust manifold. i have the ebay one. how much room do you have from the strut tower?

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Hey,
Great to hear there are more of us going this route. I was afraid of manifold fitment being the only major hangup for this swap.

What is hitting the strut tower, is it the comressor housing or the actual manifold?

The way I did it, was I had to take the turbo and the wastegate off the manifold, only then was I able to get it all installed without hitting the strut tower. It was a tight fit for me, but I could squeeze it all on there with little room to spare.

Last edited:

SLO89MK3

Aug 2, 2006
Mesa, AZ
i have an on center exhaust housing for my turbo so it was pretty much going to be smashed if i continued to drop motor in. I just decided to cut the manifold and weld it. i figure when i go for a new turbo setup whats 130 dollars to just buy another manifold lol. this is just a temporary setup to get my car running. and funds are very limited right now. i know, bad idea, but its what has to be done. hopefully sometime next week ill get to start it.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Okay guys, I'm about ready to take the car out for a spin, only problem is my E-Fans are not cutting on!

I'm so pissed, I bought a kit from advanced auto for electric fans, and it has a "snap switch" which cuts on at 185*. Does anyone know aprox. where that is on the stock temerature gauge? Maybe it just hasn't warmed up enough for them to cut on? My wiring is all perfect, its just the damn snapswitch!

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
you could boil or heat the sensor and then check the contacts to see if they open

My bet is that you wont need it. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I was thinking about that, but then I'd have to take my radiator out. It's really hard to get to.

Hmm... I guess I'll procrastinate, instead of using my time wisely and just doing it ;)

SLO89MK3

Aug 2, 2006
Mesa, AZ
i havent been taking any pictures really lol. i probably should take some soon. i still have some things to clean up and get done before i take any pictures of it. Any of you guys plan on going to vegas this year, could have a little section going of na-t 2js lol. ill try and get some pics up sometime this week.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Well guys I just wanted to update a little and say I drove the car around today on BigAaron's 7M map. The car was very different from my 7M. The motor feels so crisp and revable (lightweight flywheel helps I'm sure).. the clutch is going to take some getting used to (clutchnet 6 puck sprung).. and steering at low speeds is definately going to help me build some muscle since I've eliminated the power steering.

I'm going to start tuning for part throttle using the Stingers Tune Analyzer, which should actually tune my car for me. As I said the car is running off of the 7M map, and needs A LOT of tuning.

I'm really happy with my project as of now. I can't even explain how much more confident I feel with this motor. I love having a substantial ammount of oil pressure at all times (as opposed to the 7M). The motor definately has a higher pitch to it when it revs (less of the braun-ie exhaust note). I love having no oil leaks (so far), and I love not hearing the rediculous valve train chatter, and I love not seeing a cloud of oil smoke behind me (I went through 3 turbos).

Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the 7M, obviously mine was worn- but it was really good to me! This is just so much different already, in a good way. I can't wait to put some boost through this thing :)