2JZ NA-T in my 87T

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I used some Ford V-8 wires, I fuggin forgot which ones though... damn, this would have helped you out a lot.

The end connectors fit snug on the 7M coils, and they are like, three feet long, so I was going to mount the coils on the firewall. They are solid core, so they'll work.

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
I need to pick up a fuel fitting from the local race shop, so I'll bring a stock wire in with me and see if I can find something with an end that will fit in the 7M coil.

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
How cheap can you get a TT ECU and ignition though? The goal of my 2JZGE swap it to keep the cost down, cheaper than rebuilding a 7M for the whole swap would be ideal. Obvioulsy you guys are taking a different approach, but by the time you're done a couple thousand more for a 2JZGTE wouldn't have been that big of a deal.

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
That's true, I guess I'm just pondering at what point the savings of getting the 2JZGE get lost in all the extra costs and you could have just gone 2JZGTE. I will be running mine on 7MGTE electronics, but I suppose if I was turboing a car that came with a 2JZGE in it this would make more sense as a way to get a more boost friendly ECU and get rid of the distributor at a lower cost than an AEM or other standalone.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I dont really see the extra costs; most people go big single with the gte anyways...

I knew out the gate that I would be using aftermarket ignition with a custom FFI and standalone - I wouldnt have been able to afford the CDI and ECU if I didnt purchase a GE instead of a GTE. Yes, I had to buy a set of coil packs too, but those came in around 120 bucks.

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
Well if you would have replaced the stock GTE stuff with aftermarket anyway then the GE is definantly the way to go if all you want is basically a 2JZ longblock. But upgrading a GE with thicker HG, 7M CPS, TT coils, TT igniter (?), TT harness (?), TT ECU, TT AFM(?) and FFIM would add quite a bit of cost, I'm sure it's still less than a GTE even if you sold the stock twins, but it's getting closer.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I was thinking about running it off a JDM TT ECU and harness, but then that would also involve me splicing the body harness. I don't really feel like dealing with that right now. Then I can just plug in the stinger to where the 7M ECU was and have a pnp' solution.

We'll see what I actually end up doing tho.. I'd definately consider it if I could find a harness, ECU, ignitor, coils, etc for cheap enough.

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
looks good man. i must admit that you have me doing some serious thinking here...

i really love the idea of running the 2j with the 7m harness and computer... i mean, what else is different? it would be very simple...

im doing some more research today, and im probably goin to go the na-t route with my car. it spun a few bearings again, and frankly, im sick of the 7m. i would go 1j, but it costs a lot more than i am willing to spend. with a 2j na swap, i would be able to choose all my own turbo stuff (which i would have done anyways) and still rely on the stoutness of the 2jz.

please let me know when you get it up and running (even if its just a start up)... that would boost my spirits a lot.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
supra87t/t4 said:
Well if you would have replaced the stock GTE stuff with aftermarket anyway then the GE is definantly the way to go if all you want is basically a 2JZ longblock. But upgrading a GE with thicker HG, 7M CPS, TT coils, TT igniter (?), TT harness (?), TT ECU, TT AFM(?) and FFIM would add quite a bit of cost, I'm sure it's still less than a GTE even if you sold the stock twins, but it's getting closer.

Well just to get up and running you dont need the CPS, coils, igniter and you most definately dont need the tt harness.

I wouldnt do a swap and put in a 2jzge ECU. I would rather try to use a 7mgte ECU with a MAFT

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Definately, I've been really happy with the MAF-T and I'm sure it will do great just to get me up and running on a 10 PSI tune.

BTW: we should start to see some serious progress with this setup in the next couple weeks, just as long as everything goes my way :)

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
I got mine running over the weekend, just set in the car and started and idled for a minute or two, probably won't be driveable for quite awhile, just wanted to check my wiring and see what other issues I would run into. Biggest problem I found was that the throttle cable is a couple inches too short, which one do I need?

I'll post a few pics in a new thread later.

jam4484

MKIII Lover
Jul 24, 2005
Tolland CT
This seems like a great idea, as you have explained it pretty welll and I might have to go this route! What 2jzge do you need? Can you use an sc300 one or a supra one and does it have to be obdI or can it be obdII? keep up the great work and I am really thinking hard about this swap now because of you and p5150.

Jon Martens

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Awesome Supra87T! Thats great! Right now I'm working on installing my tranny to the motor.. what a PITA. It's something simple.. that or I'm a little girl.

Jam448, thanks! Basically, to go this route you need a Sc300, or Supra 2JZGE. You could use the GS300 2JZGE, but that would require swapping the oil pan to a rear sump pan. If you're running it off the 7M electronics you can use either OBDI or OBDII. Keep us updated if you do plan on going this route.

PS.. anyone have tips for mounting tranny to engine?

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
Are you trying to do it in the car or out of the car? Did you align the clutch? Or are you using a R154 and haven't bolted up the PP yet?