2JZ NA-T in my 87T

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Looks awesome Scott! I'm thinking of doing the same thing for my Supra.. It'll save me a shitload of money on engine internals and machine work...

One thing worries me, see how little the belt grabs on the crankshaft pulley? That's not enough surface area to drive all those accessories.. the belt will squeal like crazy all the time.
It should have at the minimum, the amount of coverage that the PS pump and alternator have. But I was just looking at it and can't really see any way to pull it closer to the crankshaft pulley... There's nowhere to fit an idler pulley anywhere... hmm.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
supra90turbo said:
Looks awesome Scott! I'm thinking of doing the same thing for my Supra.. It'll save me a shitload of money on engine internals and machine work...

One thing worries me, see how little the belt grabs on the crankshaft pulley? That's not enough surface area to drive all those accessories.. the belt will squeal like crazy all the time.
It should have at the minimum, the amount of coverage that the PS pump and alternator have. But I was just looking at it and can't really see any way to pull it closer to the crankshaft pulley... There's nowhere to fit an idler pulley anywhere... hmm.

Thanks Kurt, it's definately an interesting alternative, and things are nearing an end.

I was actually waiting for someone to comment on the belt. that's not how I'll be running the belts. There is an Audi belt which is shorter, it will allow me to cover the majority of the pulley. I need to look up the part number for it. I was actually considering ditching the PS, but I cant figure out how I'd like to run the belts yet.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
hottscennessey said:
400WHP will be so easy.. you should have no problem. Info on the 7MGTE electronics... hmm.

you need to do some grinding and cutting on the CPS, first of all.. to make it fit. This way you can use the stock ignitor, and coil pack. Coil packs will need a custom mount.
Switch over temp sensors from the 7M (ECU and gauge)
Switch over 7M Oil PSI sensor
Switch over 7M knock sensors
Switch over 7M injectors (can run stock 440's without piggyback)
Use stock O2 sensor, or wire in 2JZ O2 sensor. Either will work (with appropriate clip)
Use TPS plug from 2JZ wiring harness
ISC is the same
Use alternator clip from 2JZ wiring harness
Use 7M AFM, or Lex AFM w/ 550's. (if you want to keep it simple.. should suite your goal easily)

Legnthen/shorten harness where appropriate.

I'd suggest tapping the fuel rail with an M12*1.25 tap to utilize the stock FPR to keep fuel pressure the same. I'm using my aeromotive kit from my 7M.

I'm probably forgetting a few little things.. This is just off the top of my head.

Which wire harness 7m or 2jz? Can you post some pics of how and where you grinded the CPS

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
7M wiring harness is the one you use, this means you don't have to wire anything into the body harness. I'll post some pictures of the CPS, the way I did it, it took me about 25-30 minutes to make it fit and make it fully adjustable.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
looks like there is going to be another 2jz NAT guy on this forum. i just struck a deal with the owner of a complete supra 2jz-ge that has around 2k miles on the rebuild. looks like im going to see just how hard it is to adapt jza80 wiring to a ma70 body.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
most people run standalone, or run on the 2jz-ge ecu because it came in their car. if i go turbo, im going to use the 2j ecu, because thats what im wiring up in my car.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
so if you are like me a mkiii owners doing the swap which route would be the less difficult one? I dont want to be doing the same type of wiring that a 1jz swap would need...... I am confused if your are using the 7m wiring harness aren't u using the ecu also?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
nah, im going to be wiring the jza80 2jz-ge harness and ecu into my car, and if i decide to turbo it later, ill do so and add on a piggyback.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
foreverpsycotic said:
nah, im going to be wiring the jza80 2jz-ge harness and ecu into my car, and if i decide to turbo it later, ill do so and add on a piggyback.
so you're putting a 2J-GE in your car and it's still going to be NA? :hsugh:

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
OneJoeZee said:
so you're putting a 2J-GE in your car and it's still going to be NA? :hsugh:

lol, im getting it running in my car, and then going turbo. that and i dont have enough $$ to do everything at the same time.

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
man scott you are slacking:biglaugh: you should be done by now ;)

how far along are you on completing the swap? its been a while since i last talked to you so i just want a update:icon_bigg

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
haha, swaps going well. Just replaced the HG, replaced some seals, finished the turbo oil lines. Tapped the fuel rail for my AFPR... next step is to drop it in. :)

More pics to come.

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
Update?

If I don't hit any snags I think I will be able to drop mine in (2JZGE with 7M electronics) this weekend and start it up, just to make sure all the wiring is good, then I'll take it back out and finish the rest of the details. Biggest unknown right now is plug wires. The stock 2JZGE intake doesn't leave much room for the 7M coilpack on top of the motor, hopefully I can scrounge up a couple sets of 7MGE wires and have enough long wires to get it running temporarily.

Last edited:

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
This looks like a nice cheaper and good way to make big power in the mk3 and still be realiable, my buddy is considering doing this if he does I'll have him build me one as well, 2JZGE = CHEAP

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
No updates guys.. motor was supposed to go in two weekends ago. My friend took it upon himself to lend me a hand while I stepped inside.. he hammered the rear main seal all the way into the engine and destroyed it. It comes tomorrow, I've been waiting two weeks for it.

Plug wires are a little bit of a pain.. you can't use the stock 7M plug wires with the 2JZ spark plug cover because the plug wires dont reach. I'm just going to do without the cover, and then I'll make a new one later.

I'm either going to mount the coil pack on the firewall, or weld bolts to the valve covers so I can mount them like the 7M. I'll be switching to GTE valve covers later anyways. Sethron's currently making me a FFIM, so mounting shoudlnt be too difficult for me.