2007 supra

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i <3 the is300, but as for the supra: everyone has seen the spy pics, if it does come out itll be interesting.

in Sport Compact Car this month, they hinted at a new Supra coming out when they were talking about the TRD X-Runner. i cant wait, but i dont have my hopes up either (no turbo, yet.)

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
Its would be a huge threat to all sport cars like the Corvette Z06, Porsche 911 TT, Viper, Ford's New GT40 and many other expensive high performance sport cars. This will be a BEAST on and off the track. So, start saving your money or start selling your MKIV Supra.

:biglaugh:

right......i wouldnt even sell my mkIII

oh this is from the link from the first page by wingman...

927mgtepat

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Brighton, MI
I didn't read this whole post, but there is an article in the November Issue of Road and Track about the New 2008 Toyota supra. They are coming out with it and they do have a picture of the real concept. Not bad looking, but will have a 3.5L V6 NA and will be priced around the same as a 350 Z.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I've read a bit of this thread, and frankly, it's like every other "New Supra" thread I've read over the years. Full of dreams, but with no real substance. I don't want to sound rude, cuz we'd all love a new supra, but it just won't happen.

So there are new "spy" shots out. So a few magazines have starting hinting that something might be coming simetime. So what? We've all seen and heard this dozens of times before, year after year.

I'm sorry to say it, but Toyota's abandoned us. Even the Celica and MR2 gone. We can't order many OEM parts for our MKIIIs any more. It won't be long before there are no OEM parts for the MKIVs.

Sure the LF-A was cool, but Toyota hasn't followed the concept up at all. There's been nothing new on it since it came out. And even if they did give in and make a MKV, nobody would be able to afford it. Competeing against the 350Z would be good, but standing up to the new Camaro? Maybe. The new Z06 or Shelby Cobra? Unlikely. Not that it isn't possible, just that they won't do it.

I mean, when was the last time Toyota make a 400hp engine? Chevy, Ford and even Dodge have been putting 400hp monsters in their cars for a while now, and their engines are cheaper than ours by a damn-sight. It's a market Toyota has no presence in, and hasn't for years. They're not just gonna jump in and try to push out the big boys that have ruled it for the last 40 years.

Here's a good stat for you. Between 93 and 98, Toyota made less than 7000 2JZ-GTE Supras for sale in the states. During the same time Chevy made over 155000 Z28 Camaros during the same time. As for Firebirds, Mustangs, Vettes, Vipers, ... who knows. Toyota knows they've got no pull over the high-hp market in the states, so why would they try? The Camry and Corolla, along with the entire Scion line, sell like hotcakes and make them a fortune, so why would they risk profit just to please us?

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Neodeuccio - your logic for the production numbers point is flawed.

7000 2JZ-GTE's in the USA? What about 2JZ-GEs? That would increase that count.

During the same period (93 - 98) Dodge only sold ~6500 Vipers in the USA and Acura only sold ~3000 NSXs (again USA numbers).

You cannot compare the Supra to the Firebird, Camaro, or the Mustang. Those cars are a dime-a-dozen and cost about half what the Supra did.

Why are the Vette and the Viper in production? Marketing.

You can bet that there won't be 10s of thousands of Ford GTs rolling around.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
KeithH said:
Neodeuccio - your logic for the production numbers point is flawed.

7000 2JZ-GTE's in the USA? What about 2JZ-GEs? That would increase that count.

During the same period (93 - 98) Dodge only sold ~6500 Vipers in the USA and Acura only sold ~3000 NSXs (again USA numbers).

You cannot compare the Supra to the Firebird, Camaro, or the Mustang. Those cars are a dime-a-dozen and cost about half what the Supra did.

Why are the Vette and the Viper in production? Marketing.

You can bet that there won't be 10s of thousands of Ford GTs rolling around.

What's wrong with my logic? The 2JZ-GE's are just 3.0L sixes. Nothing spcial about them. If I were gonna count them, why shouldn't I include every car GM every made with the supercharged 3800 S2?

And why can't I compare the Supra to the Camaro or F'Bird or Mustang? I agree they're a dime a dozen, but look at every number other than cost and they're clearly the closest match. The Viper, Vette, GT, Shelby 500's... they all outpower the 2JZ-GTE by a huge amount, and cost well over $20k more...

gotta go, class time, more later...

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
its a nice dream ;) although knowing todays toyota's path, but it would be more likely to see a supra powered with electricity or hydrogen, not inline turbo powered rwd monster lol :D Toyota chose cheap, calm and economy car path... I loved the old toyota with Supra III-IV, Celica GT4's, GZE starlets and so on. The new toyota is just a car manufacturer with realiable image, but nothing more, no sport's car's anymore :(

JonnyRedline

Lickalotapus
Sep 2, 2005
Supra's Interior
fs-cala.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

looks a lot like the mkiv...i think toyota shuld buy the rights to this car and make it so:evil2:

JENNY!

Supracute
Mar 29, 2006
Dublin, CA
www.myspace.com
i read some atricle some time ago - v8-rwd- hard top only, 2 seats only.
or with a 4.2L v8 witll be convertable and crap. or with v6!convertable and such. but its never going to happen.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Back...

As I was saying, the LT1 F-Body is a logical comparison for the MkIV GTE. Sure they're a dime a dozen. But other than price, all of the numbers they made were very similar. The 2ZJ made 320 hp while the LT1 made 300. The 2JZ made a little over 300 torque, the LT1 made about 340. Weight? There was less than a 120lb curb difference.

Vette, Viper and GT you say? Well, let's see what they've got... The LT4 from the C4 vettes made about 330 hp and over 350 torque, plus it weighed over 200 pounds less. When they switched to the LS1 in the mid 90's every one of those gaps to larger. The viper made over 400 hp and about 465 torque. GT? Over 500 for each. They lighter, stronger, faster, they've got better gearing... Every one of those cars you mentioned out classes and out performs a stock MkIV hands down. That's why I didn't compare them. It's like comparing my MkIII to a Civic... it's just pointless.

Get the Road and Track Mag, It has all the new cars for 2008 in it and sure as shit the Supra is one of them.
As for the article in Road and Track, I read it last week, and I just don't have any reason to believe them. Did you look at their "2012 Mustang?" Compare it to the 2007/2008 Camaro. Notice any similarities? How about that fact that it's the same car? Their job at R&T is not to report the truth, but to sell a magazine. I can't count how many "New Supra" magazines and webpages I've seen in the last 5+ years. And how many of them have been right? None. Sure R&T is a big name, but what does that really mean? It means people buy their bullshit. Think about it, if Toyota was close enough to a MkV for R&T to have a picture of the prototype, why hasn't anyone else seen it? Why aren't there any pics of it during testing? Why hasn't it been seen at any shows? Virtually every other highly anticipated car has been released at some important show, so why would Toyota show off the most important release in years to a $4 magazine before anything else? It just doesn't add up.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say R&T was pulling the whole Supra story out of their asses just like every other "New Supra" writer in the last 8 years.

This shit just doesn't add up. And I'm sorry as hell to be the one that put it in writing.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
Neodeuccio said:
Think about it, if Toyota was close enough to a MkV for R&T to have a picture of the prototype, why hasn't anyone else seen it? Why aren't there any pics of it during testing? Why hasn't it been seen at any shows? Virtually every other highly anticipated car has been released at some important show, so why would Toyota show off the most important release in years to a $4 magazine before anything else? It just doesn't add up.

I know someone who has seen it, and infact has driven it. If you search you'll find where I wrote this a few months ago:

"the last auto show i went to was the LA auto show and the toyota rep there said they are working on a new supra but gave no more info

but the best clues i got is from a friend of my girlfriend's .... she knows this guy that owns a car magazine (i keep meaning to ask her which one), this guy is loaded, drives a new car every day it seems, very nice person too... but anyways he gets to test drive every single high end sports car that ever hits the auto shows sometimes before its even displayed to the public. she knows i'm a supra nut obviously and so she asked him and he couldn't say much to her of course, but basically he has driven it already.... that was about 6-7 months ago."

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I was referring to Supras with 2JZ-GEs. I am sure that your 2JZ-GTE #s did not include the other vehicles that came with that particular powerplant. I just wanted to point out the lack of inclusion of a LOT of MkIV Supras in your numbers by only counting the Turbo Version - even though we all know (have had beaten into us) that the only "TRUE" Supras on the planet were sold from 1993 to 2002 and only came with the 2JZ-GTE. :) Every other car that has a Supra badge on it is just a poseur.

At the end the Supra was a niche car - like the Viper, Vette, etc. Mustangs, Camaros, and Firebirds are not. This was a choice Toyota made.

We will likely never see another Supra. The closest we will get is the Lexus SC.

racingtoyota007

Sep 16, 2006
Georgia
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060815/FREE/60814015/1041/TOC01ARCHIVE[/url]

scroll down, says supra - not going to happen =(

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
OH $#!T I need to stop buying cars. So far I am 2 - 2 for buying a car and having Toyota discontinue it. First the Supra - I bought it in 96 and Toyota stopped bringing them to the USA after 1998. Then I bought a 2006 Solara and now they say they will kill that after the 2008 model. YIKES! I have the 2-year curse. :)

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
KeithH said:
I was referring to Supras with 2JZ-GEs. I am sure that your 2JZ-GTE #s did not include the other vehicles that came with that particular powerplant. I just wanted to point out the lack of inclusion of a LOT of MkIV Supras in your numbers by only counting the Turbo Version - even though we all know (have had beaten into us) that the only "TRUE" Supras on the planet were sold from 1993 to 2002 and only came with the 2JZ-GTE. :) Every other car that has a Supra badge on it is just a poseur.

At the end the Supra was a niche car - like the Viper, Vette, etc. Mustangs, Camaros, and Firebirds are not. This was a choice Toyota made.

We will likely never see another Supra. The closest we will get is the Lexus SC.

Of course I was only counting the Supras that came from the factory with 2JZ-GTE's. Just like I was only counting the V8 Camaros. And I left out all of the swapped and modified cars, as well as all of the 2JZ Soarers. Firstly it's nearly impossible to count all of those, and secondly, it just didn't apply. The comparison was of the production number of the top end versions.

And just because a car with Supra a supra badge doesn't have a 2JZ-GTE doesn't mean it's a poseur. When its production started, the turbo MkIII was the fastest car coming out of Japan. How does that make it a poseur? And how can MkIIIs be poseurs if the 2JZ-GTE is just a development of the 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE engines? No offense, but that poseur comment was just dumb.

Anyway, I've gotta go. More later...