Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
bluemax said:
Your right. Its in the 4 banger.
If it was in the 6 banger I might have got one. My sister has the original IS. Its a nice car, but not really performance minded. But Toyota might make a 8 cylinder IS to compete with the M3.

IS250 and IS350 are both V6 cars. The IS250 is a 2.5L V6.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i disagree on one point, having a turbo equipped model to me, is now essential in making a supra a supra.

thats just my opinion.

if a new supra does come out, and it does not have a turbo option i will be severely disappointed.

xscurry

Apr 1, 2005
Houston, Texas
KeithH said:
Your own post brought my reply. It just cheezes me off that so many people have this misunderstanding that for a Supra to be a Supra it must have a turbocharger, and I just wanted to set the record straight.

The Turbocharger did not define the Supra. That was my point..

I totally agree that the turbo models were geared (pun intended) more for performance - but that was not part of your post (or my reply).

Sorry Keith, I have to disagree with you there. Like the domestic counterparts, the Mustang and Camaro, the defining characteristic are the performance editions. When ever most people think of the Mustang they think of the Mustang GT and likewise the Camaro Z28 or SS. The same can be said for the RX7 (FC and FD), 300ZX (Z31 and Z32) and even the Skyline GTR (R32-R34) turbo editions. The turbocharged models are the defining characteristic of the Supra. IMHO anyway. :icon_bigg

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
xscurry said:
Sorry Keith, I have to disagree with you there. Like the domestic counterparts, the Mustang and Camaro, the defining characteristic are the performance editions. When ever most people think of the Mustang they think of the Mustang GT and likewise the Camaro Z28 or SS. The same can be said for the RX7 (FC and FD), 300ZX (Z31 and Z32) and even the Skyline GTR (R32-R34) turbo editions. The turbocharged models are the defining characteristic of the Supra. IMHO anyway. :icon_bigg

Actually, you will find that the largest part of the population only considers the body (and the fact that it says Mustang etc on the back). Yes, there are performance heads out there that will go for the top level of a particular car but that is NOT the defining part of that car. How many people bought 6cyl Mustangs and Camaros compared to the higher end versions? The vast majority of the Mustangs and Camaros on the road today are not the top of the line models.

In 1999 alone only 40% of all Camaros produced had the top end powerplant. Less than 30% had a manual transmission.

The simple fact is that each generation of the Supra was near the top of the automotive food chain when it came out - and now even the almighty MkIV TTs are outdated as other cars have newer technology to close the gap in performance.

The Turbo is NOT a defining characteristic for the Supra. If it was then 100% of all Supras would have one (or more). The simple fact is they don't.

That would be like saying the 6 speed transmission is what makes a Supra a Supra.

All Supras do have an inline-6, 2 doors, and a hatchback.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
KeithH said:
That would be like saying the 6 speed transmission is what makes a Supra a Supra.

That's not saying the same thing. Whether it be Auto or 5 speed or 6 speed, they were all geared toward performance. The bottom line was that it "was" turbocharged.

Keith, I know exactly why you are making this point and I understand what you are trying to say...but IMHO, being turbocharged is just an option for the Supra that when the word SUPRA comes to mind, I think of the highest level of Supra's that we know of today.

Again, I understand that there were more Naturally Aspirated Supra's then Turbo's...but as many other people are saying...When it comes down to it, a majority of people remember the Supra for what it is...and that being Turbo equipped.

Well I'm done here. This is my opinion. Judge me for it.

Jeff

ProgectSupraT

GT Driver
Jan 24, 2006
Indiana
Its going to be 2008 supra competing with the new skyline, rx8, corvette, and few other domestic coupes that are not on the map yet. Unfortunately Toyota will make a v6 and v8 engines only for the new gen Supra. Later in a decade the turbo will show up.
I cant wait to see one on our showroom floor with a $5kmark up lol.

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
IMHO the thing that makes a Supra a SUPRA is the owner!!! The defining characteristics are straight 6 hatchback two doors and a turbo. I own an n/a supra and i love my car but a turbo supra is where its at turbo FTW!!!(turbo motor coming soon)

Supra_brothers

Super Lurker
Oct 18, 2005
TX
CryoSlash said:
Mustang V6's aren't mustangs just like non turbo supras aren't supras, theyre just a heavier and less appealing version of the real thing.

:rofl: :eek:ffwall: :rofl: lol nice